1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Gig

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Ciaran_67, Apr 29, 2018.

Discuss Best Gig in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

Every gig I’ve been to there has been special, and a complete sweatbox. Crowd always seem right up for it too.

Marty McFly likes this.
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I seen them at the ABC, one of the weirdest gigs I've ever been to. Front man tanned a full bottle of red tabls wine during it, then cracked another and spilled it all down himself.

muffitO'tea likes this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Start wearing purple, wearing purple...

Officer Doofy and muffitO'tea like this.
  4. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Some of the best gigs I've been to have been the mighty QUO as well mate.

Marty McFly and packybhoy like this.
  5. Heb Celt

Pearl Jam at the Milton Keynes Bowle. Paige and Plant at SECC. Leftfield and Death in Vegas in the Slam Tent a few of top of head.

6. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have been to some truly remarkable gigs. From technical perfection of Pink Floyd or The Cure to the pyrotechnics of Rammstein and watching a full on pitched battle taking place (Guttermouth). From absolute car crashes, such as watching a band imploding in front of your eyes (L7) to being in moshpits that defied description (Faith No More). From the high octane and insane Iggy Pop literally bringing in the new millenium, or the bittersweet final farewells of Hunters and Collectors or Crowded House in front of the Sydney Opera House.

There are some acts who were incredibly consistant every time got to see them, such as The Ramones or Nick Cave, and then there are those that put on terrible shows some nights, but then able to turn it on and just be incredible and experienced both ends of their respective spectrums, such as the Smashing Pumpkins and Metallica. There are some acts that were born to play live, and then there are those that excell in the studio but seriously underwhelm live, such as Radiohead, or flat out have been left disappointed everytime (Bob Dylan). I've seen some acts grow, such as Green Day, from the first time seeing them in a room barely bigger than a pub with about 25 people there to selling out stadiums for American Idiot, and witnessed Nirvana up close and personal from the side of the stage, pure raw and draining every last drop of passion and energy from the crowd.

Could rattle off a top 20 and still struggle to have some that don't make the cut for whatever reason, but some that deserve mention include Queen, New Order, You Am I, James Brown, Sonic Youth & Beastie Boys, Superjesus, Placebo, Bowie, The Pixies, Bad Religion, Elvis Costello, Jeff Buckley, U2 & BB King, Springsteen, Stone Roses, the Stones, Rancid, NOFX, Pearl Jam (going down to London this coming summer for them again... one of my xmas gifts :86:), Foo Fighters, Amy Winehouse, INXS and Midnight Oil, to name but a few. Of all the artists that ever wanted to really see, the only one I really felt missed out on was Sublime. :54: The point is, I've experienced a lot, admittedly not nearly as much in the last 10 years or so, but for one to stand out really underlines just how much I rate this one night.

George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic All Stars - 2005, Enmore Theatre.

*! * *! Get off you're * and jam! To the windows and to the walls, the mothership was absolutely bouncing! Literally everything and everyone. It was pure carnival and everyone was invited. An array of amazing vocalists and mind-blowing musicianship, including an amazing duel between the late, great guitarist Garry Shider & violinist Lili Haydn a particular highlight as the late Belita Woods belting out her sentimental journey, with the party all being orchestrated by the one and only grandmaster of interplanetary funk himself, fusing soul, jazz, blues, rock, pop and rap in the funky goodness that only P-Funk can. The acid that night just made it so completely perfect, for the music, the surreal stage antics, everything. 3 1/2 booty grooving hours of the best funk you could ever hear as musicians and singers came and went and came back again. Even in the crowd there was no shortage of natables from the world of music dancing and joining in awe.

It was an experience noone wanted to miss on and more, to get completely funked up. :notworthy

It was a pleasure to get the P-Funk experience on 4 other occasions before and since and every time they delivered an amazing night, but on that occasion it was a whole different level. As long as I live I would be stunned if anything could ever top that night.

7. leeso-ardoyne

Osasis in Belfast at the start of the 2000s. What a night that was. Lived up in lisburn out of the way at the time then party back at my house after the concert. Great times they where. Haven't been to a concert in years, think the last one I was at was Christy Moore. Got threw out of it for singing! Wouldn't go anywhere near any of his concerts again

8. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Was at Slipknot in Dublin last Tuesday and it was absolutely insane, never experienced anything like it. It was crazy. Behemoth supported them and they were pretty decent too, but when Slipknot came out and played the first song Unsainted the place just went nuts and it was like that for the entire duration of their set. They're so so good live.

9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

The singing kettle.

10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Seen Slipknot live when I was 11, was wild:56: used to be right into them and Korn when I was a wee guy :giggle1:

Clint Eastwood likes this.
  11. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    The Boss at the MetLife..New Jersey

Started at 8pm a storm came in every one made safe ...concert restated at 10 PM it finished at 2am

12. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Some excellent reading in this thread. I'm jealous tbh, would love to have seen half the acts mentioned. Butttt for me it was a cover band who's name I don't know who played the arts college in Belfast. I'd just took a couple of trips was on the top floor looking over the balcony to the stage and these four guys breezed out with two bass and two acoustic guitars. Didn't sing a word, just stood there in their black shades and leather trench coats and banged out a load of tunes.
    At the end they all had bass and played one of these days.
    Offt magic

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    @Taz that's some epic * man :50:

14. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Seen Slipknot and Korn on the same bill as headliners Metallica and openers Him at Glasgow Green about 15 yrs ago. They tried to get the Download Festival here in Scotland over 2 days but the 2nd wasn't as big a success as the first. Linkin Park headlined the 2nd day. Great show btw.

15. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Seen Korn at the SECC when I was a wee guy as well. * loved it.

16. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Old one....REM Newport leisure centre

newish ones.....Gomez and Hawkwind at the tramshed Cardiff

17. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Forgot about Wolfetones at Barrowlands 1988 - Brilliant gig.

18. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Queen 1986 St James Park Newcastle.
    Metallica Durham ice rink 92 I think.
    Manic Street Preachers before the guy disappeared.
    Iron Maiden Newcastle.
    Guns'n'roses Gateshead stadium.

Those are the biggest but not necessarily the best.

Quicksand in Bradford
    Dead Stop and Annihilation Time in Belgium.
    ABC Diablo Bradford.
    Rollins doing Black Flag in Liverpool.

Those are the ones that have stayed with me the most.

19. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Guns 'n' Rose's - Olympic stadium 2017
    RHCP - tennants vital 2016
    AC/DC - Aviva stadium 2015
    Iron maiden - 3 arena 2017
    Metallica - slane 2019

20. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Was never really a * Pistols fan but the wife and I decided to go see them in Budapest....they were surprisingly good, and the city was great too.

Seen the Damned so many times but the gig we went to see them in London at the Roundhouse was a great night ,supported by The Dickies made it even better as I love that band.

Saw The Dickies many times but in Dublin we saw them in great wee bar/venue called The Thomas House....top top weekend away from the Temple bar.

Another good one was The Ruts DC at the Melkweg in Amsterdam... superb venue.

Saw SLF at the Ulster Hall Belfast....what a gig and atmosphere,here's a video I shot of the song Alternative Ulster.