1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Bayern Munich v Celtic; UCL Wed 18/10/17,1945, BT SPORT ESPN

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Oct 14, 2017.

Discuss Bayern Munich v Celtic; UCL Wed 18/10/17,1945, BT SPORT ESPN in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    CL fitbaw enables us to keep progressing financially, but does the product on the pitch reflect this ?

JML67 likes this.
  2. ThisIsGhod

This sounds absolutely crazy, but one of the reasons why Atletico Madrid are now a force in Europe arguably is because they developed their team in the ELnot CL. In terms of development for Celtic that is definitely achievable.

Lochy1888 likes this.
  3. TheHappyLoss

The gulf between us and the elite is huge but thought we looked terrified against PSG and Munich first half, that's not helped

4. Bhoyo87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A soldiers song
    I'd like to see us make progress in Europe this season like anybody else would , and given the current standings in our group can't see any reason why this is isn't a possibility, but in the europa sadly , there's plenty season still to unfold here wouldn't read too much into last night in the grander scheme of things atm

5. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Utter nonsense..

6. joemc

Last night our passing and decision making was to slow ,our movement was predictable giving them time to close down space and our options out of defence .
    In these situations it is so important that your defence can come forward past oposition strikers and be comfortable doing this ,this then means their midfield gets pulled out towards us opening up the space in midfield .
    This never happened last night .
    We were never able to get the time to build our passing or our game ,we never got to play our style of game until the second half when they were thinking about their nxt league game .
    We need to learn to play our game on speed ,be more comfortable taking the ball in tight areas and not panic ,go down easy when touched if there is no out ball ,paddy shoulda done a few times ,but also we also have to acknowledge we are a young team learning a new way to play and in an unforgivable environment .

7. thetic19

we looked nervous we always play better second half in these games, either way spending 4 million on another centreback and we still would get pumped, bayern munich and PSG are both superb teams

8. Lochy1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Very good point never thought of it like that.

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

We got a * of a draw with 2 of the most attacking strong teams in europe. Remember beyern smashed arsenal 10-2 over 2 legs was it? Yet people think 3-0 with a disalowed goal, 2 cracking saves and even hitting the post twice isnt good enough.

A smidge to the right, left and scotty onside and suddenly were 3-3.

trackebhoy and Sydneysider like this.
  10. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    What was most disappointing was not losing 3-0, it was the type of goals we conceded.

To lose three goals from three headers (2 directly, and one which resulted in a rebound tap in) is soft.

Also, four of the 5 goals against PSG were from crosses into the box. (the 2nd goal, the penalty was given away due to a foul when a cross came in, cavani's header and lustig own goal clearing a cross)

This is occurring because we are sitting off their players, keeping tight and compact in the centre - which closes of the opposition from through balls, but gives their wingers/full backs time and space to cross the ball in.

Are we losing goals from crosses down to not having two CB's in the box to defend those crosses, or is it due to playing Ralston and Gamboa at right back who cant stop the crosses from coming in?

To play this tactic we need two centre backs and two regular full backs. Simunovic has played 62 out of 120 games since he signed for us.

Last year Man Utd beat Celta Vigo, Anderlecht and Ajax in the last three rounds...the board need to spend money on a CB and we could do very well in the Europa post xmas.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  11. john2061

Its a cert we will be in the europa league after Xmas and the board must release funds to get better defenders in as we a lacking depth in that department.

12. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Listen guys I'm still struggling a bit with this game. For me, I don't we think we did ourselves justice. The goals were very poor which is the real frustrating part for me. In hindsight, even if we had started with different players I still think Munich had another couple of gears. We didn't make them really work for it.

With regards to finances, and I've mentioned this before, I still remember the MON interview the year after Seville. We had just reached another quarter against Villarreal. He pretty much said he knew to close the gap and take that team to another level would take serious cash which was out with our clubs reach. That was back then and there was a fair gap. Now it's just mental! I'll take a Europa run but for me that's a lot harder to do now than back then and personally I don't think this team is near the level of the Seville team YET!!

It's a work in progress and we've taken a few sore ones and I really hope we learn and these doings weren't for nothing!!

Onwards and upwards!! Hail hail!!

Bhoyo87 likes this.
  13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Just saw highlights, on holiday.

Did Gordon do something in the lead up to the corner?

FD

14. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    From memory, as I don't want to watch again, he gave away the ball with a pass out which led to corner. I'm a Gordon fan and I know he's playing under instruction but sometimes you just need to put the leather through it if there's no easy pass and you're not 100% sure.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  15. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

[​IMG]
    Just landed back now. Some trip. Never drank so much in my life.
    Almost missed my flight due to having to pick my bro up from the hospital (nothing serious)
    Lost him at some punk gig last night haha just think they’d never seen a drunk Irishman before and put him on a drip.
    Gonna watch the highlights now. Sinclairs goal disallowed why?
    Chatting to loads of Munich fans, friendly bunch and they are all desperate to come to Celtic Park. The ones In the teir below us spent more time looking up at us than at the game haha
    Managed to sneak in under the fence to get out of the home end into the away end. Seen about 50 people do the same thing.

Sean Daleer, CalgaryBhoy and Chavez like this.
  16. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    If he wasn't on the park, I would have said that was Broony behind you...cracking photos HH

Idioteque likes this.
  17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, I'd say the quality we have on the pitch surpasses our financial progress. We do better than most teams in Europe in that regard.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Brilliant mate, sounds like a blast.

Idioteque likes this.