1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Lyonniste, Jun 7, 2019.

Discuss 2019 Women's World Cup in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Really? What parts or just anything that involves a woman?
    You can’t tell me some of the women you have seen have excellent first touches, ball control and finishing? Some of them have better first touch than players plying their trade at the top of the men’s game.
    But it’s unfair to compare them directly even though it does happen in other sports also - tennis being a prime example.
    Women tennis players are seen as inferior because they serve at 40mph less, don’t hit as hard and can’t covert the court as quick - yet technically they could and can play the same shots and have just as quick of a ‘tennis brain’.

It doesn’t and shouldn’t mean they are any less of a tennis player or footballer.
    It’s just different because of the physicality of the sexes.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah it's been a good watch.

Maybe you don't find it entertaining but I'm certainly not pretending to be entertained. There's been several good matches to watch.

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  3. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Some ‘men’ just plain refuse to give women credit for anything.
    * being their wife or daughter.

Maybe it makes them feel less of a man if they consider a woman to be equal?

PorchBhoy67 likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd pay to see that last one. Bras are a scourge on the nation. Nae cold weather nips, no more "* wheres your * gone!?!?" Moments. Just pure wobbly fun. #BANTHEBRA

5. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Yes, it's just that I hate women so much.
    -There may be a few who have a comparable level of control and touch to a man but from what I have seen not that many.
    -Most of the goalies are *.

6. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Haha state of you.

7. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

The standard of football is a lot poorer and it's generally a lot slower, as you would expect.

There have been some entertaining enough games though. Farcical VAR decisions aside I don't think it's done women's football any harm.

8. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    'Just Pure Wobbly Fun'. Laughing my * off at that comment mate, SUPERB.

9. Murph-E

* all funding, * all media coverage and * all encouragement given to the women's game for decades. But now they're getting some, it's a bad thing and everyone is trying too hard and forcing it and it's terrible.

Like English football fans talking about Scottish football.

10. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Good to see someone is in touch with their feminine side.

11. Onefootwonder

The BBC have been heavily pushing the Women's game for a few years.

There is little money to be made in the men's game, so who would risk putting lots of money into it? We've got to get a good run in Europe or sell our best players to balance the books.

Reading up about the attendances for female football they have actually been in decline. The USA team have lost half of their support since their last world cup win.

The top tier English game averages less than 1000 fans and that's when season tickets can cost less than one men's game. The attendances in Europe are worse. Some top teams are less than 500 fans.

Would you give up your Saturday watching Celtic to go watch a women's game?

If you've got Liverpool, Man City, Barcelona, Bayern....... playing live on the tv on Sky or BT Sports, would you subscribe to another channel and tune in to watch the ladies?

Where are they going to find their market?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  12. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Rather be in touch with my feminine side than come on the internet trying to pretend to be Bernard Manning.
    Yer patter/persona is horrific is mate. Actual cringey pish.
    When you bring anything to any thread that isn’t an appalling attempt at some sexist joke come back and get involved in a real discussion.

13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    They won't because there is no where near the interest in it. The World Cup there will probably help ecourage some lassies to take up the game.
    It would help as well if in our schools the lassies got to play football- like in the US. I don't know if it is the same as when I was at school 15years ago but the girls weren't even allowed to play football. They were usually forced to play netball and to be honest a lot of the lassies would pull sickies constantly and no be interested in doing P.E at all.
    I think most lassies have very little interest in playing so the pool of talent is going to be less.

14. Murph-E

11.7mil people watched their Semi Final last night, indicates there is some interest there. Most watched show on any channel any night so far on UK television in 2019. It'll never match the men's, but no need to completely dismiss it imo. BBC promoting it a couple of times a year for less than a handful of years won't change much, certainly not immediately, and doesn't mean it should be constantly criticised.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If there's coverage, people will watch it.

16. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Yes that is because it is the world cup and is between two of the bigger teams whose countries have a deep history with one another. It is the all year round interest that is lacking. Do you mean constant criticism from on this site? I don't think there has been much.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The standard is poor overall but some of the team's have been technically decent. The US, France and Germany have looked good at time's..

The tournament has been fairly enjoyable..

18. Onefootwonder

Big games at Wimbledon have commanded similar tv viewing figures. Smaller games get tiny viewing figures. When it comes to other grand slams even the demand for them is so low they drop off to the sub-channels.

For two weeks a year every kid is running around with a tennis a racket. It's then forgotten about.

Go back to the Olympics in London. It broke all tv records in the UK with 90% of the UK audience tuning in with peak audiences of over 27m.

Outside the huge events athletic stadiums are empty and it isn't even newsworthy.

It will be interesting to see how it grows, but how they will manage to grow crowds by 10-20× and ask people for good money I don't know.

A lot of the world cup games struggled with crowds. Scotland v England was only 12,000 and tickets are cheap at €9. Some of the games the crowd has been nowhere near the given figure.

Watching on tv is one thing, but converting that into people putting their hand in their pocket is a different matter.

Artorias likes this.
  19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I think it was alright the standard, obviously partly as the pitch is big and they are smaller and slower so theres a lot more space and time, they also dont hit the ball as hard so the ball generally stays in play wherever they kick it so the passing and their control doesn't look too bad.

I think it would benefit by having a smaller pitch and smaller goals, it would make it seem faster and more like normal football plus the keeper need smaller goals and they're just too wee for full sized goals. Too many of the goals would be saved if the keepers were bigger or goals smaller, poor goals that make it look bad.

Only thing is a smaller pitch may make poorer control and passing stand out more but over time they'd probably improve more by learning to control the ball better in tighter areas when now they can afford to be slack.

Artorias likes this.
  20. Onefootwonder

Basically the vast majority of tv supporters are a fickled bunch of glory hunters. Sheep following the sheep and influenced to join in..

People are heros when they're winning on the tv and forgotten about afterwards.