1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bigger sized clothes labelled a 'Fat Tax'

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Seán Mac D, May 22, 2018.

Discuss Bigger sized clothes labelled a 'Fat Tax' in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There are people who don’t.

* New Look or any of them big retailers they make enough profit without trying to rip people off because their size of clothing is a bit bigger.

Marie likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Guy goes in to a restaurant and orders a soup and side plate of chips.
    Costs him £4.60
    His mate follows him in, orders a steak dinner, late piece of chocolate cake and a pint to wash it down.
    Costs him £14.60

Second guy is outraged that his meal costs more than his mate, asks to complain to the manager "well I don't see why I should pay more, I ate food just the same as my friend did"
    "But sir, you are more food than him, it took us more time to make it and prepare that meal"
    "No no no, you are just punishing me because I like food and have a big belly to fill. That's a fat tax. Its not my fault my belly takes more to fill"

Sween likes this.
  3. Onefootwonder

New Look are in real financial trouble.

I'm a big guy and I have no issues with the theory. More materials used and more work to make the garment means more cost.

However, If they are selling 10,000 XL shirts and for every 3000 XS shirts the cost of materials and labour will be offset by volume made and sold.

It's always the small sizes that end up in the sales in January. If they have to sell off small sizes cheap every year then they are wasting money making them. You can equally argue the costs should be put on to people wanting low demand and high cost sizes.

What will be labelled as oversized clothes?

A quick Google suggests the average waist size for a guy in Britian is 38". From what I see most shops stop at a 38" waist.

Marie likes this.
  4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    To be fair fabric is cheap as *, the difference between a kids size t shirt and a massive tshirt is probably about 10p

Marie likes this.
  5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Of course they should be able to charge more. If you need double the fabric to make a dress/shirt/suit etc then it's obviously going to cost more in materials and time taken to make the thing.
    If people find it that unfair they have a number of options.

6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Good, their clothes are *.

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Certain clothes it probably does like things that are hand made, the generic clothes people wear mass produced though in poor countries. It probably barely costs any more time or money. Especially when at the end a tshirt could be put together and shipped for about £1.50-4 each and are then sold for £5/10/20/30/50/60/80/100 at the end.

The difference in the cost of an Asian factory to make a £5 Primark t-shirt or a £90 Armani or Hugo Boss t-shirt is probably only about £2.

Marie likes this.
  8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Actually crazy how cheap clothes really are when you look at it.

The average weight of a medium tshirt is 138 grams and an XL tshirt is 156 grams, so 18 grams difference in 2 sizes. The price of a Kilo of cotton is £1.12, so the difference in the material of a Medium tshirt or an XL is 2 pence.

Then Tshirts are really sewn together in straight lines, how much longer does it take a 12 year old chinese lassie to run a sewing machine and extra 2 inches about half a second? - may be worth an extra 1% of a penny.

Things like football tops and boots are probably put together with a bit of plastic worth about 1p.

Marie likes this.
  9. oh bhoy

It's ridiculous to stick the arm in fat people for bigger clothes ,with obesity on the rise its a means to charge more for their product.if the argument is more material etc then why do baby clothes cost so much.I'm pretty confident if there was a worldwide anorexia outbreak there would be an equally ridiculous reason for a higher price on skinny clothing.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That's a slightly simplistic view on it that doesn't take into account other costs like storage, transportation etc.

Going on your weight averages per t-shirt if you were to transport a tonne of medium tees you'd receive 7,246.

For the XL you'd receive 6,410. That's 11.5% less.

People are letting their over-sensitivites regarding weight influence their opinion on this matter I feel.

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Depends how much they sell also though, the average size of a guy in the UK is 5ft 9, 13.2 stone. In clothes sizes I think that is an L to XL? if they sell more bigger sizes then they'll likely still make more money on the bigger sizes than the smaller by selling more.

If clothes cost more for bigger sizes then they'd already be higher priced and probably always would have been. The fact they are not probably means the difference is negligible which is probably is.

12. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    A womens flimsy tops with shoulders missing can cost more than a mens polo shirt. I don't get it. There's a lot less material there yet a L man pays less than a womens size 8. Crazy world of fashion.

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Women probably demand a lot more different styles of clothing though, so lower quantities will be made of different items driving prices up because they hate to look the same or wear the same as each other. Where as guys dont really care much for different styles so most stuff guys wear can be made in far higher numbers.

You'd rarely almost never see a group of 5 women with 2 wearing the same top or skirt or dresses together but youd see groups of 5 guys together where 2 or 3 might be wearing Ralph Laren polos and they dont care.

In clothing shops that sell male and female the womens areas probably twice the size of the guys at least.

14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Why not cut down on the Pastry,ffs:56:

Not being being funny but everbody and everthing that is Rhino sized blames everybody or everything else,mind you i do except that Beefy Bites are lovely!:56:

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    A t-shirt doesn't cot £20+ to make in the first place either. The cost/sale price is mute, the point is though, these things do cost more to make when you need larger versions of them.

I'd be inclined to argue that the price different should probably not be as high as they make it, but then we would be going down an overall different conversation - price to make the item in the first place, sweatshops etc etc - but for some to come out with this notion of a "fat tax" is just silly as *. The word tax is clearly used to invoke an initial rage in the reader, because who doesn't hate taxes. But it isn't that at all. It's the cost of making the item that is the issue (then corporate greed).

16. celtic warrior

The cost of making an item for these high street retailers is literally pennies, unless it's leather, from what I've seen in my days at working in one of them.

Because it might cost a few pennies more to make does not wash with me as you've then got the issue over people who are genetically big, some who have no control over their weight due to a litany of health issues and not forgetting the price of certain kids clothes.

I can buy an outfit for my newborn baby and it cost between £10-£30 depending on where I want to buy, where as for me I can by jeans and a tee for roughly the same price..

I wouldn't go down the road of a fat tax, but if retailers want to charge more then they should only charge the difference in cost as when your already marking up an item that's cost you £5 all in to create, ship, send out to stores or store in online warehouse but sell it for in excess of £50 you can see why people would complain about anything, not just this issue if customers feel like they are getting fleeced

17. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Where you buying jeans and a t shirt for £10? :56:
    Can’t even buy them for that out a charity shop these days

18. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Asda, jeans from £7 t-shirts from £3-4 :50:

19. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Last time I looked at jeans in Asda they were about £12 for the nastiest cheapest pair.

North/South divide? :39:

Edit: and naw it wasn’t the fat section :56:

20. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't know what they are like but cheap enough for anyone who is skint.

You have long legs then? :67: