1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Arsene Wenger

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Liam Scales, Feb 16, 2013.

Discuss Arsene Wenger in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Most overrated manager in history?

2. Doire_Bhoy

All EPL managers are over-rated.

3. Bratfurdbhoy1

Good Manager- but he has been at the same club for too long- thus stubborn and set in his ways. Well done Bradford and Blackburn for booting him out the Cups though!!

4. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Always gets them into the CL, apart from that he would frustrate the * off me if I supported aarsenal.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Not all of them, Alex Ferguson, Davie Moyes, previously Jose Mourinho are all rated spot on in my opinion.

Arsene Wenger though; the further he got away from George Graham's defence the more it just went absolutely downhill for him. 8 years without a trophy at Arsenal. How can that be good enough?

His tactics are non-existent for me, his substitution are poor, his team selection is bizzare, his man-management is pish. He's excellent at spotting a player, I don't think he can put it all together though.

6. Shane1888

He was a good manager at some point in his career, but he makes too many mistakes now for my liking.

If he had been at Celtic, he would never have lasted as long as he has. No titles since 2004, no trophies overall in years.

7. Doire_Bhoy

Yes, and we never hear the end of it. I don't discount that the EPL has good managers like the ones you name but Jaysis they are certainly talked up.

8. Celtic abu

Na, I wouldn`t say he was over rated. His early Arsenal teams were brilliant but since the invincibles season, he has kinda lost the plot. They got to the CL final in 06 but they were nothing special that year. He should have resigned at least 3 years ago

Bayern are going to maul them

9. Mr. Slippyfist

He certainly is doing a * job at Arsenal currently.

I'd say he is now over-rated, even if he once wasn't.

Would be best for all if he just went to France or something and got in a manager that knew how to defend.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aw aye, PR Machine. Especially managers like Pardew etc. they're bummed up when they should be regarded as mediocre at best.

But there are managers in there who are very, very good. Personally I reckon Ferguson is the best ever.

11. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

if he fails to qualify for the champions league this year i think he'll be gone

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He had leaders in that team, they led on the pitch for me. Since then he has failed to replace them, the likes of Pires, Henry, Vieira, Gilberto, Campbell, Toure, Seaman... all leaders.

Who could you say is a leader in his current team? Vermaelen. That's it.

13. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    'Overated' seems to be a trendy word on here.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Dunno bout 'overated' but I do hear overrated a lot on here :celt_2:

15. obonfanti1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Henrik Larsson is the King of Kings
    Wouldn't say that but Wenger made a major misjudgement by neglecting experienced players for youth. Look at the teams that won all those titles and cups, yes they had brilliant footballers like Henry, Berkamp, Pires, Ljunberg (when he was good!) but they also had hard * like Martin Keown. The Arsenal of recent years are excellent on their day but when it doesn't they don't seem to have guys who'll grind out a result.

I respect the fact that Arsenal have ran their club well and don't spend (in relative terms to the likes of city, chelsea) ridiculous amounts of money but I think Wenger's time is running out

16. Rude Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    See he built his genius teams on George Grahams "Boring Arsenals" defence. He replaced that defence shrewdly, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Ashley Cole. Since then, he hasn't. He hasn't got anyone near replacing the likes of Paddy Vieira.

He can't spot what he needs. We picked up Victor Wanyama for £900k. Can you imagine him at Arsenal? Would go a long way to solving there problems.

When he has spent big it has been on unnecessary players like Andrey Arshavin. Same season for less money Everton bought Maroune Fellaini....

He doesn't know what they need and he ends season after season trophyless.

18. Celtic abu

I would agree with you there. There were plenty of leaders and big influential figures in that team. It really did go to * when Viera went though. He still hasn`t replaced in the leader role and in the player role. He needs that big commanding midfielder. Someone like Wanyama. He`s been making the mistakes of buying certain players when there have been better ones in the market. Far too stubborn

I don`t know the ins and outs of the Arsenal board but has he really been helped by them? A lot of it is Wengers fault but I don`t think the board has given him the proper resources to keep up with the big boys

19. Jungo

Great manager

20. Bunk Moreland

I don't think he's overrated I just think the footballing climate in England has changed a lot since he first came, when he was winning trophies it was possible to spend a fair amount of money and mount a serious challenge, these days you have to spend big money to be at the top and Arsenal aren't prepared to match the big spenders and have trouble keeping their star players like Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie. In saying that I'd like to see a change at The Emirates just to try freshen things up because everything just seems a bit stale at Arsenal these days.