1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Draft] All Time UK/Ireland Formations and Tactics

Discussion in 'Competition Corner' started by Callum McGregor, Apr 18, 2017.

Discuss All Time UK/Ireland Formations and Tactics in the Competition Corner area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    When everyone has uploaded their team and tactics, send me your votes based on the following categories:

Best Team:

Best Attack:

Best Midfield:

Best Defence:

No discussion in this thread until all teams are posted.

When voting on squads, only take league performances into account. Do not bother listing non league trophies or awards as they are irrelevant.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    [​IMG]
    Defence:

World class stopper in De Gea, who has been in the PFA team of the year on three occassions, along with winning MOTD Save of the Season 4 years in a row and being the Man U Player's Player of the Season twice.

At left back we have Graeme Le Saux, widely regarded as one of the best full backs in Premier League history, winner of the Premier League with Blackburn Rovers and becoming a stalwart with Chelsea. He was also a member of the PFA team of the season in 1995 and '98.

Nemanja Vidic will partner Billy McNeill in the centre of my defence. McNeill needs no introduction on here, voted as the club's greatest ever captain, winning 9 league titles in a row.

Vidic is one of only three players to win the Premier League Player of the Season twice and the only defender to do so. He won a total of 5 EPL titles and three of those were consecutively (only 5 English sides have managed three consecutive titles). Ferguson, one of the greatest managers of all time, rated him highly enough to become Man U captain and he was an absolute rock at the back, finding himself in the EPL team of the year on 4 occasions.

On the right side of defence I have Cesar Azpilicueta, winner of the EPL with Chelsea and also a the winner of Chelsea Player's Player of the season. A pacey and energetic full back, his 5th season in the EPL sees him remain a key player in the Chelsea side and he looks likely to bring about his 2nd EPL league title.

On the left I have Robert Pires, part of the Arsenal 'Invincibles' and two time winner of the EPL. 3 time member of the PFA TOYT and 1 time winner of the FWA POTY. As well as providing assists, he's a significant goal threat.

Nani is on the right, who can unlock defences with his trickery and set goals up for my forwards. He's got 4 EPL winnner's medals in his trophy cabinet, along with a Man U PPOTY award and a PFA TOTY award.

In the middle of the pitch, we have Michael Essien acting as the ball winning midfielder and protecting the defence, he was great on the ball too. Essien won two EPL titles with Chelsea, being voted as their POTY in 2007. Highly rated by Mourinho, he was a regular in the Chelsea side that became notoriously difficult to beat.

Beside Essien, I have the best EPL midfielder of all time in Scholes. A great box to box midfielder with a goalscoring threat and his infamous passing, he'd be the pivot around which my team would revolve. He racked up an incredible 11 EPL winner's medals, making it into the EPL team of the decade.

Robbie Keane will act as the link between defence and attack, a fantastic player on the ball who's run's and goalscoring ability can open up any defence, winning Spurs' POTY on three occasions. He's also the 13th top scorer in EPL history(126 goals), being one of only 26 players to be in the EPL 100 club.

Finally, we have Jimmy McGrory, the all time highest scorer in British top flight history, amassing an incredible 538 league goals, including 55 hat-tricks. There will be no shortage of goals in my squad as Keane, Pires, Nani and Scholes would be providing this man with plenty of opportunities.

To prove you've actually bothered to read this, post your favourite chocolate bar in the main draft thread, but don't say why as it'll confuse the others.

3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    1492513375545.jpeg

Shove yer stats up yer *

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  6. James Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

A team with countless Premier League medals and also Jamie Carragher. Stacks of Fa Cup and League cup medals. Champions league winners, Europa league winners and super cup winners. A solid spine with pace and flair in attack

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    [​IMG]

edit: Will update in 10 mins

Once again, I've tried to get a team that has a bit of everything. After my first pick (Cantona) I went for British players only after that.

Defence:
    In Pat Jennings I have one of the finest GK's ever. A man who made himself a legend both with Spurs and Arsenal, which pretty much says it all. Over 1,000 games in British football and an extremely safe pair of hands.

In front of him, 3 of the best English defenders of the past 30 years. The leadership and sheer defensive power of Tony Adams combined with the pace and intelligence of King and Walker either side of him. The 3 at the back would suit this trio perfectly, due to that aforementioned pace of the two side CB's with Adams just sitting killing *. Includes 2 one club men and a Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wed legend in Walker. In total, all 3 chalked up nearly 1800 professional first team games in English football, so no lack of experience.

