1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Short term approach to transfers

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by dazmc, Sep 2, 2004.

Discuss Short term approach to transfers in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dazmc

Sorry to be a bit negative but…

Nearly all the players chased this summer are “mature” and not long term solutions. We have good young players but buying old codgers does not seem to fit in a long term plan. Players in their prime are not cheap and we can afford very few of quality, but to buy old geezers goes against MON’s recent strategies. MON said he only wants to add quality to improve the first team and that seems natural but to me all the transfer moves (failed and otherwise) together can be seen as the closing stages of a team building cycle. The next logical stage in the team’s development is the youngsters taking centre stage supported by experienced guys - the emergence of a new team - but can we now rely on the youngsters to step up and be counted?

What I am getting at is the indications are that we are near the end of a team building cycle and I get the feeling that MON is shaping to leave at the end of the season. No big transfer signings allowed, team getting older, young players not yet proven to be top class. Next season will be time for major surgery and MON will understandably not want to go through the process again and risk losing the * like status he has deservedly earned among the faithful. The plan seems to be “one last season with a couple of golden oldies and one player on a year long loan” then it’ll be “I’ve taken this team as far as I can” and MON’s off! :icon_cry:

Am I reading too much into the short term nature of this summers transfer dealings?

2. Dubsbhoy Banned!

thats a fair enough point but i can't see MON walking out on celtic leaving a mess behind him. I think this will be judgement season for some of our youngsters if they wanna rise to stardom i think this season is the perfect opportunity for them to that. i've been having a look around other boards and everyone seems to be up in arms over two things, one wee signed nobody for the CL before the deadline and secondly the age of the players we went for.

i think for the moment the question needs to be swept under the rug as there is nothing that can be done now until january or the end of the season. Everyone needs to lift their heads and get on with it we have a league and 3 cups to win and until them objectives are achieved or not i think we should let the transfer saga die down for a while.

3. dazmc

I know you're right, just had to get it off my chest.