1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 World Cup Of Hockey

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by CalgaryBhoy, Sep 10, 2016.

Discuss 2016 World Cup Of Hockey in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    For all you on here who may not be into the sport or pay much attention to hockey or the NHL, this month would be a good time to get started. This is an NHL organized event being competed for a couple weeks between numerous top hockey nations as well as players representing Europe and the top U-23 players of Canada and the USA (Team North America).

Big upside to this tournament is you get best vs best international teams, combined with NHL rules and aggression (i.e hitting and fighting not as dulled as you'd see in the Olympics under IIHF rules). If you get a chance to watch, I'd highly reccomend it.

Go Canada Go... :50:

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Which of the European countries have the strongest team?

3. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Personally I'd say Sweden has the best team overall. Russia is easily the most talented skill-wise, but very often in international competition will over-play the game (try to do too much and crumble defensively). Finland's solid defensively and has great goaltending. Sweden has a solid mix of everything, great structure. I think Czech Republic will struggle, as will Team Europe. Team Europe is the best players not playing in the countries I listed, mostly from Slovakia. Experienced but slow, and not too much talent up front.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2016
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thanks for that. I tried watching some NHL when I was working in America, the puck was too small to see on the screen tbh.

5. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Team Europe on the verge of upsetting the US in the first game of the tournament. 3-0 in the 3rd period, goals from Bellemare (France), Gaborik (Slovakia), and Draisaitl (Germany).

Each team plays a game against each of the teams in their group, 3 in total to try and finish in the top 2 and advance to the semi-finals, so any loss could be devastating to a teams chances of advancing.

6. themouth1888

Team USA beat down by Europe! USA have the players but very sloppy on D and gave away too many odd man rushes. Also Jaro Halak played well (I'm an Isles fan).

Shame they couldn't have more afternoon games so I can watch more games live.

7. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Canada vs Czech Republic coming up

8. themouth1888

lol Team Canada is just crazy how good it should be!

John Tavares is a 4th liner :smiley-laughing002:

9. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    #lolcanadawins :bbpd:

10. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Canada destroyed the Czech's 6-0. My boy Patrice Bergeron playing with Crosby and his Bruins linemate Marchand, best line in the tournament so far. Team North America playing Finland, as well as Russia playing Sweden. Both should be terrific games to watch, well matched teams.

11. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Sweden beats Russia 2-1. Ovechkin scored late and almost added his 2nd within the last minute with 9 seconds left, was ruled that he batted it in with his hand, tight call. Finland vs NA should be a great game.

12. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Wow, the young guns keep up their momentum. Team North America destroys Finland 4-1.
    Pekka Rinne looked awful in net, but I'm really surprised Finland got dismantled so bad. A good mix and skill and experience in that team, NA were still all over them.

13. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Wow, Team Europe beats Czech Republic 2-1 in OT. The team everyone (including myself) thought were too old and slow are coming alive when it matters. Czech Republic is essentially done now.

14. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Russia beats North America 4-3. Best game of the tournament by far, Team North America down 4-1 going into the 3rd and almost tie it up late. Gostisbhere hit the post and Gaudreau missed an open net. Canada vs USA tomorrow, massive game. The intesity will be incredible.

15. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

what time is the canada vs usa game tomorrow pal?

16. Farmer

Interested to see how NA and Europe fair in this tournament.

17. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Sweden beats Finland 2-0. Both Lundqvist and Rask played exceptional in net, Finland just doesn't have the firepower it seems. Canada vs US on next, 5:30 pm mountain time, 12:30am in Scotland :50:

18. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Interesting fact with big ties to football. Ralph Kreuger, coach of Team Europe is also the chairman of Southampton FC. He's formerly a coach from Switzerland, Austria, and briefly in the NHL with the Edmonton Oilers. Was appointed at Southampton in 2012 I believe, has said that he's been juggling his priorities throughout the tournament between teams. Nice guy as well.

19. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Canada brushes aside USA 4-2. Dissapointing game tbh. US scores early, Canada responds with 2 quick ones and it looks like it's gonna be a great contest. Nope. It was essentially Celtic vs Rangers 5-1, one way hockey, US couldn't get anything going and Canada sat back for the 3rd period letting in a sloppy goal late.

Team USA looked disinterested and lazy, not sure what was going on but yet another dissapointing result for them in international hockey. Canada plays Team Europe tomorrow for top spot in group A. Both teams are guaranteed a spot in the semi finals. USA will play Czech Republic in their final game, battle for last place. Remaining teams vying for a spot in the semi's are Russia, Sweden, NA, and Finland (although they need alot of help).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
  20. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    So wait, the World Cup of hockey is completely unrelated to the World Championships?

[​IMG]