1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cesar Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar.

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by HoopswithPride, Feb 25, 2017.

Discuss Billy McNeill - Rest In Peace Cesar. in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. leeso-ardoyne

It's the sign of the times. Seen all sorts of comments on the net with very bad news. Some saying very reliable sources etc.. *!

Good to see the members on here didn't continue with the rumours!

Best to know facts before carrying stories!!

Anyway, good to hear the big man's still with us!! Hail Hail!

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  2. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our father Billy McNeill. He passed away late last night (Monday, April 22) surrounded by his family and loved ones. He suffered from Dementia for a number of years and fought bravely to the end, showing the strength and fortitude he always has done throughout his life.

We would also like to note our love and appreciation to our mother, Liz, for the care, devotion and love she gave to our father throughout his illness. No one could have done any more.

Whilst this is a very sad time for all the family and we know our privacy will be respected, our father always made time for the supporters so please tell his stories, sing his songs and help us celebrate his life.

3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Hearing rumors he has passed on is this true can anyone confirm if so sad day thoughts go out to his family I know it's probably expected..... Doesn't make it any better... Guy is the definition of a legend

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

4. Aidan O’Shea

Inevitable and yet still absolutely gut-wrenching. One of those losses that will be felt by everyone in football, such was the regard he was held in. Always carried himself with great grace and was a brilliant player to boot.

RIP, Billy. Greatest captain ever.

Lilac Wine, Rydo1888* and bagforlife like this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
  7. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Billy McNeill was a true legend. A great player, a great captain, a great leader of men and just a great person.

My Dad passed away a couple of years ago and I asked him - of all the players you saw at Celtic Park who was your favourite. His answer was McNeill. When you consider the illustrious company he played in, that is quite a compliment.

My heart goes out to his family

8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    * Bless You RIP.

[​IMG]

Lilac Wine, Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  9. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Sad news, R.I.P Billy:shamrock:

Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  10. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC Chief Executive Peter Lawwell has paid tribute to Billy McNeill, describing Celtic’s legendary captain as a great man who epitomised everything that is good and positive about the club.

Peter Lawwell said: “We have lost a great Celtic man with the passing of Billy McNeill, and I would first of all like to pass on my condolences on behalf of the club to Billy’s wife, Liz, their children, Susan, Paula, Libby, Carol and Martyn, and their grandchildren at this very sad time. Their loss is a deep and profound one, and I know that everyone, regardless of their football allegiance, will be sending their thoughts and prayers to Billy’s family.

"I also want to send my condolences to his football brothers, in particular, the Lisbon Lions, with whom he shared so many extraordinary triumphs with Celtic, but also to all the countless friends he made in football, people such as Mike Jackson, with whom he formed a lifelong friendship after the two of them were team-mates here in the late 1950s and early ‘60s.

"Billy McNeill was our greatest ever captain and one of the finest players ever to wear the famous green and white Hoops. His record as a player is extraordinary. He made 790 competitive appearances for Celtic – more than any other player in our history – and during that time he won nine league titles, seven Scottish Cups, six League Cups and, of course, the European Cup triumph in 1967.

"That remains the greatest moment in our club’s long and illustrious history, and the image of Billy holding aloft the trophy in the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon is an iconic one which is now immortalised in the stunning statue at the front of The Celtic Way.

"He also managed the club in two separate periods, winning a total of four league titles, three Scottish Cups and the League Cup. Among his many successes from the dugout are memorable triumphs such as the 1979 title win, when 10 men won the league and, of course, the Centenary Double success in 1988.

"He also become our first ever club ambassador in 2009, and there was no more fitting candidate to take up such a role than the man whom fans always knew and loved as Cesar.

"Those of us who were lucky enough to see Billy play, particularly during that golden era under Jock Stein, appreciate we were truly privileged to have done so. There were so many gifted players at the club during that time, and their leader on the pitch and in the dressing-room was always Billy McNeill.

"It has also been one of the great privileges of my life that, over the years, I got to meet and know Billy, not just as a great Celt, but also as a great man and someone I was delighted to call a friend. His presence on a matchday here at Celtic Park, where he would cheer on the team, was always a great opportunity to meet up with him, and it was also an indication that he always was, before everything else, a Celtic supporter, faithful through and through.

"It is often said that you shouldn’t meet your heroes, but with Billy, as with all the Lisbon Lions, meeting them has always been a wonderful experience. They have remained humble men, regardless of their incredible achievements as Celtic players, embodying everything that is good and positive about Celtic Football Club.

"This is the saddest of days for the Celtic Family, and also for the wider football world. We mourn Billy McNeill’s passing and we send our thoughts and prayers to his family and friends, while we also give thanks for Billy’s life and the incredible joy he brought to so many people as a Celtic player, a Celtic manager and a great Celtic man.”

Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier, paying his own tribute to Billy McNeill, said: “This is an extremely sad day for everyone connected with Celtic Football Club, and our thoughts are with Billy’s wife, Liz, and their family at this time.

"Billy’s career, as a Celtic player and manager, was incredible, and his achievements will continue to be celebrated by supporters for generations to come.

"He and his team-mates, led by the legendary Jock Stein, made history and became football legends themselves, achieving extraordinary success both here in Scotland and on the European stage. They ensured that the name of Celtic will always be synonymous with an exciting brand of attacking, successful football.

"For those of us lucky to meet and get to know Billy over the years, having already known he was a great footballer, we realised that he was also a great man. His love for Celtic was evident, while his humility was always something to be admired.

"We all mourn his passing, we offer all our support to his family and we will be forever thankful for everything he did for our football club.”

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic just confirmed it.

littlekennie likes this.
  12. Paradise88

Rest is peace, great player, great manager, great man.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

A wonderful captain, servant to our club but more importantly man. Always dignified right til the end.

You will never be forgotten..

[​IMG]

14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    RIP billy HH

15. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    One of our greatest, peace be with you

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

16. Davbhoyinoz

R.I.P. Billy

Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  17. snails67 Gold Member Gold Member

RIP great man

Rydo1888* likes this.
  18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    R.I.P :shamrock:

Rydo1888* likes this.
  19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Absolutely heartbreaking news.

Rest in Peace Cesar.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  20. vortex666

Rip big man
    Im not old enough to have seen him play but he was manager in what was on off the best seasons ever the Centenery double winning thanks for the memories

Lilac Wine and Rydo1888* like this.