1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Agree, put in a solid shift.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IN a week when a DVD entitled ‘Captain - Leader - Legend’ was released to commemorate the outstanding service that Celtic skipper Scott Brown has given to the club over the last decade, there is little room for argument that whoever is next to pull on the armband has some pretty big boots to fill.

Neil Lennon believes though that in Callum McGregor, the natural successor to ‘Broony’, when he eventually retires, is already in situ at Celtic Park.

The midfielder took over the duty on Wednesday night when Brown limped off nursing a tight muscle in his leg, and he will do so once more this evening should Brown fail to recover in time for the Betfred Cup semi-final against Hibernian at Hampden.

And when it comes time for Brown to hand the armband over permanently, Lennon sees no better man suited to slipping it on than his midfield partner.

“I would have no qualms handing Callum the armband,” Lennon said. “I see him as a natural successor to Broony in that regard, when the time comes.

“His performance levels over the years have been so consistent and he’s playing as well as ever at the minute.

“We have two or three captains in that dressing room. (Chris) Jullien could do it, (Kris) Ajer takes responsibility, James (Forrest) is a bit quieter and I don’t think he’d fancy it!

“But there’s a few who wouldn’t shy away from taking the armband.

Callum’s consistency is not something I take for granted. People just expect him to be a seven or eight out of 10 every week. That’s not an easy thing to do and I admire him for it. I admire his professionalism because he’s playing at a really high level while there has been interest in him.

“When you are playing well you want to keep the momentum going, but I spoke to him on Tuesday, asking him if he wanted a wee break.

“But he said, ‘no, I want to keep going’. That was the answer I expected because when you are playing well you want to stay in the groove.”

One of the main reasons behind Celtic’s consistency as a whole has been a core of players including McGregor, Brown and James Forrest who have been churning out performances week after week for the cause.

Two of that trio have now signed up to long-term deals, with Forrest’s four-year contract extension being signed and sealed during the week, and Lennon hopes that McGregor will soon follow suit.

“We’re talking to one or two players, so hopefully we can get those contracts over the line soon too,” he said.

“Callum is one of them, he’s an important player and it would be good to get him tied down too.

“It’s important to have your core, and the core players here have been outstanding for the last three seasons.

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    McGregor as captain sounds perfect. Wee man is a buzz bomb and commands his area well. Among the best mids in the U.K. not a doubt for me.

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For my money, that's virtually an admission that the interest from Brendan Rodgers was a factor in his form recently. I acknowledge, as Lenny is at pains to stress, that he's still been playing very well by most standards; but by his own standards, there's been a bit of a drop IMO.

5. joemc

Have to say I've def noticed it over the last 5 games , his touch is not as perfect as it was , its caused him to lose possession a few times , but this drop is barely noticeable as his form is way above average .

Random Review and Dan Breen like this.
  6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I would like to see Nicham used to give him a rest, against dross sides.
    Just worried about going down the KT road with him.

7. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Most played footballer globally asked if he wants a wee break by his manager.

Man says he wants to keep playing.

says it all really!

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Sooner he signs a big contract extension the better, amazing player.

Tommy25, bagforlife and Dan Breen like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Thought he was really good in 1st half, 2nd half he was a wee bit off, although team was in general.

11. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Good goal and played well.

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    He was excellent, again. The intricate play is back. Hes stepped up a bit since the break

Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Looks to be finding his form again, some brilliant play and was driving us forward even late on, great energy.

Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Still my favourite Celtic player to watch in full flow but still can’t help but think he’d benefit massively with a fortnight to get some rest; mentally and physically.

It’s alright saying he’s crucial to us and that the best players always play but he’s putting more minutes in his legs than just about any player in Europe. That can’t be good.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Goal from Celtic Tv

bagforlife likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Personally don't think he's captain material but clever from Lenny publicly saying it. Makes it clear he's a main man in trying to get him to stay longer term (in my opinion that's what it's about)..

17. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Yeah I agree. Tbh I have the feeling his head has been turned. Something different about him since Rodgers left. I hope that I'm wrong

18. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Guy is probably flat out on his feet. This is the guy who played the most football in Europe last season. Barely gets a break. We should be careful not to burn him out. Happened to Michael Owen when Liverpool didn’t give him a breather. Done at 28 I think.

Dan Breen and PaulM1888 like this.
  19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * outstanding business.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace