1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

» SNP aim to hold Scottish Independence Referendum

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KK-Bhoy, Sep 3, 2009.

Discuss » SNP aim to hold Scottish Independence Referendum in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. KK-Bhoy

There couldn't be a worse time to have a referendum on independence seeing as we're in the middle of the biggest economic crisis in decades.

2. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'm Irish and I'd love to see an Independent Scotland, but I think myself that the timing of this is wrong. If it goes against Indepedence, the issue will be put to bed for at least another decade, if not longer.

We only have to look at the Australian Republic debate. The consensus was that a yes vote was more or less guaranteed back in 1999, but infighting among Republicans and vague choices for voters meant that it's status was unchanged.
    10 years later, it isn't a particularly pressing need for Australians at the moment.

The timing of a vote on a country's status is crucial, and I just can't help but feel that the SNP are pushing this a little early.

3. Markybhoy

Well whenever they hold it I know how I'll be voting...........

YES!!!

4. Bucksbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Majority of MON's Team
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Let The People Sing, Grand Old Team To Play For...
    undecided about this still....would love an independent Scotland, But would we be able to stand on our own 2 feet?

5. Batch_CFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Brown, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What difference would it make?

6. daschoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    caldwell, hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    realistically the snp will be looking to get it pushed through before the next british elections. if the other parties vote down a referendum then the snp will say that they are not letting the scottish people chose which will strengthen their position. alternitavely if the referendum goes through and the people vote no then when britain votes tory and scotland doesn't then the support for independance will be strengthened. as previously said whenever any referendum is held i will be voting for independance

7. Pop67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    The timing is relevant only insofar as the election is concerned. The SNP know that they will never get the bill past the unionist parties as they are a minority government. So they put in some add ons to show that they are playing fair, and when the bill is defeated they will say to Scots "These parties dont want you to have your say", just in time for the next election.

Another plan of genius from Big Eck.

Yes to independence.

8. ScottishGhirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Salmond is an Idiot. He should never be governing this country!!!

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good for you. Go for independence.

10. kingdom kev

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama the noo.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jumping oot their windaes when we win.
    who should be?just out of interest.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I agree with you KK-Bhoy. People will be more concerned with the recession than voting for independence. I'm undecided on what I'd vote for. Still need to learn about the pros and cons.

12. ardoyne celt

13. HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Id vote No, simply because its the SNP in government right now and I dont trust them with anything.

14. The The Hand

Surely it's during times of hardship that people are most likely to vote for radical change?

Personally, although I'm not generally an SNP voter myself, I think independence would make a great change for the better in Scotland. So many Scottish folk are psychologically hog-tied with this * up "we're-*, wha's-like-us" disease.

So many Scottish people (tragically) dislike or despise the English, but don't have the basic self-belief to do without them. They are like feckin junkies, addicted to "Great" Britain.

I believe there are huge untapped resources of creativity in Scotland (and let's face it, we live in a creativity economy now - the days of millions of folk being employed in manual jobs in Scotland are gone forever). All it needs is a big injection of self-belief, and I think independence would provide that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  15. ScottishGhirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone

Completely agree with you. Salmond and co are totally incompentent.

16. Markybhoy

As opposed to the Labour Party who have been just wonderful in their 12 years of making a hash of it. :87:

17. ScottishGhirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    McDonald Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone

Well least they've not had there arses up sandi thoms * for the last year. Nor would they cancel public engadgements to go golfing with Sean connery. The guy get people to let him know which scottish celebrities he should be writing so he can get all chummy.

He should be more concerned about the scottish people who actually live here and sort out the problems this country faces not fuking about with celebrities and oh aye freeing convicted bombers!!

18. Markybhoy

Is that any worse than sipping tea with and sucking up to Margaret Thatcher? I bet Gordon Brown didn't give a second thought to all the people and families in Scotland who got * over royally by that cow and her Conservative government in the 80's while he was sitting sipping away at his wee bone china cup of Darjeeling and shooting the breeze. Gordon Brown only has eyes for keeping middle england and the south east happy these days. At least Alex Salmond cares about Scotland and puts Scotland first.

And as for freeing Megrahi I think you'll find Mr Brown and his cronies were saying they didn't want him dying in a scottish prison either. Although they didn't have the balls to come out and say it publicly. No change there then.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2009
  19. irvy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,cauldwell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    so what happens to all the billions that westminster has shoved into scotlands banks to sort out the ressesion would scotland have to sort this debt out we would * go into meltdown

20. MagicCalculator

There is a gap between public spending in Scotland (£40bn) and revenue raised there (£27bn).

A Scottish government would have to choose between higher taxes and cuts in public services.