1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bhoys at the World Cup

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jordann, Apr 2, 2018.

Discuss Bhoys at the World Cup in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Couldnt find a thread for it, but was just wondering which of our players will be at the world cup this summer? Or have the chance of getting selected for it. Off the top of my head I know there is:

Gamboa - Costa Rica
    Rogic - Australia
    Lustig - Sweden

The maybes:

Boyata - Belgium
    Dembele - France
    Sviatchenko - Denmark

Not sure if I've missed any but probably follow these countries more at the world cup and was thinking it looks good for pre-season and champions league qualification if we're only missing 3 players.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Good thread, just to see where we are at the moment.

I don't know much about Costa Rica but Gamboa hasn't had much game time so that might be doubtful unless they are so small a population they don't have much choice. He is a decent player with plenty of pace but I think a country like that might want a defender but I'd love the romance if they just said let's go for it no matter who it is and punch above our weight.

Rogic is a sure thing. If Australia don't pick him I would be so glad, not for him cause that would be brutal but for us cuase imagine the impact he might make in front of the whole world? We're not going to compete with those agents.

Boyata I'm sorry to say is not going to get near the Belgium squad, this is their golden era and he's too porous.

Erik I've not seen for ages, when he first played for us I thought he was brilliant and even after he was dropped I was still thinking the same because I couldn't understand it. I can see him getting in the squad easily even though he's not played for us for a while, he has obvious talent.

I feel sorry for our French players because they are full of talent but France seems to be having another Golden era with young players so it'll be tough for them to make the squad. Of course I hope they do and they get a chance to make an impact at International level like our home grown players do even though we get pumped by the teams France will have a chance against it feels a bit unfair for their potential not to get that opportunity.

3. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Gamboa, Lustig and Rogic are the only ones going it looks like. Boyata will get nowhere near, they already have Vermarleen and Dendoncker on the bench if a CB needs replacing and same with Sviatchenko .Dembele has 0.1% chance of getting in unless Mbappe, Griezmann, Ben Yedder and Giroud all get injured.

Sad that we only get to watch 3 of our players play and only one of them is deserving of their spot on this seasons form. Was looking at the group stages before and it's a shame how many poor teams are involved, they need to change the qualification process.

Australia qualifying is a major example of how flawed it is (even though I will be hoping they do well), they finished 3rd with 19 points and were playing 3rd world countries for most of the group and then played Honduras and beat them 3-1. Yet Scotland finished 3rd in a group that had only two poor teams in Malta and Lithuania. Finish 3rd gets you nothing in European qualification yet in Asia you get a lifeline even though they play worse teams, how does that work? Same can be said about Ireland, they finish 2nd yet have to play-off while teams such as South Korea and Saudi Arabia automatically qualify ?!

4. jvalin

Problem is, Lustig and Gamboa play the same position. As things stand right now, our only option at RB will be Ralston (for the most part of the qualifiers). Unless of course we play with 3 at the back.

5. oh bhoy

Its a bit of a change from France 98 when we sent the most players from any club ,granted Scotland were there but still!

6. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Quite surprised that there is only actually 3 that are more than likely to go, honestly thought I probably missed out a few.

I'm pretty sure gamboa is first choice for Costa Rica.

I hope that having two rbs out will force us to sign a new one because I'm not sure if Ralston is ready yet.

7. Ľubomír1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Marvin Compper recall lol? :fear:

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Looking at it every player who will/could possibly play at the WC, i really dont see here next season!

Exception could be Rogic but he might feel its time to move on, so dont think it will matter to us, Gamboa isnt rated clearly, Lustig Mrs i think wants home and he is done!

Boyata is pish and wont probably sign a new deal so should be moved on.
    Erik (like me) seems a torn faced *, so wont be back

Dembele will move on this summer and if he has a good end to the season we should get decent cash for him

Massive summer for BR coming up!!!

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Zero chance of Dembele going.

France are overloaded with talent in the forward areas.

10. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Embarrassing to even consider dembele a maybe for that french squad. He will never win a senior cap for them

11. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Dembele was in the provisional 33 man squad I'm sure, only reason he is in the maybes and I think France rate him, so never know.

@Blochairnbhoy it is actually quite funny but yeah they could all be gone this summer.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Hope Gamboa plays a blinder and earns himself a move and hope Rogic doesn't and signs a new contract.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

14. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's been capped by Belgium so it's not impossible.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I know mate, but it's incredibly unlikely.

Jordann likes this.