1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Are we in trouble?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Aug 17, 2018.

Discuss Are we in trouble? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

We are in no danger of rangers catching us this season. Calm yourself. We are still in a different class. We will win the league this season and I'd still fancy money on a cup or two along the way.

What does concern me though if we go another three transfer windows like we have and that lot do too.

Mind we stopped them doing ten when they had been out spending us all over the place. It's not impossible they could stop us in the same way.

All I give them is this. In terms of improvement, they have beat us this season. I don't think we have got better. But let's not ignore the fact they still have a long long way to go if they ever will catch us. Honestly think they will go bust before that day

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  2. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Must admit I'm on the verge of * myself. There is genuine discord at the club, the last window was a farce and this one is only shaping up to be marginally better, team performances have been flat from early autumn last year and early indications are this is not improving.

If we are being completely honest there is probably as much dross in the squad as there is genuine quality.

We're out of CL and If this is what our transfer policy is like after 2 consecutive CL campaigns I hate to think what it will be like over the next 2 Windows. While there is still time to bring in recruits I can't help but think anything done at this time equates to panic buys/loans.

We simply don't really know, yet, what kind of domestic challenge we will get this season so, at this stage, to simply say things like " the league will take care of itself" or "we're miles ahead of eveyone else" is an opinion that is pretty blinkered. If we repeat anything close the umpteen 0-0s from last year things could get squeaky *.

Now, I am an eternal pessimist and worrier, always have been, can't help it, i always fear the worst in all aspects of life. While I don't think we are in a crisis just yet I do think we are staring down the barrel of one. The next 2 weeks are crucial to not only this season but the quest for 10

3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I am NOT concerned.

bagforlife and Marie like this.
  4. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    On the home front i ain't concerned but in Europe we need to strengthen our defence big time.
    The penny pinching is going to * us up in Europe.

Marie likes this.
  5. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We're *.
    Think I'll pick up a Man City jersey today and get on the EPL train.
    Blue is such a lovely colour :fear:

bagforlife, StPauli1916 and Marie like this.
  6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :68:

7. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Not concerned at all. Much of this debate is all around our signing policy this summer. We have not improved the squad, that's for sure. However, domestically it doesn't need improving to win the league but that doesn't mean we should not be adding quality to it. As bad as our defence has been there is still enough there to get us through a domestic campaign, we proved that last year when for the most part we struggled to get any form. The squad needs freshened up and defence strengthened for Europe. There seems to be a knee * reaction to the Huns and Honey G's start to the season amplified with the over the top stories in the * about us being in freefall and what a fantastic job Honey is doing, Brendan under pressure blah blah blah. Their brand of football is * and only a defeat away from a crisis, they haven't really played anybody yet. It is clear Honey is under instructions to get into Europa as they need the money. We hit a ropey spell where Brendan and the board have had a falling out over the transfers but there is 2 weeks to go so I would expect at least a couple of signings in, if not then that's when we should maybe start to be concerned. Sometimes you need a kick up the * when you get a bit complacent, going out CL was ours.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The OP is in trouble of being found out, aye.

9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

We've let ourselves go, but we're not a mess yet. A few players of quality is all thats required, some new defenders would really bolster the team and ideally we could move on the deadwood along with Jozo + Debo.

We still have a world class manager, a young and exciting team full of talent, the best fans in the world, and the best resources in Scotland. There's concerns but it's hardly a crisis.

jamesfr and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Paddy McGinty's Camel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shuggie Edvaldsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    It's bolt ya rocket from me..............not a great start to the season, but some people are going way over the top.........btw lets see where the confidence of them who are the living dead is at, when we skelp them in a couple of weeks time.

jamesfr and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. Mr. Slippyfist

Voted we're doooomed!

12. Martybhoy53

The first change should be in scouting and recruitment because clearly it's not working. Congerton should go and a new head of recruitment brought in. Someone who knows what a decent defender is for a start.

jamesfr likes this.
  13. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    pretty sure we are not , must do better tho .

StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. jamesfr

What's actually happened?
    Firstly,we lost 1 game to Hearts which was largely down to fielding a weakened side so as to give us a better chance of qaulifying for the Champions league. There is no issue here.

Secondly,we failed to qualify for the Champions league,this is more serious as was due directly to a lack of investment in the playing squad and in particular the failure to improve the defense.This is the biggest issue.

Thirdly,Boyatagate, this was most probably to to an * agent filling the player full of ideas and egging him on for a move so he could get his cut,Boyata didn't handle it well at all and now will probably never play for us again,we most certainly could have handled it better.We have to remember here how much of a liabilty he has been at times and is a bigger liabilty now from off the field,get shot ASAP and move on there are better players and individuals out there.No issue here we just need to punt him and move on.

Side Note: Recruiting duds,this is always going to happen but we seem to be recruiting more than our fair share and needs looked at,whethere it's the recruiting staff of the lack of funding from the board or both,if you have a budget you can still find good player within that budget,I was very impressed with the AEK defense and they were all very affordable.

15. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This is probably the best reply lol

True enough 3 week ago I wasnt worried in the slightest

Fast foward to a mcginn * up, boyata farce, Emilio resigning, CL gone, BR publicly belly aching, hearts defeat and load onto that plate of * the fact that sevco got passed maribor and its all taken it toll maybe.

A defensive signing or two would do us all the word of good as we certainly have enough in the middle and up front at home and the europa.

16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Concerned, as there seem to be little signs of the board's policy changing.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We’re currently playing, mate.

Might want to turn your attention to the team you support?

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The team's offensive performance doesn't change my level of concern- only the board policy changing can. We need to spend money on defenders.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Nae bother pal.

20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Can I change my vote ? :fear: