1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. shieldsybhoy

Haha, I'm not biting.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  2. shieldsybhoy

Correct but that doesn't necessarily mean he's of a high caliber just because he's won a trophy? Mark Warburton has won the Scottish Championship - doesn't mean he's 'better' than Rodgers was before he joined Celtic.

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Can I ask where did I say we can’t trust him?

I can give you one reason for concern and that’s his tactics for us at the back, his eye for a defender not just at Celtic but past clubs.

Another reason for concern if the fact he is not looking to replace players like Lustig and Gordon.

Ps.O’Neil had stronger competition in the league, done more in Europe and worked wonders with Teams before he came.

Rodgers took Liverpool to second in the league, a fantastic achievement and done well at Swansea also. But he has done * all in Europe with Liverpool or Celtic and has not had any competition domestically.

This season will be a test. If we end up with another manager of MON ilk and he takes us to a European final and done what he did then yes * please.

PPS MON won something with a small club down south Rodgers has won a play off final.

4. bhoy81

But O’Neil won a trophie and was up and coming down south and he came to Celtic.

The bread man had a massive budget-within that league can't really compare the two can you.

5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    No it doesn't. However the fact MON won the league cup with Leicester and took Leicester City into Europe means he CV wasn't ' vastly inferior' to Brendans when he took over at Celtic which you incorrectly said it was.

6. shieldsybhoy

Possibly not you, but people are genuinely calling for his head/heavily criticizing him. After what he's done I genuinely don't question anything he does. Who are we to? He clearly knows far, far more than we do.

Agreed, but maybe he doesn't have a choice in that matter? The fact that players of a lesser quality aren't being replaced is perhaps more down to the board not providing the funds. If Rodgers had his way he would have had McGinn (and Mckenna) in the team by now, and who knows who else he's tried for behind closed doors? And Boyata would have played against AEK - he's had his hands tied behind his back at points so far this season, one way or another.

When MON took us to the UEFA Cup final - yes, an unbelievable achievement, but the football landscape was totally different back then. The teams getting to the UEFA Cup final back then were a level below what they are now. The last 4 winners of the Europa League are Atletico, Man Utd, Sevilla & Chelsea. Back in our day teams like Deportivo Alaves, Middlesborough, Fulham and even Rangers were getting to finals.

A big English team hired Rodgers when they weren't willing to do so with MON. I'm not being disparaging when I say this but when we took MON on, he was possibly the equivalent stature to what Sean Dyche is now at Burnley. Doing very well in the Prem and taking his team into Europe with a provincial side. Would a Liverpool/Arsenal type team take a punt on Dyche? Personally I think they should but they probably wouldn't.

7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop

So basically we aren't talking bout cv's just that Brendan managed Liverpool.

Gabriel, Gyp Rosetti and bhoy81 like this.
  8. bhoy81

The team that beat us went on to win the champions league......

And not asking for his head but the fact is the stick he is getting is justified.

Liverpool where not challenging when Rodgers took over far from it. And if I’m the same position again teams would have taken O’Neil but his wife was ill and he stated he did not want to take a job.

Also forgot to say when we played in the groups of the champions league we beat teams like Juves ect and didn’t we put Barca out of the UEFA cup playing Marshall in goals as well? They had big teams in it back then as well.

I would never see MOM losing to pub team like the imps.

In Europe Rodgers has done nothing apart from ship goals and losses.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    This season I also feel as if we have become soft, I dont see a competative nature or drive in this group of players similar to that the likes of Sutton, Lennon, Larsson had.

I want to see more aggression from the team and a more competative nature as a whole. Similar to that the likes of Lennon, WGS and MON teams had. To create a culture that the players know that conceding easy goals isnt acceptable and where they may lose their place in the team as a result, and similarly at the other end of the pitch if the team isnt scoring.

Xatraps and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. shieldsybhoy

Essentially, yes. Which is a massive thing for any manager to have on their CV, never mind have one of their best league finishes in decades.

I can criticize the team, yes, but we all know that Rodgers would rather not be playing Jack Hendry at the back - he didn't sign him in January to be thrown into CL qualifiers 6 months later. For one, he would have hoped Boyata played and we would have signed another player or two. Fingers are being well and truly pointed at the board for this from me.

As I said, the footballing landscape in Europe is much different now - the gap is much bigger than it was back then. We are spending less money (think of the money MON spent, and yes Rodgers has bought Edouard for 9m, but we've missed out on signings we should have made that wouldn't have cost us that much money - McGinn etc.) and the big European teams are spending much, much more. Are you saying MON and his team would be beating that PSG team last year? No chance.

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Maybe get Moyes in next then he managed Utd.

12. JC88

Liverpool were on the brink of cementing themselves as a mid table club, before Brendan Rodgers arrived and rejuvenated them.

Klopp is reaping the rewards from what Rodgers started. The references part of his CV will be gleaming.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. shieldsybhoy

Forgot that he had one of Utd's best seasons in decades when he was there, didn't he?

14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Naw but nor did he have a vastly superior cv to MON to get the job in the first place. A cv isn't just about putting ' look I nearly did well one year at something' on it. Get Dalglish in then he won the league with Blackburn or Howard Wilkinson.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  15. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Leeds chased MON for years before he came to us and while he was with us, and he knocked them back and at the time they were one of the top teams in England, nonsense to suggest a big English team wouldn't have given him a job.

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  16. shieldsybhoy

Not really a traditional top 4 side though are they?

Fact of the matter is, pre Celtic, Rodgers was the higher profile manager.

17. shieldsybhoy

Again there's context and you're completely misquoting me. Murty nearly came 2nd in the SPL last year - going by what I'm saying according to you, he is a good manager. Of course I'm not saying that, you are just skewing what I am saying to fit your side of the argument.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Naw I'm still disputing your assertion that Brendan had a' vastly superior CV 'to MONs when they took over at Celtic purely because he managed Liverpool as it plainly isn't true.

19. bhoy81

First off Rodgers wanted Hendry prised him and at 23 he should be ready but clearly Hendry is not good enough and shouldn’t have been signed.

Rodgers even came out and said the board got all the players he wanted in the January window. So Rodgers can be judged on that he got it wrong.

Eddy cost us 7 million we had an agreement to sign him regarding the loan agreement at the end of the loan not the reported 9 million.

Yes O’Neil spend money he got quality and we had a much tougher league as well.

Teams back then could still massively outspend us as well.

When did I say MON team would beat PSG? I can tell you for sure we wouldn’t have lost by the amount we did not would we have such an appalling home record that we had with him and other untill Rodgers.

Rodgers has been found wanting in Europe that’s just a fact. Just caused he managed Liverpool and took them to second does not make him a superstar.

He done well like I said but apart from getting Liverpool second he really never done much before that, again Liverpool where not even a top 4 side either.

Also on his CV shows he has been rotten in Europe with any team he has been at.

This season will be a massive test with a stronger Zombie side that has the feel good factor again. They are nowhere near as strong as a Hun side in the MON days though.

20. bhoy81

Liverpool where not a top four side when Rodgers took over though.