Midfield:

Once again I feel there is good balance here. 4 absolute legends of the British game who lit it up from the 1950's right through to the early 2000's. On either wing you have arguably the two greatest crossers seen in the UK in Robertson and Beckham, with the latter arguably the best ever, never mind just in the UK. Both players had a bit of everything and there would be no short of service for the men up top. Beckham's set pieces are of course a major weapon for any top side.

In the centre you have two men who faced many a battle against each other. Bobby Charlton and Billy Bremner. Two legends of the game in every sense and two who would compliment each other pretty well I feel. Charlton was pretty much the complete midfielder so that B2B role I have him in would not be a problem. His stamina, passing range and shooting ability making it perfect. Billy Bremner acts as the defensive cog in the midfield, not moving too much from in front of that back 3. He could battle with the best of them in his day (as could Charlton) while also being able to play a bit, scoring over 100 goals for Leeds United. Two men who nowadays both have statues outside their respective clubs ground...says it all.

Attack:

The strikeforce has everything. In Rush you have one of the finest goalscoring poachers to ever grace the game and Liverpool's all time top goalscorer. He would thrive on the service given to him from that midfield. Cantona is the side's stand out maverick and creative cog. A man who on his day could work wonders with a football, and who was arguably the EPL's best player throughout the 1990's. A bit of a lose cannon yes, but every great side needs one. Then, in Kev Keegan, a guy who Liverpool had to get Dalgish in order to replace. A brilliantly talented forward who was one of the first major British 'Superstars' along with Georgie Best. Made his name with Liverpool before having some of his best form during the 1980's with both Southampton and Newcastle. In this team, Rush would not move from the penalty box, with Keegan and Cantona interchanging behind him and pulling defenders, while also providing a potent threat themselves.

All in all, a team with talent, creativity, flair, strength, goalscoring ability, defensive know how, mavericks, superstars and masses of experience in the British game.

6,300 domestic league appearances in the UK
    29 English First Divison/EPL titles
    Numerous English Football League Hall of Famers

8. Keano88

image.jpeg

Team Chemistry off the charts...

Bonner>Aitken>McGrain>McStay ... Terry>Lampard ... Evra>Giggs ... Tevez>Aguero.

& Alexis Sanchez.

League Titles

Bonner - 1980-81, 1981-82, 1985-86, 1987-88

McGrain - 1972-73, 1973-74, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1985-86

Aitken - 1976-77, 1978-79, 1980-81, 1981-82, 1985-86, 1987-88

Terry - 2004–05, 2005–06, 2009–10, 2014–15

Evra - 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13

Giggs - 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13

Lampard - 2004–05, 2005–06, 2009–10

McStay - 1981-82, 1985-86, 1987-88

Sanchez - Plays for Arsenal

Tevez - 2007–08, 2008–09, 2011–12

Aguero - 2011–12, 2013–14

9. This Charming Man

[​IMG]

At the back we have the greatest goalkeeper to ever play in the Premier League and indeed one of the best keepers to ever play the game in Schmeichel.

In front of him we have Desailly and McGrath, two absolute rocks whose football IQ is up there with the best. Desailly went on to win Champions Leagues in other leagues while McGrath remains somewhat of an underrated figure appreciated still by the most knowledgeable figures in the game. On either side of them we have the solid figures of Baines and Zabaleta, both modern players who have proven themselves to be of real quality in recent years, consistent and reliable, they'd handle themselves with the best.

Sitting in front of the defence is one of the best players in the world right now in Kante. He looks like he's going to win the PL POTY award this season and was instrumental in Leicester's shock PL win last year, if you want to see how important he was just compare Leicester this season with Leicester last season. In front of him you have Fabregas and KDB. Fabregas will be pinging the balls out onto the wings whilst also feeding KDB in down the centre as he charges forward to link up with Dalglish.

On either side of Dalglish we have pace, skill, goals and tenacity. Just looking at all the teams that have been posted so far, not one team will be able to cope with my front 3. Hazard, Dalgish and Johnstone will be giving you all nightmares, Monaghan especially.

Quality from back to front, no real weaknesses and that's the sign of a winning team.

10. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [​IMG]

In goal I've got the man mountain Petr Cech, one of the finest to ever play between the sticks in the English game. Signed at the start of the Mourinho/Abramovich Chelsea revolution in 2004, he went from strength to strength with each passing season winning 4 titles and 4 FA Cups with the blues.

