1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

£21,000,000 - £3,000,000

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Sweeney, Sep 18, 2008.

Discuss £21,000,000 - £3,000,000 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sweeney

I read today in the paper that rangers have debts of 21 million quid.
    Our debts are 3 million, plus we will make far more this season.

I know that the lack of transfer activity has been discussed to death, and i can see this getting closed, but look at these figures and tell me you're not amazed at how little the club improved the team in the summer.

I find it remarkable, if anything. For so long i made the point that celtic is run by people who want the best for the team and are always working to improve the squad, but seriously, what the *.

This isn't a retaliation of tonight, i had just never realised how good our finantial state was compared to a certain other team who outdone us in the transfer window.

2. kennydal

its a good place to be regarding money matters ,but in truth more money should have been spent

3. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If we sold our best players, we could sign lesser replacements too.

4. Sweeney

Good point but it's not like we would have had to sell our best players to effectively improve the team. We could have invested heavily in a left back without getting into a financial mess like rangers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  5. buzzbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    maloney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    holy goalie
    i always thought that rangers debt was around 50million. was it ever that high or did they just reduce it.

6. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Maybe but its not like football manager.

We have to find a player that has the required ability to be better than what we already have, that doesnt fall into the EPL style inflated transfer fee, the EPL style inflated wage demands and he has to want to play for Celtic in the SPL.

That isnt an easy task. Rangers didnt sign any good players during the transfer window either

7. celticbhoy001

Money should have been spent on what? All our first team are on long term, bonus incentive contracts.

Let look at it

GK - no need to spend money, one of the best in Europe, back up experienced in SPL
    RB - Caddis, Dumbe, Hinkel, Wilson - 4 players one positon - WAGE BILL
    CB - McManus, Caldwell, Loovens, Balde, O´Dea, Cuthbert - needs more strength and depth but again 6 players 2 positions, WAGE BILL
    LB - Naylor - major investment needed here!
    CM - Robson, Crossas, Hartly, Brown, Donati, 4 players long terms deals, 2 positions
    RM/LM Naka, Maloney, MiHzuno, McCourt, McGeady,, 5 players long term deals
    Attack - McDonald, JVOH, Samaras, Kilen, Hutchison, Sheridan, 6 players lng term deals. WAGE BILL

You see were we are at, Celtic FC CAN afford to add to the squad, but not just for the sake of it. We have players at the club, who yes I think are milking us only for cash. But untill they are either sold or paid off we are stuck with them and have to make do.

Look at our % of turnover to income it is pretty impressive. Celtic FC will make "blue chip" signings but only onve every 3/4 years we could not sustain spensing like that. We are doing the right thing working within our perameters, trying t sign good younf players with potential.

What is the point of signing another forward, when we have 2 who scored 51 goals last season. Was anyone crying out for a new forward when Henrick and Sutton/Hartson were banging in the goals? NO

LB that in my opinion is the only area we should have bought for, even for onyl cover, remember Naylor was good when he first arrived, so he still has it.

8. McNaka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, sends chills up my spine
    Plus most of the players that meet all those specifics would also have trouble getting a work permit.

9. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yep, another problem we face but regardless we should be signing players than can compete with the likes of United (UCL Holders), these constraints are just excuses, they dont actually exist for us :rolleyes:

10. b1gs341

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady, Boruc, Maloney, Caddis
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail, YNWA
    Charlie Davies. You heard it here first.

11. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No I didn't. :icon_mrgreen:

12. McNaka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, sends chills up my spine
    You know what I'm about to ask... even though I already know the answer... :icon_mrgreen:

So, can he?

13. wulliebad

Ok so rangers have 20 million in debt and we have only 3million, but are they in europe??????. If we went out in jan and spend 20million it would get us two players....say two at 6million and the other 8 million would go on thier wages...its not the cost of players that is killing us its the weekly paypacket.....we clear 4 or 5 million a year and with new contracts pay rise ect ect we would have...maybe 1 0r 2 mill left over each year....give that to the bank we will be debt clear again in 10 to 15 years time....for just two players!!!!!!!!!!! spending big money aint the way ahead and sooner we get used to that the better.looking for young players that could be great but cheap is the only way we can keep up with the rest.....trust me i would love celtic to be able to spend 10/20/30million a player....but it aint going to happen in the spl.....ever.

14. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    I've tried discussing this reasonably in the past but seriously - what the * does "major investment" in the left back position mean?

Spending £10 million on a left back? Giving him £45k a week? This is a * plea to get people to realise that you can't just throw money at * players and think thatll solve anything.

George McCartney moved from West Ham to Sunderland this summer for £6 million. If we spent that much money on a player of his ability * help us all.