1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Bottle of Shloer. Lovely.

2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Did he play much before Ronny? I never seen him before he took him back from 6 month loan. Was very surprised to see a player like that had been on loan at all.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The Notts County loan was the making of him. Academy bhoys should take note.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  4. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Oh cool so it was the experience of a different culture and maybe expectations, that's quite a quick response, I mean to find out how good he was in such a short time.

Aye I would send the kids out when they look like and feel like they can handle it, nothing teaches like travel.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE song dedicated to Callum McGregor by Celticsupporters boasts that there is no-one better.

In term of Scotland that is quite true, although there will be some who would have others as top player..

If only his second name rhymed with ‘busiest’ – granted, that would be tricky – then nobody could sue because not a single professional footballer operating in a senior league on the planet can match what this man has done this season in terms of hours on the pitch.

McGregor, for Celtic and Scotland, has already played 50 games this season and shows no sign of slowing down. Not that he has much choice.

There could be another 20 games for him before the summer break and while his stamina is to be admired, it’s his consistent outstanding performances which sets him apart from everyone else at his club and, indeed, his counterparts in the Scottish Premiership.

The 25-year-old plays well all the time, which is handy as he plays all the time. It is difficult to remember him having an average game this season and he’s rightly pleased with how things have gone.

McGregor said: “The run of 50 game has been good, it’s been a great season. When you come up with those numbers then it backs up how good it has been. I feel strong and I want to just keep playing.

“I did get sent a tweet the other night saying that I’ve played more games than anyone else in football this season – I think it’s six more games than any other player in world football.

That was good to see. It does show that I’m on the right path and playing well.

“I think I’ve played most 90 minutes as well. It’s just as well I fell alright! I do want to keep going, keep pushing on, and doing it for Celtic.

“This is my best season ever, I would think. When you look at those 50 games, I feel as if I’ve done well over the piece, that I’ve contributed to the team and everything has gone well.

“Modern football is so intense that everyone comes out the team and some point. I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens to me at some time. I’m playing well, I feel good, and if these things keep happening then I’ll hopefully keep playing.

I talk to the manager all the time. I have been fine. I’m sure if he saw I was a bit tired then he’ll pull me in. But I feel good, he thinks I am doing well so I think it’s just a case of keeping going.”

McGregor is never ill and rarely injured. Brendan Rodgers has a list of players who never gives him a moment’s bother.

As a young player, McGregor got into a bit of trouble away from the pitch but we all grow up and now he’s the consummate pro – which he needs to be given his schedule.

McGregor admitted: “Do I just sleep? Pretty much! I do try and rest as much as possible.

“I’ll go for a coffee in the afternoon and then I’m back in the house at four, get my dinner in me and then watch the telly for the rest of the day.

“It is pretty repetitive, but it has to be done. Having rest is really important, especially when you’re playing two or three games a week. My job is to be a football player and to be ready for every game. I feel that responsibility when I’m away from the training ground. I do everything I can to be ready for the games.

“Rest is hugely important. A lot of people will say ‘ach, they are finished by half one every day’ but a lot of it is the mental preparation for the games, looking after your body, eating the right things.

We are not actually at the training ground so a long time but it’s the dedication when you are away; making sure you aren’t doing the stuff you shouldn’t be.

“I scroll through Netflix from four to nine, just trying to find something I haven’t watched.

“The mental side is part of it. I prepare for every game and for most of them we need to win and win it in the right way. I think when you get yourself into a right place, you get into a routine and, as I said, it can be repetitive but it’s got to be done. It’s what you need to do.”

McGregor has been at Celtic since he was eight. The Glaswegian, he’s an Easterhouse lad, is loved by the supporters and their affection has helped Celtic’s marathon man to keep going. And Going.

He said: “There are times when I’ve felt a bit leggy going into games and then within ten minutes I feel brand new again.

"Everyone will feel fatigued but when the crowd is chanting your name all the time, you do get another almost surge of energy because you know the fans have your back.

“All of that marries in together. When you wake up in the morning you look forward to coming into work.”

McGregor will play his 51st game against St Johnstonetomorrow as he aims to help the club to create more history by winning the Scottish Cup for three seasons in a row.

Not even Jock Stein’s side did that.

“We’ve got to be perfect to get through and I think that’s keeping us focused

In cup games you’ve got to turn up with the right attitude and produce when it counts. I think we’ve been good at that over the last few years.”

Just a bit.

And if you were wondering who is on 44 games this season it’s Roberto Alvarado of Mexico’s CD Cruz Azul and Dutch winger Quincy Promes of Sevilla.

The shirkers.

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Once upon a time i had him down as nothing more than a squad player. :84: :52:

7. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

9/10 of his performances just now are MOTM level performances, he has been key in us finding our form. Would be interested to see his running and passing stats so far this season, must be mental numbers.

He is Broonys replacement and think he’d be an excellent captain as well.

8. joemc

Absolutely priceless to us and along with teirney, forrest n christie are the players our club need to always push the boat out to keep and not take advantage of loyalty in any way , they are the building blocks to the next gen of players , the mikey Johnston's, Henderson's, I've been backing cal and forrest from day 1 here at times against the tide ,but a mixture of time and the right coach /manager is definitely needed to bring out the best in these guys and its always better try to see through the obvious gaining experience point and poor form .
    These players have always had quality written all over them , forrest pace and finishing along with his humble character , wee cal his vision, being able to take a ball on the half turn and drive forward with relentless pace , with the coolness off a freezer in front of goal , teirney the heart of a lion , power , pace and the ability to tackle clean and aggressively, while being able to go from defence to attack in a heartbeat , These guys are 24 kt .

Rydo1888*, Lilac Wine and johnboy19 like this.
  9. Cringer67

I think most of us did. A vital cog in our machine now.
    Can see serious bids for him in the summer.

10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

What a bhoy. If my Mrs wouldn’t boot me oot id have Callum McGregor wallpaper in every room in the hoose.

11. jimbobers Gold Member Gold Member

Lol !!

12. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Over the King of Kings?!?!?!

Heathen!!:thumbsdow

Doogs. and Lilac Wine like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Keano88

If his name was Callum McGregorio we’d be rejecting £50m bids at this point :giggle2:

Only 25 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up a one club man :shamrock:

bagforlife likes this.
  15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Prof he was a 20 minute player I called him first 20 minutes you always seen him the early goals and play stats proved it. Then he had a run where I think he was trying to hard it wasn’t coming off then Armstrong done his injury in December 2017 and he hasn’t looked back. This season he has taken his game to another level. I genuinely think we have 3 guys who would gladly spend the rest of their careers here in Forrest, tierney and calmac- my only worry is when Brendan goes back to England he will come back for Tierney and McGregor imo and it might be too good money for the club to turn down!

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Surpised this hasn't been bumped but it's just another phenomenal performance from him..

Honestly he's absolutely unreal and his range if passing and movement is different class..

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    He's got some engine, couple that with great ability and attitude and you have one helluva player ! :brendy:

18. 67goodyear Gold Member Gold Member

Great player, covers more ground than a fat bird rolling down a hil.

19. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

He’s simply irreplaceable. So key to the way we play.

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don’t want to exaggerate or that but think he might honestly be the best player in history.