1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think, certainly in the last few years that he has been on the ball in tying down our assets.

Tierney, McGregor, Forrest, Christie and Ntcham all last year.

Broony and Boyata are the only 2 that have got close to the wire, I suspect Boyata was never signing it in any case and with Broony there was an understanding on all sides that it would happen.

Lilac Wine and Liam Scales like this.
  2. Cringer67

Eddy, Ajer and Christie next please and I promise not to ask anything from Santa

3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Especially the homegrown ones mate it’s as if he expects them to show more loyalty, that said it’s a changed game and Lawwell is anything but daft.

4. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    This is great news. He's been one of the backbones of the team for the last 3 or 4 years. I'm sure there's much more success to come.

Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think after the Ledley fiasco he has learned, but again, we nearly lost Broony last year and that shouldn’t have been allowed to happen.

Blochairnbhoy and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  6. RockhardBoss

Good news. :50:

7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Well done Celtic. Better than a new signing. Well done Lawell.:50:

8. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Excellent news, he's the best player in the league, behind Eddy.

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CALLUM McGregor is fast approaching his 250th appearance for Celtic, an impressive achievement in itself, but the midfielder is hoping to add considerably more to that tally in the seasons to come, having today signed a new five-year contract that will see him remain at the club until at least the summer of 2024.

It’s been an incredible journey for the 26-year-old midfielder, who joined the Celtic Youth Academy back in 2001, and having enjoyed unprecedented success since breaking into the first-team back in 2014, he’s looking forward to more over the next few years.

“When you start here as a young kid, you’re just focused on trying to get through the age groups,” Callum told Celtic TV in an exclusive interview. “You set yourself that one goal to get to the first team and play a first-team game, and I’m sitting here now coming up to my 250th game.

“To be at the club, hopefully, for the full five years, that will take me to 23 years at Celtic is something I could only have dreamt of as a young player.

“It’s been a tremendous four or five years for the club and obviously for me too. We’ve been winning pretty much everything on the pitch, the club’s growing on and off the pitch all the time and I’m just desperate to be a part of that.

“I feel as if I’m the best I’ve ever been in terms of performance, living on and off the pitch, I feel in a really good place and I’m delighted the club have rewarded that as well.

“It’s been a good start to the season, and I’ve tried to pick up where I left off last season in terms of performances and helping the team, so it’s been a great time.”

The midfielder, who has now been capped 17 times by Scotland, also believes that playing alongside Scott Brown, and under the guidance of Neil Lennon, will be beneficial for his continued development as a player.

“The gaffer’s been amazing since he’s come in,” said Callum. “He’s taken the club on from where Brendan left it and we’re going from strength to strength, getting even better, which you can see from the performances and the number of goals we’re scoring in every game.

“We’re top of our Europa League group and top of the table here, and into a cup final again, so it’s been a seamless transition. The relationship I’ve got with the manager is a top, top level and he’s been brilliant for me.

“And I also don’t think I can learn from anyone better than Scott Brown. You saw at the weekend at Hampden that his performance was absolutely outstanding. He dragged the team through the game and just when we were under a wee bit of pressure, he went and scored. So for me to be the understudy to him is incredible and I’m trying to learn all the time.

“As a professional you’re always wanting to get better in your game. You look at where the club is and potentially where it could be in a few years' time, and to have grown up in that, with nearly 20 years at the club, I know what it means to everyone – the fans, my family, myself, the players. It’s something really special and I want to keep being part of that.

“The club has been amazing since we started talking a couple of months ago. It’s been really smooth, it’s been a great transition and for the other players, that’ll be the blueprint – to come in, do well and the club will reward you. They will reward the players who are doing well and helping the team, and it’s a big statement.”

10. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I'll repeat the sentiments of a lot above edoaurd , ajer and Christie now please. If anyone wants to come for our top players they would wanna be dwarfing the Tierney fee..

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

11. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Ma bhoy :49:

bagforlife likes this.
  12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Well done Celtic, another big Contract to an important player, regardless of what happens gives us a bit of protection too.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    So he doesn't hate Lenny and hasn't been dying for a move?

Put that to bed firmly..

5 year's is great news..

We've been really good with our contracts by and large of late. Few more as mentioned above and we're laughing..

Well in Callum son..

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think we've had a similar conversation in the past re Ledley and I vaguely remember you mentioning you had a little more knowledge of the situation but this is what Lennon said on the 29th December 2013, before the January transfer window had opened (other player was Samaras):

"The ball is all very much in their court," said the manager. "It's getting to the point where there will be a lot of speculation.

"We've made it clear that we are willing to speak them and we have spoken to Joe already on the situation, but we've heard nothing back.

"The contracts are up in the summer and they are two players we don't want to go, but we can't force them to stay.

"We are doing everything we can at the minute to do that.

"We have had no indication either way of what the players want to do.

"It's a difficult situation for us and for them. We spoke to both of them personally a while back but had nothing back since."

In my opinion Broony was always going to sign, the Australia thing was a club being ambitious but unrealistic. I think there was an understanding on both sides and it allowed the club to focus on the higher priorities of tying up Tierney, McGregor, Forrest and Christie onto long-term deals.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  15. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Expect the huns to out-do us now by offering 6 year deals to Defo, Davis and McGregor...lol, actually wouldn't even surprise me.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You mean it was all a crock of * designed to undermine the manager?

Surely not?

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Would make 14 in a row easier with them taking to the pitch with their Zimmer frames.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I remember there was about a 15 page thread on follow follow where every second poster knew his staunch da and he and Callum were itching to get away from that * hovel and the Lurgan bigot. Lol..

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Great stuff, no doubt incoming bid fae leshter * in Jan or the summer..............:67:

Will need to be top dollar for CalMac's services. :41:

Lilac Wine, Rydo1888* and Seán Mac D like this.
  20. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Brilliant Calmac:57::57::57:

Lilac Wine likes this.