16 Team SPFL

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by bkk bhoy, Dec 17, 2018.

Discuss 16 Team SPFL in the Scottish Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. freitassen

Yes, something I would like to see tried is 14 teams. Right now those two extra teams would be Dundee United and one out Ayr United or Dunfermline. I am against, but i can tell the vast majority of scottish fans want a league with more teams and this needs to be taken into account.

With 14 teams you would need some sort of split though. I have nothing against the split, but many wouldnt like it.

tomlamb and Tony. like this.
  2. Tony. Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    Tbh,I think 16 would be perfect,I doubt if the tops clubs would go for 8 missing league games though.

3. tomlamb

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Would sooner 18 teams and 34 games, but...
    14 would be better than 12 even with a split. Play everyone home and away first part of the season then split in half. Would still be 38 games but none of this uneven home and away games *. Everything would be a level playing field

4. Vertie Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Broad Black Brimmer
    We could, perhaps, offset the loss of a Glasgow Derby by re-establishing the Glasgow Cup as a senior competition.

CydonianWaffle likes this.
  5. KG-Henrik

I was of the opinion that an extended league was a good thing. More teams would be bring more variation & opportunities to play usual teams less. Now I think that’s a non starter. In Scotland there is basically 24full time teams. It’s simply not enough to create 2 competitive leagues of a big enough size. I’d still rather see us play the better teams more & think the tv rights would plummet if we limited the “higher profile” matches. I’d be open to a 14team Premiership if it works out similar to the current split.

I would still like to see the rest of the leagues restructured across Scotland. More opportunities for the semi professional teams to breakthrough at the bottom & bring in Premiership youth teams into the league system.

littlekennie likes this.
  6. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney (current), Bobby Lennox (all time)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm not sure what the ideal number of teams is from a finacial point of view, but from a sporting integrity point of view, I've always believed that playing each team twice (once at home, once away) is the best way of doing things. Playing teams 4 times dilutes the appeal. How much more would you relish the trips to Ipox, and savour the win, if it was only once a year?

I'm sure financially, the small teams need 2 visits from Celtic and the Tribute Act, so it will never happen, but I can dream can't I?

7. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Drop bottom 2 teams from 2nd division and make it 2 20 team leagues.
    This would give minimum of 38 matches.
    Have an open draw each season to allocate the teams for each division.
    The winners of each 20 team division have a play off match for the CL place/s and runners up for Europa with Scottish Cup winner also getting Europa place.
    Bottom teams get relegated.

8. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The example of a Fife team would not work at all. To suggest that Dunfermline, Raith and East Fife fans could put their loyalties aside and support the same team massively underestimate the rivalry between them and would never happen. Rather than have a larger fanbase, a merged Fife club wpuld have zero fanbase.

Dunfermline and Raith are both decent sized clubs with good history behind them too. If teams were to merge I'd start by looking at the * wee no hopers like East Stirlingshire, Stirling Albion, Albion Rovers etc

9. Keano88 Geez a treble treble..

Celtic vs Alloa to see who makes the CL should be interesting.

Drakhan likes this.