1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Adam Matthews

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by AJ Styles, Jul 2, 2015.

Discuss Adam Matthews in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Lustig and Matthews were good as they were rarely injured at the same time, we've moved on from Matthews, I wish him well

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  3. Grimm You belong to me!

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Thomson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Yep, Hooper was the same, where's he now still at Wednesday? No chance of winning anything, never play in the CL ever again etc. etc. Must be sittin in their hooses every night, Looking at their medals wi nae chance of adding to them.

Smithy likes this.
  4. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Lustig's the better RB, no doubt in my mind. But I like Matthews, brought pace and aggression. Unfortunate to see his career in a tailspin, although with his comments after leaving, he maybe had karma coming.

5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Agression?

Matthews was a complete shitebag. The amount of tackles he pulled out of was disgraceful for a defender.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  6. LoveTheTic88

2011-15 Matthews made 150 appearances for Celtic.

Since leaving he's made just 2 appearances for Sunderland and 22 appearances on loan at Bristol City.

His last international cap was in March 2016, a friendly against Northern Ireland.

Safe to say the best days of his career were at Celtic.

7. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Didn't watch as many games then as I do now, but anytime I watched him I don't remember him being a * when up against the opposition.

I usually found him hard pressing and quick to get on his man, althought I don't remember him being the greatest defender ever. As I said before, Lustig was and is still the better player, no question.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He had a lot of potential at one point.

I was delighted and excited when we signed him. As I said on the previous page though the way he left us annoyed me.

Chased the EPL dream and it * him. The comment about it helping him with Wales was hilarious as well considering there were championship and even league one players getting into their squad at the time, and there still are.

It wasn't Celtic that was stopping him getting into the side, it was his own form.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Which has been the case for all but the very best for years. And even then they'll still tell you some of the best times in their career were spent here.

You could really only say Henrik went onto win more in front of the same volume of fans. Even the likes of Vic, Stan and VVD (to date) haven't really moved on to greater success. They're playing/played regularly in a better league but you don't get winners medals for just playing somewhere.

LoveTheTic88 likes this.
  10. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Bit of an enigma. Absolutely brilliant against Barca but I can remember him being * couple of times against the manky mob!

11. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I think Wanyama, Petrov and Van Dijk would disagree with you.

While they haven't won the medals they would have done here, they've improved as players, enhanced their reputation, enhanced their bank balance and still played European football. Wanyama is playing for a side capable of challenging for the title, and it won't be long before Van Dijk moves up another level, too.

The guys playing in the Championship for smaller clubs - they're the ones who may regret leaving. Though that League is certainly still more lucrative and competitive than our own, I can't imagine it's as satisfying as playing in the Champions League, winning titles and walking out for a Cup final.

12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    A few players went on to good success Macari, Dalglish, McClair, MacLeod, Mo Johnston, John Collins, Van Hooijdink, Di Canio, Stubbs, Viduka, Larsson, Petrov, Forster, Wanyama, Van Dijk.

Some probably regret they left Davie Hay, Charlie Nicholas, McAvennie, Paul Elliott, Cadete, Vega, Maloney, McGeady, Boruc, Hooper, Ledley, Kelvin Wilson, Matthews.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

When your career is over the thing that should matter the most to any footballer should be winners medals and success. At this point VVD and Vic have won nothing.

I say should because I'm well aware of how distorted modern football and footballers are from what really matters whilst they chase the money.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hooper has really * his career.

15. TimFloyd Gold Member

He was good for a while then I seem to remember just stalled and actually regressed somewhat as a player.

My memory is sketchy at the best of times but I seem to remember away at AC Milan, everything was going to him he was finding so much space but for the entire 90 mins he couldn't cross a ball to save his live.

Saul Goodman and Valhalla like this.
  16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sure they'll be upset sitting in there mansion, while crying driving their new super car down to the local steak house to eat a cheaply bought £200 wagu steak.

I do agree though, I'd rather a medal room filled with pictures and swapped tops with Messi etc on the wall while boring the grandkids to sleep with stories of how celtic battled the world's best and took them down.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I never once suggested they're regretting doubling their wage.

I'm saying if folk are suggesting VVD and Vic have went on to better things by earning more money and playing in a better league then maybe those people suggesting that have their priorities distorted as much as modern footballers do.

Ask Henrik Larsson about this very issue and you'll see, what should be, the right answer.

18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Totally agree with this.

I hate the argument that they could have a short career so need to make x amount of money. Bollocks. They have a ridiculous amount of free time to gain some qualifications, and also with all that money could plan for retirement better etc.

In the grand scheme of things, there is no excuse for a footballer not to be able to move into a "regular" job that the layman has when they hang up their boots. Yep, their lifestyle may change, but such is life.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think larson can be used as an example. Didn't we make him the top paid player in the UK at the time. Possibly Roy Keane was on more and that was it.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You don't think Henrik Larsson can be used as an example of a player that stayed at a club to win things and play in front of a fanatical support when more money in better leagues was available?

There isn't a better example available almost in world football.