1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2013/14 Champions League Qualification

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by RoarBhoy, Jan 28, 2013.

Discuss 2013/14 Champions League Qualification in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

4 points from the next 2 games I reckon, maybe even six.

2. VerdeBlanco

I honestly don't think so. They will play the same way as they did at CP and so will we.

I think we are the better team, I saw nothing from Ajax last night to be afraid of. They were toothless.

I know it won't be the team talk, but we really should be going over their looking for 3 points.

3. ynwa1987

Yea we should definetely be looking for the 3 points over there.

In terms of performance ive seen us play better in the CL and walk away with nothing.

We could have kept the ball better and didn't look like scoring from open play, but the 3 points was the main thing.

I don't think Ajax were as bad as some people were making out I think we just contained them very well.

As long as we don't lose over there I think we've got a decent chance if going through.

4. JayM

I want to win in Amsterdam and set up a decider against Milan at Parkhead. Would be an incredible night, and I think Celtic could do it.

5. ronan1888

We do need to beat Ajax away, otherwise a win against Milan BY TWO CLEAR GOALS, AND a draw against Barca is needed. Or wins against Milan and Barca

6. ronan1888

9 points total will be necessary, so a win against ajax is a must.

7. SpellCheck92

Ajax were much more comfortable in possession than we were. They created more chances than us but like you said they were toothless. However I can't see them passing up they sort of chances in Amsterdam. We will have to put in a different type of performance if we want to take anything from that game.

8. SpellCheck92

Yeah if we win our next two games it should guarantee us a place in the last 16 as you would expect Barcelona to beat Milan in the Nou Camp. The more realistic target would be 7 points. Even then we would still have a chance. Ajax are playing for 3rd spot now.

9. Cathairbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joe Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A draw could do against Ajax, and a 1-0 win over Milan. Milan just have to slip up against Ajax at home for that to work. A slightly realistic scenario sees us on 7 points and Milan on 6.

10. cammy07

We're a different team away from home under Lenny, so I'm confident of taking something from the Ajax game. They're obviously a good side with the ball, but they looked toothless. I honestly think we can beat them. If we do then that swings the group wide open.

11. ynwa1987

Is that not assuming that Milan beat Ajax though?

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We need to beat Ajax away. We need to be clinical, no sloppyness.

13. ronan1888

Absolutely, so there is a chance of something happening there, but I'm making that assumption.

14. LoveTheTic88

Celtic's midfielder's and forward's total gametime in CL proper, goals and assists since joining:

Midfielder's
    Scott Brown - 1785 minutes, 21 apps, 21 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists.
    Charlie Mulgrew - 1007 minutes, 12 apps, 12 starts, 0 goals, 3 assists.
    Beram Kayal - 412 minutes, 9 apps, 4 starts, 1 goal, 0 assists.
    Joe Ledley - 401 minutes, 8 apps, 4 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists.
    Nir Biton - 16 minutes, 2 apps, 0 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists.

A total of;
    3621 minutes played, 52 apps, 41 starts, 1 goal and 3 assists between our 5 central midfielder's at Champions League proper level.

Forward's
    Georgios Samaras - 1241 minutes, 16 apps, 14 starts, 3 goals, 3 assists.
    Kris Commons - 800 minutes, 11 apps, 9 starts, 1 goal, 0 assists.
    James Forrest - 488 minutes, 8 apps, 4 starts, 1 goal, 1 assist.
    Anthony Stokes - 321 minutes, 4 apps, 4 starts 0 goals 1 assist.
    Teemu Pukki - 118 minutes, 4 apps, 1 start, 0 goals, 0 assists.
    Derk Boerrighter - 34 minutes, 2 apps, 0 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists.
    Amido Balde - 1 minute, 1 app, 0 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists.

A total of;
    3003 minutes played, 46 apps, 32 starts, 5 goals and 5 assists between our 7 forward's at Champions League proper level.

15. Heisenberg

surely milan are for the taking at celtic park, drew tonight, been absolutely * recently. If we beat them at least we get europa league football.

16. Roskopicachu

Well we have to keep on turning teams over until the Milan game and get a head of steam going and go into that match all guns blazing and try and get the first goal, then the second. Then park the bus.

17. Vertie Auld

For Celtic. Derk and Teemu have goals & assists at this level, I'm sure.

18. Lavelle88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We onlt get Europa by beating Milan if Barca beat Ajax on the same night.

Even 1 point for Ajax would mean that if Ajax and Milan draw in their final match then we would finish bottom on head-to-head if we lose our last match at the Nou Camp.

We need Barca to turn them over again and for us to beat Milan convincingly.

If we match their result and beat them 2-0 then our head-to-head with Milan is the same and then it comes down to GD at the end of it all.

Europa after xmas would be a treat.

Our co-efficient points need a real boost this season if we are to hope to be a 3rd seed in next season's CL.

We could go onto the QF's in the Europa or maybe more and from the last 32 to that point that is potentially 4 wins for Celtic or more.

If we can end our season with about 20 co-efficient points (we got 16 last year) then we would surely be in for a better CL draw.

19. Jhoker

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes has been ruled out for six weeks with a calf injury.
    The 31-year-old was injured playing as a half-time substitute for Spain in a 1-0 defeat in South Africa and had to be replaced by Pepe Reina.
    He will miss eight games, including the Champions League tie with Celtic, unless he suffers a setback.
    Jose Manuel Pinto, 38, is likely to replace Valdes although he has not played since February.
    Valdes has already announced this season will be his last at Barcelona after 12 years in the first team.
    Barca are top of the Spanish league and already into the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Do you think this is good or bad for us ?

20. Celticbhoy111

Pinto is * thats defo great news