1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Aden Flint

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by lemon difficult, Aug 30, 2017.

Discuss Aden Flint in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

No, but funny :57:

2. markeyboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I've seen him quite a lot as was linked with Sunderland.

Loads of people are turning their nose up at him purely going by his very modest lower league CV and if some are being honest, they probably haven't seen him to judge too much (Not been a * when I say that). Sometimes, that doesn't always mean they're *, it just means they've took the hard way to the top and often that means they're streetwise. Look at Vardy for example. I know that's a different comparison but we shouldn't be too put off by his lack of top level experience. There's some hidden gems at Championship level - Even league 1.

I'll provide some insight based on watching him about 7/8 times over the past 6-8 months. Please feel free to take it or leave it :60:

He's a big towering defender (Obviously considering his size) :56:who has great strength and wins 8/10 headers in the air. Not the quickest, I'd say slow, but uses his intelligence to make sure that's rarely exposed by good positional sense. Guy is very similar to Boyata in terms of chipping in with goals from corners too. Really meets the ball with neck muscles and dominates in the air, both defensively and offensively.

Fairly comfortable with the ball at his feet but is very much a 'No nonesense - kick the ball 30 yards out of touch if there's danger' type. Doesn't take many chances in possession and overall is just a big * old-school style defender. Every time I've watched him he looks strong and hasn't put a foot wrong. I may have just been lucky seeing him good 7/8 times I've watched him but I doubt it.

I'd say he's similar to McManus, very similar although hopefully better. Isn't going to bring the ball out like Boyata/Jozo but just keeps it simple.

I must admit I was hoping for a more 'Wow' factor but if he's been brought in to cover in defence I've got no qualms about that. Sometimes having two ball playing defenders upsets the balance and having a defender comfortable to bring it out (Jozo) and having one that will cover and keep it simple works well.

I know it's a very underwhelming signing on paper but could be a cracking little find. Still desperately wanted a top level defender to partner Jozo for the Champions League. But, Boyata - Jozo partnership with Flint and Erik covering hopefully will be 'Okay' ???? Surely? Hopefully? :fear:

I'd think he'd be absolutely great SPL level and would dominate at the back for us. In Europe though? I'm not so sure...No idea.

Probably just bullshit anyway in which case I've spent 10 minutes typing this out for nothing! :56:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    ^^ ^^
    Cheers for that, i trust at least, it's the most honest you could've been. :50:

markeyboy likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Exactly how I imagined him to be.

Not the type we need.

5. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Right noo, i'll take jist' aboot any hunskelper.
    But i feel CL quality is what we'll really need to have any chance.

Cannae just depend and hope to out score who we're coming up against.
    Defending in these group stage games is gonna' be a big ask and key for us.

6. celts67

Bristol City defender Aden Flint had a season to remember in 2014/15. The centre-half scored 15 goals in the club's double-winning campaign, as well as claiming the Fans' Outstanding Player of the Season award, and was also named in the PFA Team of the Season.

paulie67 likes this.
  7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    £5m?????? Ffs, we could buy Bristol C and their stadium for that.

8. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

their celebrations are a bit over the top :90:

9. markeyboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    No problem mate.

I reckon he could make Neymar his * at Celtic Park....Imagine this lad and Neymar 'competing' for the ball in the air :rip_1:.... That alone is worth the punt. If he's * we'll just sell him on for a loss and embrace the fact he's only memory as a Celtic player was to break Neymar's nose resulting in 16 stitches.

:party048:

Nah seriously though you've every right to question his credentials to play for us. It's a massive step up - Especially the prospect of tossing him in the deep end in the hardest stage of them all - Champions League.

I rate him and think under BR we'd have a new 'Bobo Balde' type (Potentially) with limited ability, but the heart of a lion and a general nightmare to play against.

That's my positive thinking anyway.

paulie67 likes this.
  10. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    ffs... some o' they goals are class. :50:
    Head, feet, volley fae outside the box on the turn, back heals.

I would liked to have see some defending that he did though.
    No taking away from it... you might say opposing team didn't defend great, but those goals. :)

I would take a punt on him if... he can defend as well as he scores.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    celts67 likes this.
  11. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Going by that, I'd take him honestly..

12. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Going by the reports this guy seems a solid defender. Also judging by reports he does not seem like a Rodgers signing.

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Will need to trust the likes of Markeybhoy and brendan, and I'm happy to do so.

My only concern is the price someone mentioned at 5mill!? I dare wonder if we would get better bang for our buck looking elsewhere, again thinking the price we paid for virgil and jozo and I would like to see that next sort of player. Due to flint age and fees being over the top in England, I'd worry if he would actually be better than we have in Erik and even ajer.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

markeyboy likes this.
  14. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    True, true...

But the way BR wants to play can be taught(to an extent) and worked on.
    He's a bit mature to start playing a different way, but well you never know.

15. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

Yup I would agree with that. Brendan likes players that he can mould. Also the guys a wee bit of a poser wouldn't you say :56:

paulie67 likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Credit where it is due, Gordon has managed it reasonably well. He still isn't good enough for me, but he has developed his game extremely well all things considered.

This one seems like almost a short term solution till ajer steps it up a little more.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

paulie67 likes this.
  17. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Difference is though, this guy already plays with his feet. :)

Peej likes this.
  18. markeyboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Well you can trust me mate but not sure about Rodgers mind... :smoke:

Never thought me and Brendan would be put in the same sentence :50: You've made my day! :36:

I know what you're saying about 5m but in today's silly market - To get a defender who is in very good form for his club (And has won many awards such as player of the year recently etc) and also, at 28 it's the prime year for a defender - Taking that into consideration 5m seems acceptable (Although personally I think 3m is more reasonable).

I like the guy and having someone so powerful back there is something we've missed. Big Maj (Swedish guy we had a few years ago) was a big unit but was, well let's be kind and say 'Average'.

I do think this player totally goes against BR's philosophy of wanting to keep the ball and play football etc - So that's why I have doubts over this rumour. Like someone said earlier, it doesn't seem a typical Rodgers signing.

I'd be happy to see him come in. Ideally, with another defender with a higher pedigree although I think I'm being far too optimistic. For me, I can't see us signing 2 CB's as then we've had Ajer, Boyata, Jozo, Erik + 2 new players. Unless Erik is sold tonight, contrary to reports he is staying put.

We'll see.

Peej likes this.
  19. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They've came into money recently. Signed a few international players. They got a guy called Diedhiou who was expected to go to a 'bigger' club.

20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Not Happening Close thread!