1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Calvin Miller

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by T.Rogne25, Oct 14, 2013.

Discuss Calvin Miller in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

I'm a big advocate of letting him battle it out with Sinclair on the left, think going forward he's a great threat and just let KT shape into the all round CB who can read the game and control the passing from the back so guys like brown don't have to drop so far back to receive the ball.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic youngster Calvin Miller is still getting to grips with his new role but says he feels a different person since breaking through for his club.

The 19-year-old is hoping to make his bow for the Scotland Under-21s on Friday after being included in Scot Gemmill's squad to face Latvia and Ukraine in two important European Championship qualifiers.

Whilst most at his age are still learning their game, Miller is also adapting to a new position on the pitch having been converted into a defender by Brendan Rodgers.

Having grown up a winger, Miller featured at left-back against Partick Thistle. He still has the in-form Kieran Tierney ahead of him at club level but feels his early exposure to first-team action has helped his development a great deal.

"Sometimes when I'm training, I feel like I'm part of the squad," he said. "And when I play the youth games I feel more experienced and like one of the older ones in the team, so I can show that on the park. I'm still young but there are high hopes.

"Training has been so enjoyable and you learn so many different things.

"I feel like since I moved positions I've become a different person, I've learnt to become more aggressive and the defensive side of the game - and that is coming to me more and more."

Despite admitting he is "still a bit poor" defensively, Miller is keen to develop his game in an attacking sense and is targeting a more advanced role at the back.

He said: "The gaffer (Brendan Rodgers) said he had plans to play me as a wing-back - but for the first team they are basically wingers so I didn't really see that as a bad thing because its still the best team in Scotland and I wasn't doing that much defending.

"I was trying to take the positives from it because when you're an attacker from such a young age, you don't want to be told you're a defender.

"It was a bit of a shock to the system, but I've seen the positives to it."

He added: "I wouldn't say I see myself as a left-back, more of a wing-back.

" I like that term because that's still a bit higher up the pitch! I still feel like an attacker and more of a winger!"

3. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    Was rated best in the world at his age as a Striker, "Celtic: Let's turn him into a Left Back."

fml

4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Well that was obviously a gross exaggeration wasn't it?

Deco67 likes this.
  5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's better than Mbappe.

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Why does Moussa start for us anyway?

Officer Doofy likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

And don't get me started on Gabriel Jesus.

Zander likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    They’re just a * Calvin Miller

Zander likes this.
  9. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Do people actually believe this *?

10. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    * drugs have a lot to answer for. Like some posts on this thread!:90:

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    [​IMG]

Him in the middle row to left of centre, Harry Souttar(John Souttars brother) right of centre and Ralston left of the goalkeeper in the bottom row.

Murph-E likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CM: I thought we started off well and then we kinda invited pressure onto ourselves a bit. We needed more options on the ball

CM: “I thought in the second half we were better and we could have maybe put the game away. It was just one of those ones where you don’t get beat no matter what. We take the point and move onto the next game."

CM on making his first league start since August: "When you are training well and get thrown in – my last game was months ago – it’s hard to just come in and do well as consistency is a big part when you are playing, especially at a club like Celtic."

CM: " I thought I did alright but I just need to keep working hard and doing what I do to get another chance.”

13. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    He was pish. At 20 years old he has to be a bit better than that.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. TheHappyLoss

Never a left back in a million years

16. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Agreed, he's a winger not a left back.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Few decent ball's in but was quite weak defensively today..

Hammer throwing long ball side so maybe not the best to expose to very short full backs..

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hoops kid Calvin Miller has admitted that he will learn from close mate Kieran Tierney after deputising for the Scotland internationalist in yesterday’s 0-0 draw.

Tierney was rested for the game as Celtic look towards Thursday’s Europa League second leg in St Petersburg and Miller is keen to follow in his mate’s footsteps.

Tierney and Miller came through together at Celtic but it is only in the past year that Miller has been converted from a front player to a left-back.

“Kieran is the same age as me and is doing really well,” he said. “I’m happy at the position I’m in as back-up at the moment and hope to get more opportunities like today.

“I’m training with the best players in the league, so I’ll only get better learning from KT and the others.

“I was playing a year above myself when I was younger, so I was in the same development team as Kieran. We were at school together and we have always been close.

“I’ve only been playing this position for a year, I’m still learning it every day.

“I was put in there in a Uefa youth game against Manchester City. I did okay on the ball but not so good defensively. The gaffer wanted to turn me into a wing-back.

“I was a striker when I played in the development team, so it was a surprise. I was one of the most attack-minded players in that team.

“But when you play for Celtic, you are usually dominating other teams and are high up the park. So I see it more as wing-back.

“I’d never played there before in younger age groups.

“But it’s always good to have a variety of positions if the gaffer wants me to do a job somewhere else.

“I’m learning my defensive work. I feel I’ve become more aggressive recently and you have to have that in this position. I’m getting better at both sides of the game.”

Miller was close to going to St Johnstone on loan in the January transfer window. That was scuppered because of Celtic’s injury issues and the player is determined to force his way into the first-team as often as he can.

“It’s tough when you get thrown in,” he said. “My last game was back at the start of the season. Consistency is a big thing when you are at a club like Celtic. I felt I did alright but hopefully I can keep doing what I’m doing and get another chance.

“I knew there was the chance of going on loan to St Johnstone at Christmas time. It’s a big squad here and I was going to go there.

“But then we had a few injuries and the gaffer told me he wanted me to stay closer to the squad. That’s why I got my chance today because I’ve been working hard in training.”

19. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Good point, but give me at least one full stop.

20. Jeremie Frimpong

He’s not a left-back.