The back 3 is made up of rock solid English defenders. Keown and Campbell won trophies galore together during Arsenal's golden era at the start of the 2000s. Partnering them is the outstanding Rio Ferdinand, no stranger to a trophy himself! He won 6 titles and was named in the team of the season 6 times during his glittering career with Man Utd.

The midfield which I think is the strongest part of my team... Lightning quick Lisbon Lion Bobby Lennox plays on the left, an immense player who lit up Scottish and European football in the 60s and 70s, an absolute Celtic legend. On the right is possibly the best player ever to hail from the British isles, George Best. An iconic figure who was as lively off the pitch as he was on it. Balon D'or winner in 1968. Named in the PFA team of the century.

The middle 3 are a mix of guile, power, skill and finesse. First I've got Yaya Toure, a key figure in Man City's oil fuelled rise to prominence. He's been an ever present in their side since signing in 2010, winning 2 titles and a FA Cup in that time. Next to him is Steven Gerrard, Mr Liverpool and a shoe in for every Premier League team of the season at his peak. He is arguably the greatest Liverpool player of all time which is saying something. Rounding off the midfield is the beating heart of the Lisbon Lions, Bobby Murdoch. Murdoch won 8 titles, 5 Scottish Cups and 5 League cups in 11 years with the Hoops. Jock Stein said Murdoch was the finest player he ever managed, greater praise is hard to come by.

Up front, playing just off the main striker is Gianfranco Zola. One of Chelsea's greatest ever players. He signed for the West London side before the big money came in and as a result perhaps didn't win as many trophies as his talent deserved. Still, a haul of 2 FA Cups and a League Cup isn't bad for the man nicknamed 'the magic box'. To complete the team I've one of the most gifted finishers ever to play in England... Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Ruud scored an absolute * tonne of goals in his 5 years at Man Utd, breaking the 20 league goal mark in all but one season (which he was injured for most of). An oustanding player who'd feast on the chances created by Zola, Best, Lennox et al

11. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    [​IMG]

Clemence- 5 first division titles

Gary Neville
    8- Prems
    5- PFA team of year
    Pfa team of decade

Hansen-
    8 first division titles

Thompson
    1 massive * nose
    7 first division titles

Dennis Irwin
    7 premier league titles
    2 PFA team of year
    PFA team of century

Neil Lennon
    5 Scottish Prems

Damian Duff
    2 prems
    PFA team of year

John Barnes
    2 prems
    2 FWA player of year
    1 PFA player of year
    PFA team of century
    3 PFA team of year

Wayne Rooney
    5 premier leagues
    PFA player of year
    2 PFA young player of year
    2 PFA fans player of year
    3 PFA team of year
    FWA footballer of year
    Best premier league goal ever
    All time record goal scorer in domestic comps for United

Jimmy Greaves
    * loads of goals

Theiry Henry (*)
    2 prems
    2PFA player of year (Only guy ever to win it two years on bounce, up the ra)
    6 PFA team of year
    PFA team of century
    3 FWA footballer of year
    4 Golden boots

* no * beating all that

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  12. Mr. Slippyfist

http://sharemytactics.com/87623/

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

4-4-2 (slight deviation).

Team speaks for itself really, excellent blend of strength and flair.

Edwin Van Der Saar - couldn't have asked for a more solid, reliable guy between the sticks - better player than Schmeicel (imo), plus the only guy ever really capable of replacing him in the Utd goalmouth. Incredible goalkeeper wherever he went.

Solid spine, especially in defence - The Enforcer in Sami Hyypia, complimented wonderfully with the master reader of the game Ricardo Carvalho.

Claude Makelele - the man who pretty much redefined the modern holding midfielder role allows the incredibly gifted magician Okocha to do his thing.

Full backs are two of Liverpool's hardest: Riise with the rocket foot, and THE most decorated player in Liverpool's history, Phil Neal.

Di Canio basically gets a free role out in the LW to do whatever he wants to do, Agathe does all the dirty work on the right, putting in some sublime crosses for the most aerially and physically-dominant forward line up out of all teams in this draft.

Alan Shearer - EPL all-time top goalscorer needs no further information, complimented by Didier Drogba, who also needs no introduction.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    All teams are posted. PM me your votes. :50:

14. Keano88

Will vote tonight at some point.

Shower > Eat > Vote

Callum McGregor likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Some strong teams too.

16. Keano88

Surprised this lad wasn't taken.

[​IMG]

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I thought about Tony Yeboah

18. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'll vote after the game

19. Mr. Slippyfist

Hardly done much in UK fitba though, apart from a few wonder goals.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    1st set of votes In!