1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Quinn Eligible?!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Daver, Sep 23, 2008.

Discuss Quinn Eligible?! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Read to my disatisfaction that Rocco Quinn is eligible for the game tonight, despite there being some controversy around it all..

Can someone please tell me how the * this is allowed to happen when virtually every other team in * Britain puts a clause in these loan deals ensuring it does not happen?

Let's face facts, this is a game we are "expected" to win, but Livi are playing well, and if wonder boy has a blinder against us, i won't be impressed..

Thoughts on the matter? Reasons why the clause was not put in place?:47:

2. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I'd rather find out how good he can perform against a quality side to be honest and we should beat them even if they have our full reserve team out.

I don't like these clauses but just for the record I noticed that Partick's on loan Ranger Lennon can't play against them.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Shouldn't be able to play in my opinion, will only cause problems for the guy should we get beat and he's played a part in it.

The way Strachan worded it in his interview though, it sounded less likely than normal he'll be returning. There might be a permanant contract clause rather than an eligibility one!

4. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    I agree Hammer - i highly doubt he'll be returning to us in any major capacity...but it puts him in an extremely difficult position IMO.

Landi (Liv boss) said "I must admit i was surprised to hear that he could play in this game", clearly showing what his thoughts were on the matter.

On a non-related note, their chairman is quoted in the Sun saying:

"I don't think that reaching the last 16 is good enough (for Celtic). When you look at the money they have.....they should be looking to win the competition"

Drivel.:38:

5. Lazycame

Fav Celtic Player:
    McManus
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    We would be in some trouble if Rocco was ever a first team player, he simply isn't good enough. As for tonight i'm sure Loovens and Co. will keep him at bay.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think I've ever seen Quinn play but I doubt he'll cause too many problems.
    He wanted to sign for St.Johnstone permanently last season but they didn't have the cash.
    He'll be going for good over the next year I think

7. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    I'm pretty sure the laws of the game state that if you send someone on loan then they must still be available to play against you.

In the past we have got around this with gentlemens agreements (Fernandez when we played Livingston? Or was it Dundee United we put him on loan to?) and there was a bit of furore with Martin O'Neill there who apparently asked the opposing manager not to play him.

Also in the EPL Tim Howard was inexplicably dropped by Everton when they played Man United (while Howard was on loan). The 'official' story was he was unfit but the speculation was Alex Ferguson demanded him not to play. This is illegal as the player in question would therefore have an interest in 2 different clubs.

You would expect the Livi manager to have the decency not to play Quinn but we can't argue if they do. Just in future let's not put our players on loan to teams we will be playing :rolleyes:

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It's not a law either way, you can permit them to or not....it's at the feeder clubs discretion.

9. KingBoruc1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    it shouldnt matter if hes playin, hes out on loan because the plaers we have are better,so why the worry? anyway, it would be a bit rubbish for him if he wasnt allowed to play, hes gettin to play against his heroes in a cup match in paridise.

10. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

You are right enough there dude; gentlemen's agreement - paper states the example also of Jim O'Brien in the 2007 Cup Final and i remember that...he wasn't allowed to play and was obviously distraught.

As mentioned earlier though, Stevie Lennon is not being allowed to play against the Huns tomorrow so i'm in relative disbelief as to why we haven't looked after ourselves a little bit more. Don't get me wrong, i expect a win, but no point taking ANY chances....

11. markthecelt

Blame Peter Lawell he is the man that does the contracts for incoming and outgoing loan players to other clubs

12. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon

Indeed - thankfully in the end it mattered not a *...still though; someone somewhere must have either have made a * up, which is careless, or just decided it didn't matter, which is foolhardy.

13. McNaka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, sends chills up my spine
    I'm assuming it's because this was a "we're trying to sell him" loan and not a "we're trying to get him some experience" loan.