1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Benfica v Celtic, 20/11/12, 7:45PM.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC-X, Nov 17, 2012.

Discuss Benfica v Celtic, 20/11/12, 7:45PM. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jayzhinho67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing !
    but not in this thread :50:

2. 1904

Fav Celtic Song:
    I just can't get enough
    Love seing you Celtic fans here in Lisbon! You'll always be welcome, even when you sing for Sporting... ahahah Like my mate said, there should be a rule in wich Benfica and Celtic always stayed in the same CL group. :)

Talking about the game, I think we were better all the time, excepting that last 5 or 10 minutes (I was about to die lol)
    We don't have that much chances of going trough, but we'll surely give our best in Camp Nou and I'm sure you'll do the same against Spartak. Whatever happens, good luck to you for the rest of the season mates. :)

3. Jayzhinho67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing !

No thank you :56::56:

4. 1904

Fav Celtic Song:
    I just can't get enough
    [​IMG]

Great support also. Respect :)

5. CelticFC1967

Thanks a lot for the kind words! Benfica were the better team last night, deserved to win and probably should have won by more goals. The last set of games will be very exciting now!

6. TimMalloyBhoy

I appreciate you're respect my friend, and good luck to the rest of the season as well mate:50:

However, You're players are a disgrace If I'm being honest, a team of divers, cheats and play actors who frequently manipulate the referee into giving them free kicks and wrongly punishing the opposing sides players. DOn't get me wrong, you're team are clearly technically better than ours, but then why do your players feel that they have too cheat to win?

It's what is wrong with football on the field today in my opinion. I'm sure your fans would have the same response if our players acted this way and not your own.

7. 1904

Fav Celtic Song:
    I just can't get enough
    I agree with you. And the refs here in Portugal keep helping that, since everytime a player gets a touch they say that it's a fault... our players then do the same when playing in Europe Competitions. I don't like it too. :86:

8. TimMalloyBhoy

I don't think I would like it much either to be honest, I am sure your team is only like this because they have adapted to Portuguese refereeing,

Do most of your fans not like this? Is there anything been done too change it?

9. Doire_Bhoy

These Benfica supporters are very nice, aren't they?

I do like it when other teams' supporters join and be so friendly and chatty. It always reflects very well on their team in my eyes. Mutual respect is always good.

10. SLBkap

Here in portugal, any contact and its fault. :smiley-laughing002:

11. TimMalloyBhoy

Here in Scotland, you sometimes have to be punched in the face for it to be a fault!:56:

12. SLBkap

Ahaha really? Thanks for awsner all guys. Il watch shity real madrid. Cya later. Just put here 1 foto of this year in Stadium :icon_mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  13. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    I agree.

Every time we've been in the group together, we've qualified by beating you to second :icon_mrgreen:

14. TimMalloyBhoy

Nice picture my friend.

All the best and good luck with the rest of your season. Except against Barcelona! Only kidding:smiley-laughing002:

15. SLBkap

I dont have any good expectations to get forward. we dont win in camp nou and u guys will win spartak easy. they really suck. i still dont know how benfica lost in russia :87:

16. Miguel SLB

Yeah. I agree with you. Even if Barcelona plays with its "second" team, it would still be a very diffucult game and extremely hard for us to grab a win at Camp Nou.

Celtic has a much easier job, against the weakest team of our group who has already been out of Europe and has nothing to play for, and also with the crowds support i honestly can't see Celtic not winning that game.

PS: Saudações Benfiquistas aos portugueses do fórum :86:

17. TimMalloyBhoy

You never know though lads, football is a funny game. Stranger things have happened, like us beating Barcelona! And that is when they had not qualified.

18. Luz1904

First post, just wishing you Scottish fellows good luck this season, mainly in Scottish Competitions and Europa League, if possible. Celtic and Benfica every year in the same group? * no. Give us Rangers:smiley-laughing002: You seem to always give us some tough opposition.

I believe we were a better side yesterday, much due to Matic and Enzo Perez. They replaced Javi Garcia and Witsel way better than anyone was expecting here in Portugal. Matic even played injured (that's why he left earlier). The high tempo our midfield was able to impose (Salvio and Ola John as well) seemed to be a little surprising or overwhelming to you guys, but nothing I would be too worried. Benfica is playing at this level for a while now and Celtic is doing brilliantly so far. No easy task to keep Spartak out of european football with still a game to play.

Seen some curiosity regarding our assistance. It was about 40k, which is the average at Da Luz. 60k only against Porto, sometimes Sporting and the pot 1 team. We don't completely fill our stadium all the time, but we fill the other portuguese teams stadiums and even some foreign stadiums.

Against Paris SG, Paris all red, for example:
    [​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6kv50yq80&"]Liga Europa: PSG 1-1 Benfica (0-1 Nico Gaitan) 17.03.11 - YouTube[/ame]

I was really impressed with your GK. Monster. Samaras did what he does. I believe you lacked some creativity, some more ability to keep the ball in possession. I know you guys aren't much technical, but you managed to play some positive football in Glasgow. Chasing the ball is nerve and physically very challenging.

Good to see the Celtic fans in Lisbon, always welcome here. Read it was a great time at Estádio Nacional (Jamor). Finally some green team managed to bring a Champions League trophy to Portugal:smiley-laughing002: I'd like to give you my congrats for the low debt by the way; every team likes to pile up debts these days... Wise decision to control those finances. Read about it before the Celtic - Benfica and I was impressed. Keep finding those gems (Wanyama, Watt) and building up the team. A bit like Benfica does.

Regarding the last match, I believe chances are 60-40% in your favor. We'll be cheering for Spartak as Barcelona is no easy task... I'd gladly take the Europa League challenge, as I would see us as one of the teams-to-beat, but the financial difference between CL and EL is substantial.

Admiring Celtic fans since that classy gesture in honour of Miki Feher, best of luck.

19. celtic warrior

Not even that mate you need to manhandle the red on a number of occasions for it to be a fault!:50:

Actually wait a minute I think I got that one wrong:97:

You have to beat a player to header while the ref aint looking as he got his back turned on you, that seems about right:50:

20. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    “We beat a team that has had a lot of luck in the Champions League. Luck deserted them today.” - Benfica manager Jorge Jesus after the game

What an ungracious remark. I hope Lenny posts it in the locker room before the Spartak game, because it's a real slap in the face to what this young team has been able to achieve in their (most of the team's) first UCL campaigns.

Just tweeted this to Lenny. Sure hope he sees it! (can follow me @bmn322)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012