1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t think that’s a coincedence, our most creative players and goalscorers have been injured for long parts of the season. When teams have sat back we’ve struggled, the better teams tend to open up a bit more, which we can ruthlessly exploit.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think we’d have accepted it at the start of the season if we were told for probably the majority of the league campaign we’d be without Griffiths, Dembele, Armstrong, Paddy and big Tam Rogic

It needs to improve next season but if you think of the players that’s been out over the season as a whole, it’s remarkable what Rodgers has achieved domestically this season.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    True but I reckon if the same injury problems happened last year, Brendan would've found a way to get past that....a regular winning formula for the home game's particularly..

We just haven't seen that tempo, creativity from elsewhere in the squad. It's why we definitely need reinforcements throughout the whole squad this summer. Another 10. Another winger/forward. An attacking right back in the mould of KT but obviously we'll struggle for like for like quality..

We were talking about Ronny in the other thread. 1 of his best game's was at the end with Christie as a false 9. Away at Hearts last year we played Paddy off Sinclair and hammered them..

I do think we could've found other solutions when our strikers were out or Rogic/Paddy. There didn't seem to be a lot of game interchange like last year for example. Almost like a case of well we're left with this so let's see how it pans out..

LloydsGamble likes this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don’t think it was anywhere near the same scale, I know what you’re getting at but with a thoroughly uncreative squad available to him most of the season, he seems to have made it work, even if it’s not to as high a standard as we’d like it to be.

This year McGregor, Broony and Forrest have majorly stepped up to the plate, they don’t have the same sort of genius as those who have been out injured (well McGregor has his moments), I think it’s resulted in some quite predictable play. It’s been frustrating but I imagine BR knows this, massive transfer window coming up.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It's worked but we have stumbled to an extent, although in every big game we've completely made a mug of what I'm trying to say..

I agree, Forrest and McGregor have stepped up but without Rogic in the side at all, we look quite ordinary in our building up play..

He has to know it. He's a clever guy. He'll know a lot of fan's won't be happy with a lot of our domestic game's this year, and neither will he..

I'm expecting more creativity from central area's to come in. Another 10. Another box to box midfielder when Armstrong goes. Someone who can play central and on the wings. He's always had and liked those player's wherever he's been and had spoken about wanting them in numerous time's..

I honestly believe we'll be in for good investment in to the squad and will be much better next season. Ominous for everyone else..

7. Dáibhí

This next season will be an interesting one.

He's spanking the rest of Scottish football, but if we're honest he should be. We're streets ahead of the rest in Scotland when it comes to finances and resources. It shouldn't even really be competitive over a season.

What I'm interested in is Europe.

I don't expect him to win the Champions League, but I do expect us to not get * hammered regularly.

I know that the main thing is getting there to make the money, but what point is there in getting the money when we're regularly being turned over in embarrassing fashion? Just so we can continue lording it over the have-nots of Scottish football? * that, I want more.

Beating Rangers and Aberdeen to the title is great, but it's not a challenge.

I saw us play sides with more cash in the Champions League under Strachan and Lennon, and while we lost many of those games we weren't getting spanked by 5 or 7 goals as much. We looked somewhat competitive.

I know it's not the done thing to question King Brendan, but we need to ask if Champions League football is all about getting the big money so our shareholders are happy, or is it about trying to actually get somewhere, either in the Champions League itself or the Europa League?

I may be alone, but I'm wondering if he's one-dimensional tactically. He can't seem to do anything to change it up when we come up against better sides in Europe, and we've seen glimpses of the more tactically astute managers in the Scottish game managing to figure him out.

Both Lenny and especially Steve Clarke seem able to negate the difference in resources when we play them and grab results here and there, along with performances.

It's all well & good espousing an attacking mentality when it comes to football, but you have to be able to do more than that.

It's up to him to prove he can match up with the top coaches in Europe tactically, and hopefully we see him do that next season.

8. joemc

This is the problem we have ,we prove it most weeks in our league ,when teams have the balls to have a go we usually take 4 or 5 off them ,hearts and hibs are the exception this season.
    So when we do the same in europe against the money teams we also get found out ,we really need to build a counter attacking team for europe with really quick supporting midfielders ,reason behind that is the less attacking players we have pushed up high the less markers teams will put in position ,holding out for longer before conceeding puts pressure on the other team and the nerves kick in and mistakes are made ,we need to pick our moments and not be to open ,even in the spl we see teams counter us with 2 or 3 passes and the get a shot off .
    I think br will get the system right for europe eventualy .

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  9. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Yeah, the man has had us all deliberating about:
    Tactics,Player selection,Goalkeeping distribution,European disappointments,Transfer targets.....we all have our opinions and that's what TC is all about.
    As someone stated earlier, he is a clever man and will be aware of these points....time will tell.

However, at the end of the day,I'm delighted with what he has achieved and will go along to the game today to give thanks and praise........Thanks Brendan, keep breaking records......Hail Hail
    :celt_2::champ:

10. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I think Europe took a lot out of us this season as we looked tired at times.

Squad maybe could have been used better with the likes of KT given a break now and again.

That's one thing on the plus side regarding Sevco in Europe....they'll have more games which will tell on them during the course of the season...if they don't get papped out first time of asking of course.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Are people really accusing Rodgers of being one dimensional?

The amount of times he’s made changes in games to get us a result shows that accusation up.

The IRA likes this.
  12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Last season he seemed to have a solution to every tactical advantage a team had. This season, he’s stuck to the same system quite a bit though.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Sometimes it’s been forced upon him due to injury though.

The IRA and Doogs. like this.
  14. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Aye, I’m not agreeing that’s the case. Just this season other factors have stopped us using our squad to our advantage, tactically.

15. TheHappyLoss

Think Europe dented the players confidence, as for the Huns don't think Europe will make any difference it'll only be two games (edit, just noticed you said that too)

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Definitely..

Doogs. likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Feels weird saying this on the verge of a double treble but he has a big summer ahead.

Some key players are due to leave and the squad already needs freshened regardless. Slightly concerned over how we are going to approach it. Need to lay down a marker.

18. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Hopefully gets the right players in for next season team is really stale at the moment and it’s time some players moved on

LloydsGamble and pop47 like this.
  19. Murph-E

Are you, aye? Interesting that. I remember under Deila you stating that you weren't so interested in the Champions League anymore, and would rather we focus our attention domestically. Said any results in Europe are a bonus.

Also suggested Mark McGhee as a "realistic" and genuine target when Deila left and we were about to get Rodgers in.

Away and *.

Senna s1979 likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Improvements needed next year..

In Europe and getting 'his' team up for the majority of our domestic game's..

Team is flat. Every side needs an injection of quality and freshness when that particular cycle starts fizzling out. We are on track for another treble and it's a fantastic achievement but we really haven't been good enough for far too many of our game's..

He's been out thought much more than you'd expect by decent Spl manager's this season. Got personnel wrong far too often. Pace of our game is generally slower week to week. Creativity is awfully stacked against a few player's to keep delivering in this side. Wide open at the back..

I'm looking forward to a semi rebuild this summer and a few going who want to go (can't be good for morale and team bonding). Then pushing on again next year..