1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Barcelona vs Celtic, Tue 23rd Oct, KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by chris89, Oct 20, 2012.

Discuss Barcelona vs Celtic, Tue 23rd Oct, KO 19:45 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mfisher

Cost of team means nothing though. Tactics were pretty much the same. Messi called it anti football when Rangers got a draw against them. I was quick to jump on that comment and used it against them so many times. I hated watching Chelsea do that last season and was gutted when they got through but you can argue they got their tactics right on the night. If people look on our performance in the same manner you cant really argue with them. That is the only way we could approach the game last night so we cant be hard on ourselves for doing that but suppose we cant be upset if people think we just parked the bus because basically thats what we done.

2. oh bhoy

negative football my * * . We took the lead!!! we took the game to barca we didnt hoof it foward like chelsea did we tried to play it out every time and when our passes break down we shouldnt work hard in defence to try and win the ball back again???

3. celtic warrior

even if lenny set the team up to play the way we do in the SPL we still wouldn't have been able to do it, overall Barca played so well when in possession that we had no choice but to track their movement which led to us being pinned back.

Lenny brought on Commons and Forrest to try and get the ball further up the pitch but Barca's control and movement stopped us from doing that

4. slowburner

Anti football is when teams resort to sitting back and kicking the other team all day, Rangers have had Dailly, Elbows, Ferguson and the sort to kick, pull and muscle the opposition while having zero intent on trying to score.

Although we played defensively it's just the way the game panned out, I thought early on we held a pretty high line and pressed them high up the pitch and fed Samaras a few times. Then we scored relatively early and against Barcelona do people expect us to go hunting a second and third. We contained them relatively well in the first half and conceded late in the half. The second half begins minus Samaras and I though there was a wee ten minute spell were Forrest got running at them and caused them to stop playing and defend for a time. Then it hits the hour mark and a draw is a great result for us so we decided to stick, we heaped pressure on ourselves conceded chances and ultimately the goal.

However unlike Chelsea etc we never got a chance to respond to the goal. Had that goal been with 15-20 minutes to go and we still sat in then that is anti football but a draw was good enough for us and they scored when we couldn't respond. We never once resorted to diving, kicking, intimidation or time wasting and although we still lost we did not play anti football.

5. Joemcl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Adam Matthews
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Barca were immense,they are the beautiful game,the one team who every club on this planet must measure themselves against and after playing them most find themselves going back to the drawing board to see where it all went wrong.
    I can pay no higher accolade than that,they are wonderful :notworthy

As for Celtic FC.....Bhoys,you done us proud...* Bless the lot of you,what a fantastic effort...To us Celtic supporters your the best team on the planet.
    Keep up the good work :celt_2:

6. Darnok

Bhoys, I'm in Holland just now, the game was on local telly last night as they show Barca when there are no Dutch teams playing and they loved us. Very harsh, they thought. I think we have gained a few more admirers but I thought it strange they knew nothing of us beforehand. They knew Henke, of course but they know us now!

7. obonfanti1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Henrik Larsson is the King of Kings
    I'M BACK! Guess I let my emotions get the better of me last night, apparently I ended up trolling someone?

So gutted yet so proud of the bhoys last night.

8. Bunk Moreland

Schuster is a * and looking at his 14 year managerial career he's in no position to start criticising and teams tactics. A summary of his last managerial position.

You would think that someone who a year ago was sacked for employing idiotic tactics would know better. * clueless.

9. rmurphie

Brilliant article on the "special relationship" between Barca and Celtic. Love the story about the kids meeting our fans on the subway.

"As two mothers and their kids, fresh out of a football match entered the metro, the Celtic lads greeted them. The boys were both dressed in green and white match clothes, not Celtic’s, but their local club’s. They didn’t seem to speak any English and the Celtic fellows knew no Spanish, but they still found a way to communicate. One of the Celtic supporters, a middle-aged man, couldn’t resist handing over his Celtic scarf to one of the boys. Another Celtic supporter followed suit and gave his Celtic scarf to the other boy. One of the mothers divulged that they supported Barcelona. Soon pictures were taken with their new found friends, and as the boys left the metro with their moms and huge smiles on their faces, the Celtic fans screamed after them “Don’t forget.. GLASGOW CELTIC”. I’m sure those two boys will never forget this event and had gotten themselves another favourite team."

10. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    I had to watch the game at work, managed to catch the whole of the second half. Didnt realise so many Barca fans worked at my work. After asking one particularly avid Barca supporter if he attended many games, he replied that he was actually a Rangers fan. He then proceeded to jump around cheering when barca scored on 94 mins. To which I replied, "well barca are a little better than Stirling Albion". His reply to this was "well as long as Celtic are still botherd by Rangers results, that'll do me", to which I said, "mate, your the one sitting watching the Celtic game"

11. DSR3

Wow, what a * that guy is. I just laugh when they are celebrating Barcelona scoring against us, their situation cannot be compared to ours at the moment, we are light years ahead.

12. imacdiar

Instead of * about teams parking the bus Barcelona should see it as a compliment.They play to their strengths, other teams do like wise its the same for Real madrid probably the second best team on the planet they sit back and hit on the break when playing Barcelona.The difference for Real Madrid is they have fantastic striking options and when they get a chance the usely score.Loosing Samaras meant our game plan went out the window otherwise we would have been able to push on more.

13. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    But they play Sevilla more than once a year, they beat them 3-2 not long ago. Paddy power are correct.

14. PackieBonner

Fav Celtic Player:
    Frank Connor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm going to own up and admit that honestly I thought we would be beaten 3-0 or worse.

Am so Proud of the club for that display.

Nobody will want the Celtic now if we make the next round.

The squad and Neil were fantastic.

We are back where we belong, and we are seen to belong which is just as important.

What strides Lenny has made in such a short time!

Great times to be a hoop (as always), roll on Barca at paradise!!!

They will be on guard now, but I still feel we could * a point.

Good times lads, Good times!

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

From Bleacher Report. Whoever wrote it is obviously clueless:smiley-laughing002:

16. Shane1888

Stopped reading after "weak group" :smiley-laughing002:

17. mfisher

Superb read that article :50:. proud to see us have such a great relationship with probably the biggest and best team in the world

18. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    That website is run by clueless yanks who go on as if they get their information off FIFA!

I do look at it sometimes for their top 10 or 20 lists on all sorts of things, love them ha

19. Shane1888

I often read Bleacher Report, but not for football, or "soccer".

20. SloBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Forster and Ambrose are in UEFA's team of the week.