1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Bhoys to English leagues?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by BTG, Sep 28, 2004.

Discuss Bhoys to English leagues? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Ok, its a debate thats been ongoing for a while now but what do you all think about us moving to play in the English hierarchy? Desmond has recently told the press that he believes us and the Huns will be part of the English leagues within 3 years, but would you agree or disagree to a change in leagues?

I myself would be delighted, we are simply too good for the SPL and these days nobody gives us a challenge (bar the odd off day) Celtic park is getting quietter largely due to the unexciting aspect of playing the likes of Inverness Caley every week. Imagine us in the English leagues and how much more exciting it would be playing Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool et al.

Its been talked about that the only way we could ever join the league is if we start off in League 2 (old division 3) but would you lot be bothered? After all with our fan base, facilities and youth system we'd almost be a guarenteed Premiership side in a few years. The way i'd see it, although we'd miss out on the CL for a few seasons the long term benefits financially and all together for the good of the club would be great.

Thoughts?

2. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I would love us to get in the EPL but * starting in the lower leagues because we would end up havin to sell all of our gd players because of playin teams that are all part time would not draw the crowds in, which means not earning enough cash and promotion would be difficult thats the way im lookin at it. Sounds gd but its Far Far Away from happening

3. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It would be unfair even i'll admit if we went straight into the EPL, we have a class youth acadamy at CP and our facilities and stadium is great. I have no doubt that we'd still draw in 15,000ish crowds in the 3rd division, at least if we did drop down we'd see who the real glory hunters are! I must admit, id enjoy the challenge.

4. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    aye true but i don't even the most hardcore fans would be willing to pay hugh ticket prices to see these teams and the travelling costs, i dont even think the EPL is the answer maybe a european league is the one who knows

5. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Aye once again that would be great but once again whos going to pay to go to Spain, Italy, Germany etc week in week out. I think EPL would be the best option, the SPL is currently holding us back and is the large reason that we cant attract better players than Yorke/Desailly.

6. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    The EPL is the best option we have, the EPL managers all say it would be great to have us, but most of the fans don't because they think we're too cocky, because we think we'd do not bad straight away. I duno the answer but i don't really see any of this happening. Fifa will make teams cut down on foreigners and this will make the scottish league better and we will just have to live with it, we're stuck in the SPL for the future anyway

7. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Something else which you have to think about aswell, did any of you know that if Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham or Newport City finish in a CL place in the prem they wont qualify for Europe!?! Its ridiculas if you ask me, apparently because they're Welsh they wont be allowed to play in the CL via qualifying from the English leagues. Would we be eligable for the comp is we ever moved down south?!

8. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Never knew they wouldn't be allowed in the champs league if they got there, Thats pish for them. When you look at it like that is there much point if we can't play in europe ?
    The FA is just as bad as the SFA a total joke

9. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I know couldnt quite believe it when I found out. European football is the biggest competition in the world both in financially and in terms of quality and we most certainly would want to be there. Im not sure if we'd be allowed or not, all I know is that Welsh clubs arnt allowed if they ever finish in those CL places.

10. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Celtic Park is the best place in the UK for champs league games, it would be so disappointing not to be there.

11. hoopsbhoy4life

Fav Celtic Player:
    them all
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    the english really dont want us down there incase we show them up they could'nt take it when we gubbed liverpool and blackburn and a think aslong as the cl is running there wont be a euro lge

12. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

I would love this to happen, but I cant see us moving down there for quite some time to come. And as what Bobo said earlier, if we had a Euro league, youd be forking out money every 2 weeks to play in spain, Italy, etc.

13. dbhoy

it's a bit of a catch 22 in the spl all we have to look forward to is OF games and European nights, if we go to the EPL div 1 we surrender CL football for at least 2 years maybe more. Lets face it it could take 10 years before we could challange to win the league and thats something were not used to.

I'd like to see the SPL working to have a prem league with 16 teams in it. Anyone to gets promoted from div1 gets enough money to bring there ground up to scratch

ahhhh * it, it will never happen were stuck were we are may aswell enjoy the 10inarow were gonna do.

14. duffy

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Thats the Way DBhoy Mon the Hoops lets get stuck into these italians :icon_evil

15. Stevo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Eric Cantona
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hello Hello We Are The Busby Boys
    your not good enough!

16. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    * off ya Manc bassa

17. Dubsbhoy Banned!

Your right at the mo were not good enough but thats cos we don't have the resources to spend 50 million every summer so in that department were not good enough.

but then there's things that money can't buy.

How does it feel known everyone that does not support your club hates your * guts, your fans are all glory hunters that jumped on the 90's winning band wagon, your team is full of ugly looking cheats and your manager is as corrupt as they come now go away and stick your face in a paper shredder.

18. BTG

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Maloney, Browny
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I actually disagree Dubs, I think our first team is certainly good enough, obviously not to win it but definetly good enough to survive.

19. larsson97_04

Fav Celtic Player:
    Maloney, JVOH
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    * off

20. Dubsbhoy Banned!

Yeah but who wants to just survive??

anyways the point i was making was if we had the sort of revenue epl teams had it would be a different kettle of fish and it's unfair to make comparsions when were so limited in so many ways.

Put it this way no team anywhere could do as well as celtic have done if they had the same budget or were stuck playing micky mouse teams (like rangers) week in week out.