1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Cobbs67, Dec 29, 2008.

Discuss Bass Guitar in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    I have just ordered myself a bass guitar which I would like to learn. I have never played one before. Was just wondering if anyone else plays bass and if they have any tips for learning or playing one ?

Cheers

2. SlutHumper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Niall McGinn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    dunno if its true but my uncle says the bass is the second easyist instrument to play!

3. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    i had one a few years ago. its really easy to learn the basics but very hard to step iot up and learn "flea" esque bass playing. i got a video with mine from the "bass institute of southern california" with some hippy showing you how to play. an excellent instrument but very limited unless you're playing with other musicians

4. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    Cool. A few of the mates have acoustics and another one used to play the drums and is away to buy new set and start playing again. Thats why I ended up going for a bass. Watched a few clips of flea on you tube, amazing !!

5. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    Hopefully it is true !! Ha

6. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    cool. its a fantastic instrument when played right. a scotsman is actually my favourite bass player, jack bruce from cream he played the bass like a lead guitar.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=FI8SUc2SV4k[/YOUTUBE]

7. Rosario FC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain, Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, The Celtic Song
    My first electric guitar was a Bass, I dont have one at the moment but I've been thinking about getting another for a while now.
    Its not a really rewarding instrument to play unless you're in a band, or discover that you have a flair for it.
    Heres one of my favourite bass players, James Jamerson, he only ever used one finger to pluck the strings.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqtELR5GyfI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

8. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    nice tune as always barry.

here's another one of my favourite bass players and one of my favourite songs ever, jah wobble of public image ltd. any U2 fans will notice that the edge based his early guitar playing on this song

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ylOCIP54PIQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

9. kennydal

My son plays both bass and lead ,he plays the bass well and will play songs like money -pink floyd like most others do ,but a while back i heard him playing something i knew and i liked his answer ,,he was playing a kizz song ,100,000 years which is an amazing song live for both bass and drums ,i said kizz ,and he replied ive blanked all the other music out and concentrated on the bass ,which i do quite a lot ,and he has got it down to a tee .

10. kennydal

Loved that song when it first came out ,you can hear the similarity between the guitars on it ,but i do like u2 ,and you clagan mate dont :97:

11. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    i hate them now rab but i love early U2 before bono dissapeared up his own * and started thinking he was the second coming. up until they released "zooroopa" i loved U2. they had an urgency about them and a message to spread, i loved them but became dissalusioned with them when they started releasing *. they made a huge differenece in ireland at a time when the country was in an awful state, culturally, politically and econimically. they gave us something to be proud of on a worldwide stage

12. Rosario FC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, The Celtic Song
    Good shout ! Jah Wobble is another fave of mine, I love all that heavy dub reggae style!!.
    p.s
    I never made the connection between Keith Levine's guitar style and The Edges style until now

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  13. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    i saw him playing at a festival a few years back, a bit self indulgent but if you can play bass like that i suppose you may as well show off

14. Rosario FC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, The Celtic Song
    I love this track.
    Jah Wobble and the late Ronnie Drew: Bagpipe Music
    (bass comes in at 0.55)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_jR1EPtmKo[/youtube]

15. kennydal

I do prefer there early stuff mate ,but i remember at the time when zootv arrived ,it was a big dig at the press because they said u2 were very one dimensal ,so they done that as a big * you to them ,i went to that gig at parkhead ,it was a great show ,and most of it was kinda early gear but the stage show opened a few eyes .

Ive got go home on dvd aswell at slane castle ,thought that was a great gig and the stage show was not on that massive scale ,a better gig .

Apoligies to the poster of the thread ,went a bit off topic ,sorry

16. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    i appreaciate what you're saying about zoo tv being a "* you" to the press but i didn't like it at all. here was a band preaching to us about third world debt and worldwide poverty basically mastrubating on stage. it was extravavgant, over the top and against everything early U2 stood for. i thought it was embarressing for them but i can appreciate it from a purely entertainment perspective

17. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scotty Broon & Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I used to think the bass was boring but the more i play it the more a love it. I was a guitarist for years before i even picked up a bass so it came quite easy for me. But yeah, if you have good control over your fingers well (sounds silly but it's very important) then the bass is prob one of the easiest instruments to learn.

You should just get a wee chord/note book m8 then get some tabs off the net for songs that you know inside out. It won't be easy training your right hand (if your playing right-handed) to play in rhythm but stick at it, you will get used to it.

Saying that am not very good at that coz i use a pick, being a guitar player and all :50:

P.S. I thought i was the only * in the world that thinks U2 are dung. Thank * for that!

18. kennydal

Well if you look at it from that side clagan ,your correct mate ,principles do count .:50:

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bass guitar is an under appreciated instrument.

Check out guys like Victor Wooten to see some really funky bass playing.

20. SlutHumper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Niall McGinn
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    here is a clip of me on bass

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=h5fYwiXZeFU[/youtube]