1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you satisfied with this transfer window?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Partickbhoy, Aug 31, 2014.

Discuss Are you satisfied with this transfer window? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Damnati

We look to have made six signings. I don't really understand how people can be dissatisfied.

What you're really unhappy with is how our signings from last summer have turned out.

2. Murph-E

No I'm annoyed that it's August 31st and we still haven't spent a penny.

3. KevvyBhoy

To me the most important thing about a signing is quality, need and urgency; all of these come before quantity.

At the start of the window – and assuming our best guys had stuck around – I would've gladly only signed 2 players if they would've addressed the glaring weaknesses in the team which are to me up front and in midfield. IMO we needed a quality number 9 and a powerful Wanyama-type midfielder; and we needed both before the CL qualifiers.

Another natural left-back is probably also needed, but given Mulgrew and Matthews can play there, and that we'd struggle to get a better player than Izzy for an affordable fee, I'd be willing to forego this signing.

As it stands we look to have addressed none of these areas, and we certainly didn't do so before the qualifiers, otherwise I'm confident we'd have beaten Maribor.

We lost Forster and replaced with Gordon who will be a good signing; we lost Wilson but replaced him with VVD who's a good signing; we lost Ledley but brought in Johansen who I think will do well. However, we lost Hooper and haven't replaced him and we lost Wanyama and haven't replaced him either...in 3 * transfer windows. These weaknesses were blatantly obviously last season as our strikers failed to score regularly summer to January and toiled defensively in Europe and therefore should've been made top priorities.

And just on the point of not replacing players like-for-like quality-wise: I hope to Christ the club has something up its sleeve if we lose VVD because Denayer, Ambrose and Mulgrew at CB will not cut it: Denayer is inexperienced, Ambrose can be a liability, and Mulgrew is in awful form and looks to have regressed since he had his cracking season here under Neil Lennon. Lustig can play there but he's better at right-back.

Yes, you're right: last summer's signings have been disappointing. However, if that's the case, the club must move on and make a second stab at it. We don't look as if we have, and given the lack of outgoings and the time until the window shuts it doesn't look like we're likely to either.

4. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Our early transfer window was woeful not one player was bought with the intent of him being a starter. that was when a club in our situation should be doing most of their business with the qualifiers but the board completely * up this transfer window and got what they deserved .if we had got some of these players in around mid july we would have been the team we are aiming to be by the time of the europa in time for the legia game and we would be 15 million pound richer and be planning trips to lisbon and gelsenkirchen.

5. Farmer

I think the three forwards will come good and Gordon was a great bit of business so I don't see why people are so disappointed?

edit: by the three forwards I mean Wakaso, Tonev and Scepovic. Jury's still out on Berget for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  6. Murph-E

Jury's out on the only one who has actually played? And scored? :56:

7. Farmer

He's also played like absolute *, but then again so did the rest of the team. So yes, jury is still out. As for the other three, we haven't seen them play yet so they're gonna come good. Got it? Good. :56:

8. Markybhoy

No I'm not happy with it at all.

9. Daddybear29

it mirrors mowbrays transfer window in summer 2009 as mentioned earlier.

season is a write off for me already.

Ronny talks a good game and is a nice guy but he is not celtic standard like a lot of the players.

10. Admiral Browm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    A transfer window also means players out. When are we getting rid of the *? I am looking for a new gardener so if Mulgrew is free transfer(which I have no doubt he is) I'll take him off their hands. He is wasted in that midfield role, his strengths are clearly not football.
    Seriously it's the worst ever, Lawell says we live in a fantasy, we fucken have to! We are like an ugly bloke who can't get a bird.....he has to fantasise and watch *. We do the same fantasise of a 2m signing and watch Stoke.

11. fluffyhamster

I think what we really need to do between now and jan is get rid of a host of 'nearly there' players. They just aren't good enough and waste so much I'm wages. The difficulty remains trying to find teams who are interested in these players on, even to our standards, slightly bloated wages.

I would have like players leaving to have happened quicker but I suppose it's always difficult assessing players over 5 or so competitive games getting used to a new system.

As for transfers in, I like the loan to buy idea it's worked in the past with the like of Samaras and think it negates the need to spend big bucks on a few duds e.g Bangura like we have in the past. In saying that I would have liked us to have bought a couple of players amongst these loans and of we manage to get a couple buys in before 2moro :rolleyes: I'll be reasonably happy!

I'm sure Deila will get it right and hopefully this is the beginning of something incredible. I'm ever the optimist!

12. AlbaGuBrath

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjällby, Lustig, Brown, Lubo, McStay, Bonner
    Disappointed that we haven't signed more than a 19 y/o CB on loan with no option to buy or that once again Izzy is left with absolutely zero competition for his position.

13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    No, and it doesn't help with our idiot of a manager and idiot Lawell spouting crap.

Its not only players that laugh at you Ronny, fans too, stay away from England you dork, thick as * if he thinks Celtic fans want us to sign the likes of Long ag £12m, McCormack at £11m.
    And as for Lawell giving it £6-7m and £38k for Fletcher, eh naw ya bawbag, you could have halved those fees when everyone said to buy him for Hibs.
    Signings are too late now.

14. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    wished we signed robertson or some other good scottish talent.

15. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    We are still gonna need a centre half next season, when the young lad from City goes back, Berget seems more inconsistent than Sami was, Tonev we signed injured only time will tell with him and if Gordon stays fit we will habe a good Keeper.

Only one I've not seen is Tonev playing for us, seen him at Villa was not impressed but he may be much better in our league.

Forgot not seen the boy who played in Russia.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  16. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Transfers all happened far too late.

I'd rather we signed the likes of Andy Roberston, I want more of a Scottish identity.

We haven't offloaded enough * yet, I thought it would be harder to offload than sign but we appear to struggle with both in equal measure.

Berget one game looks interesting then the next a useless *.

Denayer has potential, looks a tad shaky at the moment.

Tonev? wit the *

Wakaso, He looks a players

Scepovic, I think he'll be a very good goalscorer for us.

Needed a left back but we'll likely persist with Mulgrew as back up.

McGregor has been a revelation, kudos for Deila starting him but maximum credit goes to McGregor himself, he has stood up to the plate and has shown in games he wants to drag is forward. Now it aint hard to look good in a team of * but you can only do what you can do.

Aw and * the boards attitude... Allowed us to regress as a team by lack on support for Lennon, causing us to lose track of where we were and where we could go, stability was lost.

Now we start from scratch with the same poor execution of signings.

Back to the basics and beginning we go, learn in the Europa, hopefully build a team back up to the level Lennon had.

What happens then tho? Rip it all up, sell, * off manager and fans once more coz the board don't want to progress any further.

What a * life as a Celtic fan if this happens again, likely when that situation is about to happen, Huns, Diets and Hibs will arrive back in the league, allowing more interest and a baw hair more investment.

I cannot believe our club is being run on the basis of waiting for the huns to return. Oh wait, I can.... The Chief execs of both clubs have alway been in bed wae one another trying to sell the Old Firm to maximise revenue

17. TuffGong

Fav Celtic Player:
    leslie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    big leslie sticks da ball in da netty
    Nah. Think Wakasa will be good though.

Tonev will be *, you heard it here first.

18. Maximilian88

I think Wakaso will be good Gordon is great, Berget looks shocking,Tonev don't know and i don't think we will get Scepovic now

19. Kiko 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson - Lubo - McStay
    Not even a little.

20. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Most disappointing thing for me is we didn't get rid of the * we have here already.