1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Was talking more about the real competition stage draw.

To be fair, I think getting AEK Athens as Greek champions is probably the toughest qualifier team we’ve had since the champions route started.

2. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    As disappointing it is to lose tonight I’m proud of the bhoys, we had Valencia on the ropes. If Burke had a better touch, went more direct to goal with another opportunity, if Hayes had of struck the ball across goal as opposed to slicing it into side netting, if the ball had of been at the feet of anyone bar Ajer, if the same had of just glanced a header in the second half as opposed to powering it over.

Damage was already done last Thursday and only reason they won tonight was they had man advantage. Brendan can be rightly proud of what he got out of the bhoys tonight.

Rydo1888* and seamus1967 like this.
  3. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I know you were. * draws are never going away mate as a 4rth/ even 3rd pot side!! Leicester's draw a few years ago is one in a million and it was a fluke really as i think they were handed Pot 1 as champs down there and no consideration given to * all of a Euro record. I believe that's changed now as part of UEFA tightening the screws and pushing the big clubs agenda.

Also, we'll agree to disagree about the Greeks. For me, an extremely weak side and we could have got worse. Tie should have been killed in the first half at CP

seamus1967 likes this.
  4. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Give props to him for changing it up with his formation and trying something new and all we asked for was a respectable performance/ score line and we got it. Agree with other posters that the game was done before a ball was kicked in Valencia, the only time I can remember us winning by 3 or more in Europe away from home would be against a managerless Anderlecht side- to do it against a team sitting in the top 10 in Spain with an experienced manager is impossible, I guess we can still hope they fielded an illegible player :giggle1:

seamus1967 likes this.
  5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You Are so consistent

6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    It’s never gonna be easy in the CL group stages, but you can definitely get luckier than what we have in the last few years. If we beat AEK we could’ve went into a group with Bayern, Benfica and Ajax. That’s would be a decent CL group draw for me.

Lennon’s team got a decent bit of luck with CL draws, although we arsed it up second time round.

We were much better than AEK and should’ve buried it, but they are a side with much bigger pedigree than what we are used to playing at that stage. Likes of Qarabag, Malmo, Maribor, Karagandy, Astana, Rosenborg are weaker than AEK for me. And they were the only non-seeded team in that 3rd qualifying round draw that was able to make it past the playoff and get into the CL. Still should’ve done them though, no denying.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We didn’t need to score 3 in 90 mins.

There’s something far wrong if you couldn’t see we were capable of scoring in that first half, then the tie was wide open.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We played well, we move on. Tie was lost with a hugely disappointing night at Celtic Park.

9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I actually don't think he changed much, we just improved on our basics, still not seeing the use of Burke up front which he's persisting with.

Still same sloppy goals were losing though.

I think he needs to change it up a bit too for the coming games.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Burke causes absolutely panic up front , he just needs to find some composure in that position as he always has more time than he thinks.

The IRA likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Understand both of those points but you're glossing over the fact we gave ourselves a chance in Valencia with the way we started. You are dismissing it because we got beat when in reality had we scored when we were the better side the tie would have been blown wide open.

12. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    As has been said for a while, a quality CB would make all the difference and would have made all the difference against these teams. Along with Toljan in all the previous games.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'm not dismissing the fact we played well and it's all ifs and buts now, but it was also clear Valencia allowed us to play having that cushion. I liken it to when we played Anderlecht at home with progression was pretty much assured after the game in Belgium. The flatness a lot if us felt going into the tie was accurate. There is always hope and that could have became belief but the harsh sending off buried the tie.

The players and BR didn't believe it was dead and I'm proud of their performance.

We take the positives from it and move on and hopefully BR can see he's building something that can work in Europe and if he was in any doubt about staying, last night helps cement his future.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Disagree completely, Valencia didn’t ‘let’ us do anything. We outplayed them.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

With 2-0 first leg lead they didn't have to take the game to us at all. We had virtually no chance after the first leg, there's no point denying that.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You can continue saying it over and over but prior to the sending off I believed we had a genuine chance and so did the several folk I was watching it with.

What am I denying? If we scored when we should have the game opens up completely.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

OK mate :50:

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You have to judge these ties over both legs. How each team approached the 2nd leg is always going to be influenced by the result of the first.

They’re through, we’re out. Deservedly so. Overall the 180 minutes I don’t think we performed well at all.

19. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

He definitely has it in him to turn it around in Europe, next season will be big for him!

Home form has been particularly disappointing, far too many teams getting free rides at Parkhead!

20. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    sorry but don’t agree with that at all, his first touch is pretty poor and he doesn’t make good runs as a centre forward, yes he can run in behind sometimes but he doesn’t have a good touch or hold the ball up for his teammates. Even when his pace got in behind and he asked questions of their defence, Diakhaby is also rapid and he wasn’t a threat.