1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

“Ridiculous” McDonald Rumours a Cautionary Tale for the Bhoys.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by Daver, Apr 27, 2010.

By Daver on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM
  1. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    “Ridiculous” McDonald Rumours a Cautionary Tale for the Bhoys.

With the current SPL campaign nearing completion, and Celtic fans wondering where the club will go from here, recent reports insinuating an imminent return to paradise for Aussie striker Scott McDonald have been dealt a blow today.

McDonald, prolific during his time with the Bhoys, has been a relative success since his move to Gordon Strachan’s Middlesborough. With the World Cup to look forward to in the Summer, the diminutive forward – understandably – has his eyes firmly fixed on that target, before returning to the English Championship next season.

Nonetheless, a recent quote from McDonald, stating “football is a funny old game, so never rule it out. To play for Celtic again would be unbelievable,” was sufficient for the constantly over-indulgent Scottish rumour mill to run into overdrive.

Seemingly, within minutes, discussion of a return next season appeared on the cards. Rumours – true or false – sell papers, and the conscience of any publication is always clear, irrespective of the actual accuracy or reporting.

However, McDonald’s situation was clarified today, with the following statement:

“The reports are completely misleading. I was asked if I would ever go back to Celtic and I love the club, so I would never say never.

But I wasn’t referring to any time in the near future. I’m loving it with Middlesborough and I’m only focused on helping the club win promotion next season. Any suggestion that I’d want to leave already is just ridiculous.”

[​IMG]

Skippy - no imminent return.

Ridiculous. That is a word that will sum up, frankly, the majority of rumours we can look forward to in the months to come – be it manager or player related. A quote taken out of context leads to a whirlwind of hope and contemplation. What Celtic supporters will rely upon in the future – as before – is the ability to sift through the 95% of drivel, to locate the occasional kernel of truth.

DM

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010