1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2015 General Election Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Ledleysleftfoot, Feb 21, 2014.

Discuss 2015 General Election Discussion Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
  2. Sween

I think the distinction is between London and the South East with everywhere north of Oxford, rather than a Scotland v England thing. I think as regards welfare, we have differing opinions because people in London and the South East are typically net contributors and people North of there typically get more than they pay in. But again that isn't a Scotland thing, but rather something that you would likely see in any country where some areas contributes more than others.

Immigration I am not so sure about. I don't think Scottish towns and cities havent been impacted to the same extent as places like London, Birmingham, or Nottingham. I don't think there is something inherent in Scots that mean they like immigration more, I just think they haven't felt the impact as much and therefore isn't as much as issue.

3. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Agree with this, Scotland had not had the same level of immigration as the south of England has experienced in the last ten to fifteen years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    On the back of odds been mentioned in the Scottish Independance thread I just checked the odds on the party to get most votes at the next election. Bet 365 are offering 4-6 Labour and Paddy Power 2-1 on the Tories so in theory ( if you have the spare cash) you can back both and make 6.67%

5. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    You sure about the 2/1 mate?

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  7. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    That looks right, but i cant find the market which offers 2/1 on the actual PP site!

The closest i can find is which party will win the most seats, for which the Tories are 5/4......which is about standard.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  8. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Yes sorry.I've done the same MGM and tried oddschecker etc but can't find the odds. Best Betting is usually pretty reliable and I use it all the time to check the odds on the Soccer. I will keep looking and if I find the odds I will let you know.

9. Markybhoy

Even if the Tories were 10/1 to win the next election I'm not sure I could put money on it. The feeling of one tiny fibre of my being feeling pleasure at a Tory win would just be wrong. It's like the Independence referendum, I am almost certain the No campaign is going to win but there's no way I am putting money on it. I will be in serious mourning if we don't go for Independence and even if betting on that outcome is like buying money I just can't bring myself to do it.

10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    i wont vote tory, labour or lib dems.

11. lazyregula

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing!
    hm, Hard one because its basically a choice between, lib dems, labour or tories in a UK general election! so if we get a YES vote i wont be voting in the general Election. if no vote i would vote labour, but wouldnt vote for any of them in a Scottish Election.

12. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Which is in part, how the nats got in! The turnout was low and others did the same as yourself.

In saying that, in Joanna Lamont, they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  13. lazyregula

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing!
    Aw sorry i worded that wrong, i just meant i wouldnt vote for labour, tories or lib dems in a scottish election, i do vote, but i vote on the issues at the time dont have a specific party! :smiley-laughing002:

14. Ledleysleftfoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic song!
    I think the only way Labour can govern is by a majority or minority of their own accord. Having seen Clegg in PMQ's last week, the guy can't stand Labour, and quite frankly they don't have much time for him either. Who else might enter a Labour led coalition? UKIP? Definitely not. Greens? Possibly, but will they have enough seats to make a difference?

Even if the Liberals agreed to a coalition with Labour, could Labour really, after consistenly slaughtering the currently coalition for years, then jump straight into their own coalition with the Liberals?

15. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I'm stuck really, I'd much rather Labour in than Tory, and the only way Labour can get in is with the support of Scotland.

At the same time I'm desperate for a laughing fit when seeing their faces when Scotland finally gives them the middle finger.

16. Vertie Auld

I won't be voting in it either way. Hopefully, it'll be because I'm waiting to elect a Scottish government in 2016.

17. Vertie Auld

Westminster's a * shame. You'd be as well pulling a party out of a hat or voting for your favourite colour because the three main parties are a close as two coats of paint. Nothing will change anyway.

18. Sween

The Tories may or may not be successful in running the economy and balancing their numbers. Labour will not be successful in balancing their books - nearly certain if history is to go by.

To me that is the big difference.

19. Dáibhí

Honestly, I wouldn't get out my bed to vote in a general election if they put the ballot box at the end of my bedroom.

20. Sween

What if they start 'taxing' your bedroom :86: