1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

£30k p.w. now free. What to do with it ?

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by sammybobo, May 22, 2009.

Discuss £30k p.w. now free. What to do with it ? in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Now that Bobo is free. Do you think anything constructive will be done with it, or will we continue to sign Premier League players and pretend to have been interested in better quality players from abroad only to say "they wouldn't come"

Or will Bobo's yearly wage go to the bank to clear the overdraft ?

Good luck to Bobo. Better than anything we have at the moment.

Sorry to see him go.....:54:

2. pHatRon67

i think we have been interested in better players and I honestly think they didn't want to come.. i think Strachan cannot attract big players. I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt he will.

3. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    As in a bigger name manager could attract better quality ?

4. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It wont be given to Strachan

5. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Banked ?

Given to another incoming manager ?

New yacht for Dermot ?

:rolleyes:

6. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Used to complete phase 2 of Lennoxtown, used to increase the scouting network

7. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It's possible I suppose.....:54:

8. pHatRon67

not particularly a bigger name, just a better man manager.

imho, MoN could attract a much better player due to his man management skills. You just have to look at some of the big names who wanted out/were kicked out when Strachan joined. Hartson, Petrov, Bobo..

I don't think Strachan comes across very well, infact I think he comes across as an arrogant wee c*nt.

9. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Agreed..:icon_mrgreen:

10. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That wasnt Strachan's call, dont even attempt to insinuate that it was

11. pHatRon67

I'm not attempting to insinuate anything. * me, George Burley told Hearts where to shove their job when Vlad got involved with the first team, so surely he had some say so. Or did they say "Hi Gordon, we're going to give you * all money and sell our best players, do you want be our manager?"

The players he has looked at and been in talks with, imho, would have been signed sealed and delivered with MoN. Wether or not it's because of the ginger fella's aroogance is anyones call, but I suspect the manager has a lot to do with the fact we're not bringing in good/great players.

12. sammybobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Not the best man/media manager I have ever seen.

13. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Burley was contracted to have full control then got interference

Strachan was told that Lawwell would be in control of transfer policy (you can thank MON for that) and took on the challenge anyway because it would be a challenge. He has stated publicly that its a term in his contract and is happy with it.

Celtic was never going to give the incoming manager full control because they had to restructure everything at the club and they didnt need a * manager at every turn. The club had long term objectives and wanted to achieve them as quickly as possible, and under GS, they are on schedule.

14. pHatRon67

on schedule? you mean we've got to endure even more of the penny pinching from the board? * *..

tbh, imho, bad move going for a 'debtless' club. every club has debt, and deals with it. the team is suffering, * me, the club is suffering.. look at the attendances.

15. OC

But what would happen if WGS leaves and we bring another manager in? Will he have full control of the clubs transfers? Was MON in full charge of transfers?

16. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    MON and his ridiculous contracts to the likes of Bobo, Hartson & Sutton is the reason Lawwell has revoked any control to the manager. Consider him the Director of Football but he's not a football expert just a business man so John Park was employed to independently evaluate potential players based on Strachan's system.

Unless its Moyes and even then I'd be surprised if Lawwell gives Moyes the level of control that MON enjoyed. Celtic has adopted a continental model of how it works and despite me continually stating this over and over, it has fallen on deaf ears everytime

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  17. OC

Balde is doubtful, but I think whatever the contracts of Hartson and Sutton were, they worthed every peny. I simply can't understand why are the people from the board lacking any bigger investment. I understand that they want to keep the club clear of debt and to make smart moves, but it reflects on how we play. With the money they are investing, we won't move from this situation soon. I'm not asking for bags of money to be instaled to the budget, but a bit more money and we would bring some more quality players that already have good reputation. Dermot Desmond (I found out about him just few days ago) said that he won't give money from his pocket to Celtic. I respect that, he doesn't have to do that. Now what about the money from CL every year, TV rights for both SPL and CL? I don't know where's the money from that. Lennoxtown upgrade? I'd rather upgrade our squad.

18. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If you look at the books, you can see with your own eyes that Celtic just about break even with the UCL money.

If you dont understand why they are doing something, then you must wonder how you can accurately criticise their actions.

The SPL is being left behind by other leagues, this is reflected in what we are getting for our money.

The long term plan is the only course of action and it looks like fans cant be patient for that to materialise, they want to revert back to debt and selling because we need to meet repayments....

How many good players did we sell just to balance the books, I was sick when we had to do that.

19. OC

I'm not sure I understand you. Are we in debt? And what is the long term plan that you mentioned?

20. Hector

Fav Celtic Player:
    LARSSON
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I understand the long term goal is to invest more int the youth and scout system and for that to come to fruitation it will be a few years, but would it really set us back that much to invest in proper first teamer's. Look at it this way even after MON when the club was in debt we still had succes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.