1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

£30k p.w. now free. What to do with it ?

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by sammybobo, May 22, 2009.

Discuss £30k p.w. now free. What to do with it ? in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The long term plan is to buy potential and establish a 'core' of players and give them 5 year contracts, e.g. Boruc, Brown, McDonald, McGeady all signed 5 year contracts.

The want to keep these players together so that there is experience at the highest level, UCL, to pass on to the next generation. i.e. the Misun's & Mizuno's of the reserves and eventually if they are good enough, they become 'core' players and given long term contracts.

The biggest problem in recent years is that we've had to sell our experience because their contracts were unsustainable or wanted to leave. With the emphsis on performance based contracts now at the club (Balde, Hartson & Sutton etc werent on these) experience can be retained without detrimental effects to our finances.

The investment into training & youth facilites and improvements to the scouting network will not be reflected into the first team for a couple more seasons but it will yield good results with proper management, which it is getting.

2. Timmy10

We get Gareth Bale in on loan from Spurs....Apparently they want to loan him out, and hes left back:50:

3. OC

If this all can happen, we would be fantastic team. But what would happen if these things don't get exactly as we planned? And I still don't get it why have we been in financial chaos in recent years, as well as in years to come?

4. OC

Loaned player wouldn't do us much good. Bale would be expensive to maintain, so I'm against it. We need a long term solution for LB position.

5. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    use it to give the insides of the stands a new lease of life!

6. Biffy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik, Brown, Aiden, Artur and Big Jan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Willie Maley
    He's half the player of Caldwell and Loovens, worse than Mick and O'Dea too.

7. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The expectations of the club have remained constant for Celtic but the financial requirement to meet these needs have changed dramatically.

The age of TV money has elevated several leagues to new highs but the SPL * up when it tried to strong arm Sky and a couple of years in the doldrums took its toll as our debt shot up to offset difference between the SPL and the rest of Europe. We were heading for the iceberg that Rangers have hit. When GS came in, thats when the bulk of the changes to make the club self-sustaining again.

Desmond's reasoning for not bank rolling players is that he wont be around forever and he would rather put the club in a strong position to fend for itself. But he is and has been tempted to invest in the clubs infrastructure, i.e. Lennoxtown, and stated he would do so again if the circumstances are right. Currently, they are not

8. Timmy10

I dont have any problem with us getting 1 or 2 players in on loan. Its a good way for us to get hold of better quality players, as alot of them dont want to come because of where we are

9. KrisBhoy87

Don't know how many times i have to this lol...KADLEC,KADLEC,KADLEC!

10. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Knowing us it will be invested in another future star that will never make the grade instead of spending it on proven quality

11. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We arent going to be buying proven quality because they cost too much and even then they can get a better deal in another league.

12. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Does that mean we have to tolerate the dissapointing standard we have had to put up with this season ?

13. cat123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields Of Athenry
    TBH I think that they are moving the club in the right direction but I still think that quality in certain positions are required. I am sure that in 3 years time we might begin to notice what sounds like a great set up for the club.

14. DanniGhirl

That is the only way forward for a club with our limited access to finances, however as has been seen recently it requires patience from the fans and unfortunately we are not known for being the most patient fans around.

Like you say it will take a few years for the benefits to be recognised but when you can't attract proven quality due to financial constraints it's the only way we can operate.

I'm glad Desmond doesn't bankroll transfers for us as it's not sustainable in the long term and we can't afford to have a short term outlook on the development of our club.

Despite knowing and understanding this I'd still like to see us try and get at least a couple of better quality players in during the summer, namely a left back and striker.

15. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    I would settle for any quality player because the standard of the first team is very dissapointing

16. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Nobody is worse than Mick.

Even Du Wei or Scheidt were not that bad. :56:

Mick is a total bombscare.

17. rabt1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc, Skippy, Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, some others we shall not mention .......
    I am hoping that the 30k a week could bring in 2 new 15k a week players, but we are in the midsts of a recession and sadly penny pinching is required.

I put my trust in Peter Lawell to run my club, as he has taken a £60 Million debt and dissapeared it in quick smart time, and when the bubble bursts all over the world, and it will, we will be in a better position than anyone.

Dont quote me, but I believe that, Italy outstanding, we are the only club in the Fifa top 50 who are debt free !!

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  18. die_hard_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields
    anyone else remember wwwaaaayyyy back to last year when mick and caldwell's position with the fans was the exact opposite it is now... interesting stuff.

19. echobassbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johan Mjallby, Henrik Larsson, Paul Lambert
    Like most of the comments on this thread,and most threads, it has been turned to an anti strachan/board argument. I see where both arguments come from, spend less get out of debt. But at what cost? I assume most have heard the phrase 'speculate to accumulate'!

This is what should be happening coz if the business minded people at CP know about business they would know you cant get the best ( or closest to it) by penny pinching. And with many other views on young talent. I love the facr we're going for youngsters around europe coz the best teams on the UK and europe do this. But whats the point if theres no older, more experienced class at Celtic? e.g. Look how players like Maloney turned out due to having players like Larsson + Lubo(especially Lobo) had on him.

Now to answer the question, 30k a week = another 30k a week player, i.e spend a little............ live alot.lol:celt_2:

20. OC

Can a move to EPL do us a world of good? Because, as I see it, SPL standard and SPL as whole is our biggest obstacle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.