1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you satisfied with this transfer window?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Partickbhoy, Aug 31, 2014.

Discuss Are you satisfied with this transfer window? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Vertie Auld

I think Gordon is the better keeper all round. Better distribution, far better command of his area. Bizarre decision to let the bearded Greek go though.

2. Cmcgregor90

No because we have signed a central defender who looks decent but how can I say yes when he is on loan with no chance to buy well have first choice

Sold our keeper and replaced with somebody who has t played in 2 years

I cant speak about the new boy tonev and if we sign that striker because I haven't seen him play

Think I could answer the question better in a month or two

3. Cmcgregor90

Right now the only decent signing was securing McGregor on a 5 year deal

4. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Since 2012 only improvement has been van dijk and maybe Johnson still has proving to do

5. Lanz

Kinda thought that was the reason John Collins was appointed as his assistant. I know Collins obviously hadn't worked directly with any of the players but he would have known enough to advise Ronny what we needed asap.

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Even if Collins had a bette rinsight of the current players. Ronny is the manager. Ronny makes the decisions, he isn't going to make a decision without seeing the players first hand.

7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Gordon, is as good of replacement as we could have hoped for. He's an excellent goalie. Samaras, aye, I wouldnt have let go and I don't think Ronny would have either, given the choice. But We have bought in players who we havent even seen.

We could have a couple of gems for all we know in Berget(I know it's doubtful given his perfoemances in Europe :smiley-laughing002:), Denayer, Wakaso, Tonev and Scepovic.

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not sure about Denayer yet. He look talented, and quick, but his strength worries me a bit.

9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Been a shocking window, worst I've seen for a very long time.

10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Worse than the window we signed Lukasz Zaluska, Josh Thompson, Grieg Spence, Landry N'Guemo, Danny Fox and Marc-Antoine Fortune?

11. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    What ever happened to josh Thompson was he not really highly rated

12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I think he was fairly highly rated for the level he was at, which was League One. He only played a handful of matches at that level before joining us though, He's at Colchester now.

13. TimFloyd Gold Member

Yes but was as fast as a giraffe with broken legs.

14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Could be on par or even worse only time will tell.

15. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Still faster then Mulgrew then haha

16. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Or could be a lot better. Particularly if the new bhoys we haven't seen yet, shine.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Disappointing.

Gordon and Denayer look like good moves. I'm excited to see Wakaso and if this Scepovic deal ever goes through, I have high hopes for him.

But we needed more. We've signed 3 wingers/attacking mids which is good but I'd have forgot about one of them if instead we went for a defensive midfielder or a left back.

18. TimFloyd Gold Member

True :smiley-laughing002:

19. Murph-E

Very poor.

20. KevvyBhoy

I'm disappointed with this window.

I do think we've made some signings that could be good short- or long-term acquisions (I happen to think loans are a good idea) but I feel we've still not strengthened the key areas of the team and – perhaps most damningly – the business was done far too late. We also sold our best player for £10M which everyone knew was going to happen and makes not strengthening before Champions League qualification even more unacceptable.

• Scepovic and the lad Mubarak from Rubin Kazan should've been signed prior to Champions League qualification because we lack a number 9 and Deila wants more wingers for his system;
    • We signed an injured player;
    • Berget I think will come good but he's only here for 6 months and – despite working hard – had little influence in our qualification campaign;
    • We still haven't replaced Victor Wanyama with a natural and adequate anchor man, which I think going into qualification should have been a priority to avoid us leaking goals that can obviously make all the difference in qualifying;
    • We still don't have cover or competition for Izzy;
    • There's a damned good chance of us losing our best centre back (Van Dijk) and maybe even our most influential player (Commons) from last season with no apparent moves in the market to ensure we're ready for this (that defence minus Van Dijk and no replacement will leak goals like nobody's business);
    • We still have a surplus of strikers that would be considered first-team players. The competition must be streamlined to accommodate bringing in better players. To me this means we keep the best one or maybe two (if we only sign one player) of what we have (I'd suggest keeping Griffiths and one of Stokes or Pukki), keep a prospect for regular games off the bench or against lesser sides and as cover (Fridjonssen or Atajic) and offload what we don't keep. IMO we only need 3 first team strikers and one younger prospect; less (2 + 1) if we persist with playing only one striker.
    The only signing I can say I'm 100% happy with is Craig Gordon. He's vastly experienced, is an excellent goalkeeper when fit, and is probably about as good a keeper as we could've picked up.