1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alien Covenant

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by TESLA, Feb 6, 2017.

Discuss Alien Covenant in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Didn't know that the aliens were glaswegians.
    Love it giving the ship a glesga kiss. :84:

Bumblebee likes this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't really like sci-fi movies.

Man of Steel & Edge of Tomorrow are two off the top of my head that I can think of. The latest Star Trek is one of the best blockbusters I've seen in years. Blade Runner as well.

Like pretty much any decent horror movie. Conjuring franchise, Halloween franchise, Hush, Don't Breath...

Just thought Alien was so boring.

3. Bumblebee

I have just seen 10 minutes of footage that was leaked online and WOW! One thing I noted is that the soundtrack near the beginning of the clip is very similar to what you would get in a 1970's sci fi movie which is excellent absolutely mirrors ALIEN.

I may have said 10 minutes of footage (as it is no longer online as far as I'm aware).....

4. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Cannot wait for this. I've even managed to get through till now without seeing a single trailer for the movie - imax tickets purchased for next weekend.

The time line is interesting as Scott said this will be the the 3rd part of the Prometheus trilogy, not the second as you would have thought

5. Matt_20

Anyone seen it? I thought it was disappointing. It had some good stuff in it, and Fassbender is amazing as always, but they made the exact same mistake as Prometheus and had characters make stupid decisions to advance the plot far too often. I also think Kermode's review is spot on as like him I went in desperately wanting to love it.

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Listened to his review of it yesterday. I thought the trailer was very average so I'm not surprised with the reviews so far.

Think people were way overhyping it.

7. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    But what does Tony Watt think of it tho? THATS WATT MATTERS!!!!!

Callum McGregor, Artorias and Matt_20 like this.
  8. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Going to the Imax in glasgow tonight to catch this. Can't wait!

9. Bumblebee

I hope
    Ridley Scott hasn't abandoned the engineers Prometheus was a far more interesting movie as he said the Alien was cooked with an orange in its mouth yet here we have this movie and its just the same naff thing again, really disappointed the engineers weren't in it. I think there is to be two more movies? so it still remains to be seen whether the Engineers are out completely. I really disliked the idea of David creating the Xenomorph I hope that its just the Xeno in this movie and not the Alien we seen in Alien and so on.

I kind of feel now that I couldn't care less about Prometheus even though I liked it but b the looks of it it has been abandoned slightly maybe? And Alien Covenant did just feel like a modern block buster you'll never get an Alien film like the original again its impossible modern movie audiences want instant gratification.

10. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Didnt really like alien.Didnt find it scary.Loved the more action oriented sequel though.

11. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Well I'd say this is definitely worth a watch. Scott delivered the first that people asked for in my opinion. The film had all the science of Prometheus but added more Alien action. Was also cool to see Danny McBride play a more serious role too.

I'm still confused by where this falls in the time line - I mean I know this film is technically the third installment after Prometheus. I just don't know why Scott went in this sequence.

12. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    I loved it and its definetly a set up for the next film in line, david created his own strain of xenomorph but not the species because in prometheus they have a mural towards a xenomorph looking creature.

[​IMG]

* knows where they will take it, they still have to explain why there were engineer bodies piled up on the prometheus planet, I reckon that the one they landed on in Covenant isnt the only engineer planet.

13. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

It kind of did, you need to think back to Prometheus - remember when they awoken the engineer and it went full tonto on the Prometheus crew? Haha i also think it plays in part to the opening scene of the movie when Wayland tells David that he is his father but is very cold towards David which does help explain his attitude towards humans.

As for the rest, we can only guess. He did have months/years to wander about the stolen Alien ship from Prometheus. Maybe he learned more about their history - remember the Engineers did store that black goo stuff to use as a weapon. Or alternatively, he was * bent on making his own perfect race and that's why he purged the planet?

As you say it's speculation at this point. Hopefully Prometheus 2 fills in the blanks there.

As a side note, if Covenant is the last film before Alien, I'm not quite sure how they lead I to each other.

14. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

I thought it was decent. Better than Prometheus but still left us with questions "What is the black goo, and where did it come from?".

Crew were frustrating to watch, are idiots intentionally hired to preserve and colonise the future of the human race? Hmm...

Some nod's to the other movies which seem rather un-original. The most interesting part is probably David. Fassbender definitely carries the movie.

Overall a good watch. People need to accept they aren't going to get an Alien & Aliens quality prologue. Lower expectation's required, especially if you want the answer's spoon fed to you.

15. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Yous should subscribe to Mr H on YouTube his videos explain the whole alien universe to a T. * hot

16. stew37

Thought it was awright, bit disappointing though. I've watched the first, second and third ones numerous times, but not in a hurry to watch Prometheus or this one again.

17. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Link? I'd watch this .

18. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones