1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bertie Auld

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Jan 20, 2012.

Discuss Bertie Auld in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. sh4rk3y

It might not have been him, but i'm pretty sure it was. My dad told me he was at a Celtic doo and Bertie was there, my dad said someone asked him about them singing "For its a grand old team to play for.." in the tunnel v Inter, he said one of the Inter players said something in Italian, and Bertie shook his hand and said "I'm going to boot your * up and down that park" :56:

As i said it might not have been him... but thought i'd add i anyway

Bumblebee and Swervedancer like this.
  2. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Only met him a couple of times but had the priveledge of seeing him play many times. Without doubt the man is Celtic to the core. Brilliant patter and one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet. I can't recall anything specific he has said myself but will share two that have become legendary over the decades.

Bertie to Tiny Wharton(Referee) - "If I call you an * Mr Wharton will I get booked?"
    Tiny. - "Yes Mr Auld. You'd be in trouble."
    Bertie.- "What if I just thought you were an *, what would happen?"
    Tiny. - "If you just thought it nothing would happen"
    Bertie. - "Well Mr Wharton, I think you're an *"

On being asked how the (at that time, current) Rangers team that went on to win nine in a row, would fair if they were to play a match against the Lions, Bertie replied:
    "If I'm honest I think it would be a draw, but to be fair most of us are in our sixties!"

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    54 years ago today Bertie scored his first ever League goal for Celtic against Clyde in a 4-1 win. Other Legends Bobby Collins, Charlie Tully and Sammy Wilson scored the others.

Swervedancer likes this.
  4. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Love the wee man.

Wee Bertie and wee Jinky are my two favourite Lions.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Heard so many cracking stories.

Was meant to be a nutter when he was a manager.

I remember Alan Rough telling how Bertie would come in and kick the * out of him, call him a fat *, and basically slap his chops with a wet towel until he cried. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Roughy claims this was not done for any particular purpose, but simply for a laugh. :56::56:

He seemed to imply that Bertie just liked to come in and pick on him to cheer up the rest of the dressing room after a bad result.

:56::56:

I have his book (which I would advise all Tims to get) and he actually makes reference to the abuse of his players LOL

He says something like "I only wanted Alan to toughen up a bit, I loved him really" :56:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  5. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Met him the other day, absolute gentleman

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    :56:

He was in the ticket office when I went for Ajax tickets and asked a guy if he was joining the green brigade he said no im getting tickets for Ajax and Bertie said something like "enjoy it over there, go over the top but dont take it to excess" :56:

7. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    met him on a book launch on the 40th anniversary got pics of Bertie holding him, the weeman was 6 month old cesar shat out of holding him and Bertie volunteered i was like a wane in a sweetie shop tommy gemmell and willie wallace where there too i got the free match ticket tshirt signed.

8. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  9. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    He was my grandads apprentice when they played at Dumbarton, Don't know if he'd remember him now.

10. Swervedancer Guest

Nice one thanks Raoul. He could fair place the ball from the edge of the area. Loved the free kick too where the keeper is just stood in the same shape as if he's going skiing and doesn't move.

Also the little chip over the keeper was Larssonesque.

Seems to have been a brilliant character too. Not just for his winding up the opposition but apparently he was round to visit Jinky every day when he found out he was ill.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Doogs. and The IRA like this.
  12. CregganCeltic

Bertie, The Absolute Legend. poured a pint for me in Bairds bar many years ago.:lager:

13. Aidan O’Shea

Seems a good egg. My dad told me I met Bobby Murdoch once, but I can't remember :(

14. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    That quote about Greig and the win bonuses is the best thing I've read all week

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Bertie on TV Interviewer " You won everything that year " Bertie " If we had a Horse and Clubs we would have won National and Open as well

17. TheHappyLoss

Love the wee guy he's a riot. His affection for modern day Celtic is as strong as it was in his era.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

* shat it when I saw this bumped.

Sean Daleer and Mr Shelby like this.
  20. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    years ago bertie and jimmy johnstone were signing copies of the celtic calendar at menzies on sauchiehall st just before xmas. so I took a day off work and went down to see them. after waiting in line I got both of them to sign 2 calendars and got chatting to them, and I suppose I was taking up to much time so bertie asked me to get them 2 glasses of orange juice for them from a table behind where they were doing the signing, when I gave them the juice bertie just smiled and winked at me and jimmy johnstone burst out laughing.
    it was only later I realised I must have been annoying them, but not to offend anyone they must have planned this beforehand to keep the line moving thus the reason JJ burst out laughing, cos it worked.
    that was the 1st time i'd met my hero's.
    met them on numerous times after that, but the 1st time was special........... great guys.