1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Valhalla, Dec 19, 2016.

Discuss Blade Runner 2049 in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bumblebee

Of course, I don't think for a minute it makes a film more sophisticated or intellectually challenging, I think the issue with Blade Runner may be that it is specifically for the fans of the original and done in such a way that will see it gain a cult following over time. I'm convinced the studio were willing to take a hit on this for the time being to reap the benefits 20-30 years down the line, mind you the film isn't a bomb at all but anything that doesn't make 100-150 million in its opening week is seen as a box office bomb by studios these days.

You can't deny that Blade Runner the original and the new one does throw up some interesting questions about us in the real world and where we are going with A.I, quite like that Ex Machina.

Having thought about what you said abut it being a "bad movie", I think that is always going to boil down to did you enjoy the original? Did you like taking part in the speculating about Deckard and whether he is a replicant or not? Does A.I have a right to an existence the same as human beings? The new one soaks in the atmosphere and speculation that has built up over the last 35 years and I liked that, it felt like old school film making that has become virtually non existent in this day and age of 2 hour toy advertisements and movies that are solely structured to sell a sequel.

At the end of the day it is all subjective, your opinion is yours and it isn't wrong and it isn't right, there is bad movies that fill the theatres every couple of months and Blade Runner however little enjoyment you got from it isn't one of them.

2. Darnok

Well, no, the issue with Blade Runner is that it doesn't execute its premise very well. That is a much more likely scenario than the studio deliberately making a film that will only be appreciated in 30 years time.

Yes, interesting for the time. The new one really doesn't further any of the ideas presented in the original, and instead mostly rehashes them.

Yes, I liked the original, but not obsessively so. As for your last point, the film's overarching narrative was structured in such a way as to sell a sequel, quite blatantly so, in fact, which is one of the reasons it was such a turn off.

Ultimately, yes, my view is entirely subjective, but I never claimed any objectivity.

3. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I loved the setting and atmosphere. It was perfect, as was the soundtrack. I do agree it was a little long though and it took me a while to really get into it.

Ana De Armas is stunning.