1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

2013/14 Champions League Qualification

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by RoarBhoy, Jan 28, 2013.

Discuss 2013/14 Champions League Qualification in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Sorry if it's been asked but does anyone know the ticket situation for non season ticket holders?

2. evilp3te

Feel from the end of the transfer market theres been a lot of negativity over the strength of our team, now that our spine of the team has gone. While I agree that those players were our best players in those positions, I do feel we have replaced them with just as good players, although I was an avid follower of the finnbogoson thread and have finally got over the devastation of him not signing. However, my only concern is the lack of time for our new players to gel into the current team.

I think its one thing to have a player who can stand out and can make the difference but I think its more important to have a bunch of good players who know each others qualities and know exactly what to expect of each other.

Our team last year had this, along with some good luck and hard work we excelled as a team.

So when I go over the transfers we have made I really feel we have a better team although we are at a very early stage for this team as a unit to do what we done last year.

Hooper/Watt out - Balde and Pukki in - Balde was the target man we all asked for, although not quite ready just yet, is potentially a serious handful for any defence in europe. Pukki has some real european and international experience and hasnt quite had the opportunity to show his potential but has some great attributes for a counter attacking team like ours in europe and IMO will be a fantastic signing.

Thats an improvement for me in that area.

Wanyama out / Biton and Boerrigter in - Wanyama will never be replaced in my eyes - so I am glad to see we havent tried to replace him, we have found a midfielder of a different kind but again with stand out attributes with enormous potential. If this guy can find his feet quickly then he really could be wanyama/ki/commons rolled into one....however hes still young and to learn a lot. And Boerrigter, the out and out left winger we all wanted who also has end product. Coming from a strong league with european experience another top signing.

Hard to judge this early but it has potential to be a big step forward if Biton fills his potential and Boerrigter doesnt Break

Wilson out / Mouyokolo Van Dijk in - This is my least confident area. I was a big fan of Wilsons and thought he was the perfect type of defender for our style of football. He was the glue at the back. Van Dijk looks shaky to me and I dont think Mouyokolo will see anymore european football unless we are desperate. Once van dijk settles we may have a brilliant ball playing centre half who can score the odd freekick but at the moment I dont have too much confidence in him

This one hasnt worked out so well for me, if we had kept wilson I would have been delighted with our business but a centre half was badly needed as Ambrose is so hit or miss its unreal.

Overall, one of our best every transfer windows, a lot of types of players we wanted brought into the squad but my fear for this champions league group is the lack of time they have had to find there way. This may be a team that will take us further than ever before next year but realistically I would want 3rd in this group

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
  3. LoveTheTic88

Wasn't sure where to post this!

"In 2012/13 season, Newcastle (Europa League) got more coefficient points (18.2) than Celtic (16.8), due to added country coefficient points."

Incredible, the ranking systems are mucked up. A team like Newcastle who don't regularly feature in Europe at all.

4. LoveTheTic88

Celtic have the 3rd youngest average age in the Champions League this season, behind only RSC Anderlecht and Ajax (23 year old average age).

Celtic are the 9th least experienced team in the CL this season based on player appearances (117). Compared to 1st spot Barcelona (1022).

Celtic's most experienced player in the Champions League is Scott Brown with 19 appearances.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Might not make too much difference on the night but alba is out of the game at Celtic park..

Great little player who doesn't stop running and attacking..

Good news now we just have to worry about the rest.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Was just watching the sky adverts and it said 4 English teams coverage in next game,anyone else notice this?

Are we on itv?
    Even if we were we'd still be in sky red button..

Thought it was strange

7. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    aye I think the Barca game is on STV

8. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    Ajax beaten 4-0 today

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    :50:

10. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Just a heads up guys, there are a limited number of tickets on general sale for the Barcelona game, I would have got some myself but they are £54 each, just in case anyone wanted any

11. jedi45

There`s about 100 left according to stadium plan

12. scomur1888

Just got one in section 116!

Thanks to seeing this thread!! Cheers!

Delighted!!!

13. scomur1888

Nice one mate!:50:

14. RoarBhoy

that's Ajax away booked can't wait !!! Got all 3 home tickets as well so buzzin for next Tuesday too

15. Pinstripe

Just found out tonight that I've got a ticket for the Barca game section 114, workmate a season ticket holder bought the package for him and his Mrs...but she cannae make it :icon_mrgreen:....£30

16. craguuscool

Where are you guys buying these extra tickets for the Barca game? I've looked on the website but the game isn't even listed? Or did you go up to the TO? Thanks. :50:

EDIT: I see it was tweeted 14 hours ago, I guess they're all gone?

17. PaddyBhoy-1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Got more confidence about qualifying from this group after the Milan game. We were the better team, and they were the main threat for 2nd place in my book. Ajax are a great side, don't get me wrong, but Milan were the bigger threat imo.

Ajax getting pumped 4-0 means virtually nothing, our game against them is like a month away. I'd be delighted with a point over both legs against Barca. Milan, I think we can take at home. Same with Ajax. However, don't base Milan's quality off of the game in the San Siro. They had a really, really bad game and still won 2-0. Despite how they got their goals, that still says something. Thankfully, Milan's away record under their current manager is horrendous. Hopefully that plays a part.

18. AbBhoy

I was rewatching the Spartak Moscow game from last year (an all-time classic for me, overshadowed last year by Barcelona of course) and felt some pessimism creeping up. Wilson and Hooper had outstanding games. Samaras's brilliant last year header made me forget Hooper had even scored the first.

Last year's team would've been capable of going to Ajax this year and scoring three goals. But can this team? If we get a couple wins from this group it seems like they'll be grittier, defensive wins. Still not sure how I feel about our new back four, but Van Dijk seems like he could be a star in the making.

I suppose much of it depends on Pukki--started well, but we've seen players excel in Europe but not domestically, and vice versa--as well as intangibles like Brown, who is coming off his best game in a Celtic strip but remains an enigma because of his tendency to A) still ocassionally make rash, boneheaded mistakes or B) have an absolute shocker of a game in general.

It's tough but it still feels like there's an outside chance luck could be on our side, the new signings shine, and the right role players excel at the right time.

19. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

After Barca are we at home for our first game against Ajax

20. Shane1888

Aye, we have Ajax on October 22nd at home.