1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Brilliant! Some of his play is Messi esque at times.....

Crilly likes this.
  2. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Tommy25 likes this.
  3. celtic warrior

This man loves a goal against the huns, I know lots will probably disagree but I compare him to Lambert, in a sense that he's a guy who has the technical ability that is very unassuming and is not the conventional "Scottish" style.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has compared utility man Callum McGregor to German World Cup winner Philipp Lahm.

PA The 24-year-old netted his side’s second in their 4-0 victory over rivals Rangers in the Scottish Cup semi-final at the weekend, which took his tally to ten goals for the season.

McGregor started the match on the left of the attacking midfield three. He’s also impressed while playing at centre-midfield, either attacking or sitting, and at left-back this season.

His manager was effusive in his praise and went as far as to compare him to the Bayern Munich legend. Rodgers said: “We were talking the other day and you talk about Philipp Lahm, who was obviously a great player for Bayern Munich, who could play in full-back positions, could play in midfield. “Callum is that version for me. Wherever he plays he is minimum seven out of 10 and he has this incredible ability to understand the game.

“Our fourth goal at the weekend, the penalty, comes from him having the ability tactically to press the game at the right moment. “When he sees the poor pass by their midfield player, he nicks it and we are away on the counter attack and his pass leads to the penalty. “He is a player of real intelligence, he knows the whole pitch and that is always the mark of the really gifted players.”

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Pocket dynamo finds plenty of space all the time on the park ..picking passes and a goal threat..unsung hero of this strong squad

Tommy25 likes this.
  6. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
  7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Nobody ever gives this guy the credit he deserves. Pundits often ignore him despite him being consistent whether playing deep or attacking. He should have been playing for Scotland far before he was given the chance, a crime that he only has 3 caps.

Tommy25 and Lilac Wine like this.
  8. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Wonder why they didn’t ask griff to take part

AwesomeCaz, Markybhoy and kinglenny like this.
  9. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Its not uncommon when u think back to the lions and caps ..sfa hunnerry prod country

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Considering 2 of his 3 caps are from Big Eck, I'm not sure that is the reason or would at least hope not (mainly as I have a protestant father). With the Lions it sounds more plausible as it was more a sign of the times and at the time you had McColl, Brown and Prentice in charge.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

eltic manager Brendan Rodgers has applauded the contribution of Callum McGregor this season and likened the versatile Scotland internationalist to the late Tommy Burns.

McGregor is the only Scottish player to net in all five tournaments that Celtic have competed in but his overall displays have suggested that he has matured into a player who has earned the trust of Rodgers for the big occasion.

McGregor netted the second goal against Rangers at Hampden last weekend as Celtic eased their way towards the William Hill Scottish Cup final and Rodgers offered a glowing tribute in support of the 24-year-old.

“He’s Tommy’s type – of that mould,” enthused the Celtic manager. “He had a close association when Tommy was here and alive.

“Yeah, he’s a player who can have real longevity here. If you know football, you know he’s a top player.

“He can dictate a game, he has courage to play and he plays with a technical simplicity.

“You see players who need 55 touches, but his game is simple.

“Like I say his view of the whole pitch is what stands out. That’s when you know you have a very good player because he senses what is going on in the game.”

Celtic captain Scott Brown and, to a lesser extent, James Forrest, have been mentioned this season as contenders for Player of the Year but Rodgers believes that the unassuming McGregor has done enough to force himself into that company.

“He goes under the radar. He doesn’t have an agent linking him with every Tom, * and Harry.

“He’s just the young guy who has worked his way through the levels of the academy and every manager and coach after a game picks him out. They say they didn’t realise McGregor was such a good player.

“He should be up there for player of the year.

“I have huge trust in him.

“He can play in a variety of positions and has this inbuilt ability and brain for football.

“He can play left back to the letter, or I play him as an attacking midfielder. The other week he played on the right side coming in as the fourth man, he can play on the other side. He can play as a number 10.

“He’s an absolutely brilliant young player and he’s only going to get better.

“His ability to play simple football is amazing – there’s not many like him.

“The picture he sees of the game is clear. He’s such a fantastic talent and a joy to work with. He never misses training and plays with a smile. He took a wee while to settle when I came in here because of the demands I put on him in as that type of player – one that shows authority.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Before next Sunday's game they should ask all supporters who don't rate McGregor to step forward.

Their heads should then be shaved, followed by being marched down the Celtic Way to shouts of "shame!" by everyone else. Lawwell will be in the background ringing a towncryers bell.

Tommy25 and AwesomeCaz like this.
  14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    On top of shaving their heads they should be made to wear a hummel top.

Tommy25 and Seán Mac D like this.
  15. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Obviously Rodgers deserves great praise for improving both the tactics and confidence of CalMac, but today we should remember it was Lennon who first championed his talent and sent him away on a good loan where he thrived, scored a shitload and first realised he could be a player.

Utterly delighted a homegrown player has become such a key member of the team, not just the squad. I really hope Him, Tierney and Forrest can be one club men.

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lennon never gave him a chance and when asked about his form at Notts County said something like if he keeps it up he’ll get us a good fee.

The one who should be getting credit is Ronny. Flung Callum in to the big European games as soon as he came back.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Ronny does deserve some credit but tbf he didn't have much choice, our squad and especially midfield was poorer back then. Was a teenage McGregor getting ahead of Brown, Ledley, Ki, Wanyama or even Mulgrew who was Lenny's blindspot in centre mid?

I know Lennon definitely rated him, he worked with the youths and promoting Forrest and McGregor to the seniors was his first move as gaffer. Don't recall that comment but maybe it was tongue in cheek as Lennon likes to be a cheeky bassa!
    If he didn't rate him we would've just sold instead of loaning in the 1st place. That loan was the making of him.

18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don’t know why you’re going out your way to try make excuses for Ronny giving him a chance and put the praise on Lennon :giggle1:

If Lennon rated him he’d have played him instead of shoehorning people like Mulgrew in CM and Matthews at RM.

Tommy25 and Crilly like this.
  19. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Lennon, who saw McGregor first hand as youths manager, deserves credit for him eventually becoming a key first team player? Also McGregor was what, 17/18 at the time we're talking about, very few teens make the grade at Celtic so you're being harsh criticising Lennon for not putting him in. There was no chance he was getting ahead of Commons as attacking mid and in the centre there were at least 6 players ahead of him.

Lennon obviously felt Callum wasn't ready, and he was right, so he sent him on a relatively pressure-free loan, allowing him to score shitloads, gain match experience and confidence which turned out to be a masterstroke.

I'm sorry if I'd rather give Lennon credit for something, than Ronny who was almost completely a disaster as manager. Given that today we have to beat Lennon to win the league, I thought it was apt to mention he deserves credit for not only starting our 10IAR run but also giving chances to some youths who are now key players.

20. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    He has been anonymous so far today .

Morcombe likes this.