1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I've not really spoken to anyone that doesn't rate him. Only seems to be people on forums that I see that don't think he's up to it.

Deco67 likes this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye? Always used to hear all sorts of folk complaining about him at Parkhead and in the pubs after. Only recently people have started to come around.

3. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

It's a weird one. Every one of my mates or people I know that goes to the games seem to rate him highly.

The general perception on forums etc. is that he's talented but doesn't do enough in games. It's interesting to see how people view the game differently.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He's undoubtedly improved as the season has went on. His vision is excellent but previously he lacked the composure or technique to make the passes he seen, which has vastly improved. At the start of the season he was an empty jersey when the going got tough and went missing in large parts of games, but that is a lot less evident now. The one thing that frustrates me with him these days is his tendency to not fully commit to tackles. If he wants to play (especially in the middle of the park) then that needs to change.

5. Damnati

He's unfashionable. Very neat and tidy but there is rarely anything eye catching, goal at the weekend aside. He's good at everything but not the best at anything and that just means that he flies under the radar at times so he is often under-appreciated.

I hope he's here for a long time. Great squad player and seems to know what the club is all about.

Sno'sLeftFoot likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I used to shout get that wee fat * off infront of my uncle..

Embarrassing behaviour :fear:

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'd say more folk still have the opinion he isn't good enough, even now.

You can guarantee his entire time at Celtic will be a rollercoaster of he's great then he's *.

As boring as it is, there is 100% a wee bit of the whole he's a young Scottish boy therefore will never really got the praise he deserves. He has the technique and composure of a centre mid from the continent, no reason why he should be critiqued any differently.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

I personally couldn't care less where he comes from in terms of critique, but I'm always that bit more prouder to see a young fella doing well who has come through the youth ranks rather than a bought-in continental guy.

Wee McGregor is a 50/50 player for me. Either incredibly instrumental, or incredibly timid.

9. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I've loved his play ever since his move from wide to central. Great footballing mind and keeps possession while thinking directly and positively. Could still improve again with age as well.

packybhoy likes this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm usually of the same opinion but I think the young and Scottish argument applies in this case, he's not a normal Scottish footballer, certainly a fairly unusual central midfielder in Scotland, his style is one you usually see on the continent.

Because it's not the normal combative style of a young Scottish guy coming through it's subverting peoples expectations of what they expect a typical young Scottish midfielder of being. We got a young Spanish boy in and he came in and had the same performances as McGregor? That's the type you'd expect.

It's about the style, people expecting blood and thunder and what they're getting is a bit of guile. Rodgers made the comparison with Joe Allen and I can see where he's coming from with that, he's a guy that's not really rated on these shores but is a very good footballer, just not guts and glory.

Deco67 and packybhoy like this.
  11. BruceLeeBhoy

He is a good player that much is obvious consistency is his issue. He is a great utility player too and has played in around 5-6 positions for us in his time here.

he's played right wing, left wing, left back,holding midfeild advanced midfeilder and maybe even up top for part of a game.

He has great close control, has pace, can pass it and can score goals

12. BruceLeeBhoy

If he rattled in a few tackles we would love him

13. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Am not a massive fan of Callum but if you gave me a list of players who could be "squad players" next season it was between him, Bitton and Henderson to stay i would take callum 100% other 2 offer nothing for me

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He'll assist Griff on Sat, passing straight through the Hun defence..

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Very different players, but he reminds me a bit of Mulgrew in that he's good in a number of positions but not really great in any. As such, I think he is an important squad player and we should definitely keep him.

It's an odd one though: Mulgrew had all the attributes to be a fabulous footballer except pace. I can't actually figure out what's holding CM back. Maybe BR already has and is working on it and a few years from now we'll all be fapping ourselves silly about how awesome he is.

Don't know why, I'll definitely (deservedly) get pelters for saying this because I know it flies in the face of everything we know about his game and his strengths and weaknesses, but I have a weird feeling he could do well in a Paul Lambert type role. Can't back that up with any kind of reasoned argument, it even sounds daft to me.

Liam Scales and Deco67 like this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That last bit is an excellent way to sum him up for me mate..

Which is why he can be frustrating when he's the latter..

17. Hi all

I have written a detailed analysis of Callum McGregor on the Celtic By Numbers site. I cannot post the link or I will be accused of spamming. Please Google Celtic By Numbers and read the top article!

A lot of good press for Callum McGregor following his semi final goal and performance. But here is a (still young) player who has been asked to be adaptable all through his career, and has found a way to carve a role for himself. Rodgers is now playing him centrally and although not quite good enough to displace Brown or Armstrong full time, the evidence is he is not learning resistant and will continue to develop.

Interested in what you all think and reading the posts in this thread there are certainly plenty of diverse opinions om him.

HH

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Nobody thought Paul Lambert would be a Paul Lambert at Motherwell mate :50:

Random Review likes this.
  19. shaunm

I think we should play him in every game until end of season,see if he can step up from squad player to starting 11,like Armstrong has done.Bhoy has quality and always has a goal in him.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Playing well.