1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

“Underwhelming” Signings that Ended Up Amazing

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jul 22, 2019.

Discuss “Underwhelming” Signings that Ended Up Amazing in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Hopefully in honour of our new Israeli boy. Signings where fans had a similar reaction and they turned out very good, astute signings. Think this has happened a good few times under Lenny.

First off the list:

Victor Wanyama - young boy hailed as a midfielder who we were considering turning into a centre back. Midfield was by far the strongest area of our team at the time, everybody was wondering why the * go for a central midfielder and he’d be in the reserves and never heard from again. A shocking performance in his first re-season game compounded this opinion further. Then he absolutely * Wanyama’d us. Neil Lennon’s best signing for me - including Virgil Van Dijk.

Leigh Griffiths - very contentious due to off field stuff in his younger days. Not only this, a lot had written him off as a Derek Riordan Mk II. Looked down upon as somebody who just done well when loaned to Hibs and if he was actually any good why would Wolves want rid of him? 104 goals later, the top scorer in our tilt for 10 in a row, Leigh’s well on his way to become a legend.

Kris Commons - this one everybody was 50/50 about, for such a miniscule fee everybody was wondering why. We had a young James Forrest breaking through on the left, Samaras coming on to a game on the left and now we were getting another left winger in just because he had a bit of a purple patch in the Championship. Somebody who was objectively * for Scotland. That lasted until his debut when he chipped Clangfield at Hampden. Went on to score 91 goals from midfield for us, scored a goal to take us through to the last 16 of the CL... and if he wasn’t such a * * would go down as one of my favourite ever players.

Charlie Mulgrew - this one has to be the ultimate for me under Lenny at least (because we all know it’s Lubo overall), a player already rejected for us, signed to make up the numbers when we were at a desperate time rebuilding the club. Viewed more of a signing to just bring him in because he’d been a danger to us the previous couple of seasons with his free kicks. And absolute shocking showing in his first couple of games at left back we all thought he’d have been left on the scrapheap. Injuries and desperation had us starting him left midfield at Ibrox in the New Year and an exceptional performance put him on the map for us. He never looked back from there, second season he won POTY while playing a mixture of LB, CB, LM and CM. Culminating in one of the best league winning performances I’ve ever seen while beating Kilmarnock 6-0. The man who set up the most goals on our way to the last 16 and will forever live in my memory for taking the ball off of Messi and not allowing him to restart the game where he wanted, punting the ball back to Valdes. For screaming hoi at Spartak Moscow players when we had a corner clinging on to get through to the last 16. Absolute leader and ended up contributing more than even his most ardent supporters could have thought at the start of his career.

What’s your ones? Only done ones under Lenny just now but it’s open to all managers.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    After watching Wanyama's first game I thought we'd bought a donkey. So happy to be proven wrong.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wanyama’s first game was * hilarious looking back mate. Don’t think he connected one pass to a teammate.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Rogic. Was injured for ages at first and looked like a waste of a signing.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That’s a belter that one mate :50:

Another Lenny one as well infact :56:

Could probably add Fraser Forster in there as well.

6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Larsson tbh I know you said Lenny but was a right few under Martin

Sutton
    Thompson
    Agathe

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I remember being underwhelmed when we signed Ulrik Laursen but he then went on to be very dependable and played various times in the run to Seville, including the Final.

Thought it was strange that Strachan let him leave for £50k when he came in. Strikes me as the type of player that Strachan would love;tall, physical, dependable.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Said at the bottom for all managers, I just stopped at Lenny’s :50:

The only one I’d agree with there is Agathe, all of them had massive pedigree.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Funny you say that. I watched the Road to Seville the other day and forgot just how much he did play :50:

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Apart from the ones already mentioned above, I'd personally add Tosh McKinlay and embarrassingly enough I remember feeling a bit underwhelmed when we signed Jackie McNamara (I'd have McNamara up there with Lubo at the very top of the list) and that other young boy (McQuillan was it?). I'd have both in that list.

Liam Scales likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I love wee Jackie man, always said (and I stand by it) most underrated Celtic Legend ever.

12. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
  13. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Lubo :39:

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Kelvin Wilson for me. Wasn't too enamoured with the idea of signing him just because Lenny knew him from Forest.

First season he came in he was absolutely shocking. One hun game in particular he was absolutely awful. Turned that around big time with a massive second season where he established himself as a Rolls Royce and I was absolutely gutted he left to go back home after that season.

15. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Ramon Vega who I think was ridiculed at Spurs. Great signing!!

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Kelvin Wilson is the only player I’ve ever said I would absolutely never again have in the Hoops and was an absolute fraud. Then he turned in that season, would have loved to have seen how him and big Virgil would have got on. He was signed to partner him.

Slaw likes this.
  17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think Mulgrew is the only one out of that list who is even relatable to the new Israeli boy.

Wanyama was a young kid, Griffiths and Commons had both proved they could cut it in leagues better than ours.

The new boy might come in and be excellent but for me it's very, very underwhelming. He's 28, failed at all other European clubs. I can see why some people are unhappy about it. I hoped that we would have went out and splashed some decent money on a proven player in a better league, given we were willing to pay £8m fo Castagne and £7m for Piccini.

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Probably eats at him a bit that he could have stayed and played with Virgil considering how his career went thereafter. Most people who leave us do end up regretting it in my opinion. He left for family reasons though in fairness.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, left with everybody wishing him well. Really didn’t want to leave but did because his family. Can’t argue with that, sacrificed himself for them.

DennyCelt and Slaw like this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Not the thread for it, it’s for underwhelming signings who turned out to be good players for us :50:

And what league had Griff proved himself in better than ours btw?