1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers encouraged by Celtic's defensive dexterity

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Shaun, Jul 10, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers encouraged by Celtic's defensive dexterity in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Shaun

[​IMG]

Brilliant read, Rodgers is just a Ghod among mortals :52:

Via: http://www.celticfc.net/

BRENDAN Rodgers says Celtic will travel to Gibraltar tomorrow (Sunday) ahead of their first competitive contest of the campaign as a stronger collective after completing their pre-season trip to Slovenia.
    The Hoops rounded off their 13-day stay in Central Europe tonight with a goal-less draw against NK Maribor, meaning they finished the four-game tour unbeaten.

Again, the manager felt his side showed positive signs in the stalemate with Maribor, particularly in the defensive department, giving him further encouragement for Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League second qualifying round tie with Lincoln Red Imps.
    Speaking exclusively to Celtic TV on the Maribor performance, he said: “Because these teams are unknown, then people take it for granted that you can turn up and win these types of games, whether it’s a competition or pre-season.

“They have qualified for the Champions League recently and ran Chelsea very close here. They are a good side and when they play at their own ground, they are very hard to beat. I thought our players were excellent.
    “In terms of what I saw over the four games, we have only conceded one goal from open play over games, so our defensive organisation and our pressing has become very good.

“Our solidity and mentality has been excellent and that is something which is very important when you are trying to form a collective unity.
    “We will get better offensively as time goes on and we work together but that collective idea to defend together and press together has been very pleasing and tonight was another good example of that.

“The four games have proved very beneficial for us and our opponents have got better as we have stepped up. It was another really good test for us tonight. Maribor, for five of the last six years have been Slovenian champions so it was really good exercise for us and the players coped and adapted really well in what were very hot conditions and the preparations for the game on Tuesday was perfect.

“It’s been an excellent tour for us,” continued the Hoops boss. “It’s only been 20 days since we have been together. I felt we left Lennoxtown, having worked well, and at the end of this 20-day period, we travel to our first European qualification game as a team.

“I have been overly pleased by the attitude of the players. There is still a long way to go before we are perfect but in terms of the attitude and what the players are trying to take no board, I have been delighted.
    “It will be a tough game in Gibraltar but we are ready as we can be. We have piled as much work as we can into the last 20 days out here both on and off the pitch and we are ready as we can be for it.”

:shamrock:

2. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    good interview hope to see same results on pitch

3. terrasidius Sonic Attack Orchestrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Lambo, Larsson, Sutton, Nakamura, Rogic, Virgil, Dembele, Turnbull, Jota & Kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG, Grace, Celtic Symphony, Orchestrated Sonic Attack
  4. blizzard bhoy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Merry Ploughboy
    Sounds like Brendan is looking forward to the game with Lincoln Red Imps highlighting the strong collective mentality the squad are working on.

:50:

5. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Good read

6. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    The man will be great for us he just needs time to get to grips with just exactly what he has and who he needs to bring in.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye but remember Brendan we still need a centre half.

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Said this in another thread last night, he is building from the back.

Making us hard to beat is the most important thing right now, we just can't be as gung ho in the qualifiers this season.

Sort out the defence and the rest will fall into place.

9. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he will develop a strong core around the the defence, midfield central 2 and striker and the he will fill in the rest with alternating talent, I think he might hang his hat on Dembele as his main striker with Griffiths playing in and around him coming of the right, personally I would like us to go back to 4/4/2.

10. joemc

look at the posts on the original point ,not many ,why ,because its about defending and most celtic fans only want to hear about goals and attacking ,if you look at our recent successes in cl we were built on defending well ,and we need to come to terms with that ,you dont go gung ho anymore ,and hopefully brendan rogers will sort out a good tight system that can counter attack in cl .

11. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Welcome back, where you been?:50:

12. joemc

i spent time getting plastic surgery on my * extention .:icon_mrgreen:

13. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

From tiny acorns,,,,,,,,,,,,,:icon_mrgreen:

14. Shaun

Tiny acorns you say? How about from here...my 5 year and 7 old Daughters watch it...

[​IMG]

I really hate that cartoon. Any other parents watching this all day?
    There should be a 'Dad line' where grown men with young Daughters can call and cry a little. Glitter, hairbands, everything is pink and my house smells like I lost at Jumanji :87: it can change a man
    [​IMG]

...only joking, wouldn't have it any other way
    Honest :54:

15. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can't find his quote but he did state he was building from the front. Something along the lines he wants quality up top first then the rest behind falls in to place.

16. Barque

we have defensive dexterity no doubt about it

but attacking prowess is more imortant

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It's really not.

we scored a lot of goals in the qualifiers and the EL group stage last season and it got us nowhere.

You must have a solid base.

18. doctor venglos

We will never have a solid base with Ambrose anywhere in the back line.
    He should not be playing tonight either.I would play Ajer before him, experience or no experience, because the only experience Ambrose has got is * ups.

19. adamcfc

Okay Brendan, thanks.

20. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Defensive dexterity goes oot the window when ambrose takes to the field. All bets are off!