1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big squad changes

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Cmcgregor90, Feb 18, 2018.

Discuss Big squad changes in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cmcgregor90

They need to stop! At the start you could see why but simply not now as we are dropping far to many points

They are fringe or subs for a reason they are not better than the players infront of them. I fell for it when i seen the team on paper and thought not bad but the match quickly realised it would be one of those days

Its english team mentality reversed into we drop for here instead of europa etc like many english teams do. This to me seems we think its in the bag etc. I get thursdays a big game changes can be done but not nearly a full team

We are now in a situation where we have two tough away games coming up with 3 wins ahead of the rest ot really is a state wether you wanty to deny it or not

2. Sween

I this weekend was a bit of a unique situation given it was sandwiched between europa games and we need to go to russia for the second leg. We wont be making 7 changes as standard.

3. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    The arguement would be if we get through to the next round we will have a game against the scum between two europa league games. Will it happen again.

4. Sween

I think it is a trade off if you are trying to win on all fronts. I think if Aberdeen or Rangers were closer we would make less changes and the 9 point lead give a bit of scope to rotate more. I think it can only really be judged at the end of the season but I dont have an issue with it given the game on Thursday

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Play full strength, and lose to zenit - should rotate more.

Play full strength and pick up injuries - should rotate more.

Don't play full strength, win against saints and beat zenit - tactical masterclass.

Don't rotate at all - manager should give youth/fringe players more game time.

The manager can't win...

6. dmac

The changes didnt work as planned on oaper it was a good team but we have dropped points when we have had our top team on the park

7. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The players on the park were good enough to win that match, they all train together every day and they all know the tactics and style of play. Calvin Miller being the exception.

It's down to the tactics/formation we are using rather than the amount of rotation for me. We've been as poor in games where we've played our strongest 11 this season.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    9 points is nothing in the league when 2 our of your next 3 games are away at your 2 closest teams.

Say you lose both those games and Aberdeen and Rangers win their next 3 matches thats it down to 3 points with 8 games to go, thats a title race and a half then tbh! but its all ifs and buts!

9. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    The team that was selected was decent. It should have created better chances than it did. But you have to accept that many of those players hadnt played together in a while and that's just the downside to rotation between three competitions.

My only qualm is why didn't we play two strikers, mix the formation up at home against a defensive side? St Johnstone had zero shots on target. Surely, Odsonne and Dembele could have played together in the second half? We needed a goal at home against st johnstone and we kept just 1 up front. We brought on Dembele, may as well have gone for it.

The same thing occurred against Hearts in that 4 nill defeat. It was a shocking pitch not suitable for slow build up or tippy tappy. Should have gone with two up front and played more direct. Hearts got three goals from long balls not being defended well enough.

We slagged Strachan off for being stubborn. Same should apply to Rodgers. We've drawn 7 games in the league, the third highest in the league.