1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Andrew Gutman

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by 88jimmij88, Feb 3, 2019.

Discuss Andrew Gutman in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That him away on loan again then?

So didn’t get the permit :39:

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. MGall1386

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Hopefully keep him around when he finally gets his permit, looked quite capable in preseason

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I was impressed with him too in pre-season. Not scared to get into a tackle and has an eye for a pass.

Tommy25 likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Good, so he can play MLS now?

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye so should get work permit all being well next summer

Rydo1888* likes this.
  8. Priest

Looks like he also signed a contract extension with Celtic before making this loan.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Lenny must rate him so, looked decent in pre season

Rydo1888* likes this.
  11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Excited even more now he will get a run out against ibra hopefully get good experience as well

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Needs that USA call up to help his cause for a work permit, I really like the look of this guy. Yes it’s another season out on loan but hopefully it means he will be with us next season.

Blochairnbhoy, Rydo1888* and Valhalla like this.
  13. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I liked the look of him in pre-season, another year out on loan (and hopefully a US cap) and he'll do well with us. Maybe not first choice but back-up at the very least

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    As the USA season runs as a calendar year can he not apply for a work permit for January?

Rydo1888* and JC Anton like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The last six or seven months have been crazy,” Andrew Gutman said with a sense of relief. “I thought I was going to be in Charlotte for a while; I thought I was going to in Scotland for a while. Finally, to get this deal done, I’m really excited to be here.”

Back in December, Gutman was a senior at Indiana University playing in the 2018 NCAA College Cup. Still in school, that was his focus – and probably the last time things were clear until Saturday.

In the next month, he was named the best college soccer player in the country, declined an MLS Homegrown deal with the Chicago Fire, signed with Scottish Premiership champions Celtic and then saw Celtic’s loan move to Nashville SC come apart after it was announced.

Eventually, Celtic sent him on loan to the Charlotte Independence in the USL Championship.

But then Celtic recalled his loan, had him play in preseason friendly matches and just approved a loan signing deal with FC Cincinnati that will see Gutman play for the Orange and Blue through the 2020 season.

In short, after months of movement and uncertainty, he finally has a new home and stability.

“Mentally, this can make me relax a little bit,” he said. “I think it will elevate my game knowing I have a long-term home.”

Gutman’s arrival will elevate FC Cincinnati, too.

Cincinnati haven’t fielded a natural left back since Greg Garza was injured May 19 in Orlando. In essence, they’ve had to tinker their backline, with Mathieu Deplagne and Justin Hoyte having to play on the left when they’re naturally right backs.

As recently as Friday, Garza was practicing and recovering from a calf injury, but he’s still not cleared to play. Until then, the tinkering continues

But having Gutman available changes things. For Interim Head Coach Yoann Damet, this can only strengthen the team. Despite the left back only being 22, he’s a well-known talent in American soccer and was named to the 40-man provisional U.S. Men’s National Team roster ahead of the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.

If FCC were playing without two left backs, they’re close to having two USMNT-quality ones available for selection, which is an option unparalleled in MLS.

“I’m really excited to learn under Greg,” Gutman said of Garza. “I know he’s been a long-term left back for the national team, and he’s played for some good clubs. I’m just going to be hanging around him and trying to learn everything I can from him.”

The biggest thing for Gutman now is to utilize something the last few months have lacked: consistency.

He’s in one place with one club for a long-term future, and is the type of player who can excel in FC Cincinnati possession dominant style that builds from the back.

“Fans will like to see that I get forward,” Gutman said. “I’m very direct. I like to play with the ball at my feet, just like the style of playing out of the back here.”

16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Blue and orange, urgh

RI Bhoy likes this.
  17. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Best college player in the country was quite a achievement.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  18. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    FC Cincinnati manager Gerard Nijkamp on GUTMAN (Source - Clubs Website)

“We were looking for the backline for an extra player and from the left side,” Nijkamp told reporters. “With (Greg) Garza injured, he’s coming back in a few weeks and we needed an extra player in the position.”

Gutman’s loan means he’ll be with the Orange and Blue for the remainder of this season and next. The left back could even play next Saturday when Cincinnati play at Columbus Crew SC in the first #HELLISREAL Derby in MLS play.

Nijkamp said FCC were interested in the 22-year-old back in January but were unable to seal a move. He’s a player the club kept on their radar and will soon be able to see him in an FC Cincinnati shirt.

“I saw him on video and I liked him a lot,” Nijkamp said of Gutman. “I think he will fit the way we play now and in the future. He’s a strong defender and aggressive in his one-on-ones.

“He likes to come up and overlap to go into the attacking third. That is what I want to see from the right and left fullback, so he fits our playing style.”

With Gutman fit from Celtic’s preseason activities, he has the ability to step right into the lineup. Should that happen – as soon as this weekend at Columbus – it should allow Mathieu Deplagne to switch to his natural right back position. Once Garza fully recovers from a calf injury that’s kept him out since May 19, Nijkamp said the left back spot will be open in a position battle.

“In a roster you need consistency,” he said. “That means you cannot only focus on the first 11, but you also need 11 for the bench … That means we’ve got an extra option for the left side. Because we wanted to have a profile on every position, on the left side it’s aggressively do well playing with space in the back and in attacking, making the overlap.

“Garza is the same profile as Andrew, so that’s a nice fit.”

Gutman is the second player FC Cincinnati have signed during the summer transfer window, which closes Aug. 7. The club signed center back Maikel van der Werff from Vitesse on July 2

Regarding the moves – acquiring a new starting center back and another left back – Nijkamp said it’s crucial FCC builds their backline before adding players further up the field.

“It’s like you have to build a house,” he said. “You start with the groundwork and the foundation and that is also something we are doing with this team … Starting in the foundation means starting in the back four and from that we will build to the top.”

The club is looking for attacking options, however.

Before the summer transfer window opened, Nijkamp said Cincinnati wanted depth at left back, on the wings and at forward. So far, the two moves have only been defensive-minded ones. When asked about it, the general manger said the club is working to make the right move to fill positions of need.

“Of course, we are also looking for an upgrade for up front, but they must also be available in the market. If not, then we’ll focus on the next window for the preseason for the next season.”

https://www.fccincinnati.com/post/2019/08/04/nijkamp-provides-updates-transfer-business

tarboltontim likes this.
  19. RI Bhoy

"Gutman’s loan means he’ll be with the Orange and Blue for the remainder of this season and next."

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

20. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm fkn confused with these Americans.