1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Midfield

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ArturBorucCSC, Feb 18, 2020.

Discuss Our Midfield in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Did he sign a 2 year deal last january? or was it longer? Either way i think we'll give him another year at the end of next season, but by then we should hopefully have whoever his replacement is ready, whether that's Soro or somebody else.

2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Brown should be in the team. Nobody else can do the job he does in terms of the physical side of the game and his form has been deserving of a place in the team.
    The only other realistic options would be to play Ntcham or Mcgregor there and that would require them sacrificing getting forward and instead being more disciplined. Or Bitton who has been a squad player for us.

3. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lack of player rotation is something that does worry me a little.
    Do we really need Brown for 90min against the like of Clyde? For me, there are many games he should start, Huns, sheep, all European games.
    Would it weaken us any if we were to rotate a midfield positions between any 2 from Nicham, Forrest and Christie?
    Just feel something will eventually give with guys playing 3 games in 8 days.
    We do have squad strength in depth for most positions but there seems to be a reluctance to change a winning team, which is fine but with the crazy number of games we play, would like to see a small little piece of rotation for certain games.

4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Weve been saying that about brown for the last 6 seasons atleast. More he rests, the worse he is. Hes just that type.

Liam Scales likes this.
  5. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I think it should be rotated more, there is too much quality in that part of the team which is underused.

If we don't adequately replaced big Ed when he moves on this could come back to bite us on the *.

Think so much goes through Ed and even Forrest chipping in with a lot of assists.

Personally the current midfield trio don't assist as much as they shoukd/can, wee CM is probably the best out them, for me Oz and RC contribute more in an attacking sense.

Brown is a machine though but I don't believe he should be playing as much as he has. Even CM.

Mind you I think Lenny is too scared to mess about with it much as feels there is too much riding on his decisions. So can get that.

Dan Breen likes this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's not playing like a guy who is nearly 35. His fitness levels seem as strong as ever and as long as he is fit, he will be in the team.

What I do agree on however and its a point I've made before, we shouldn't have to be playing him in the games at home against your St Mirren's, Ross County etc. No offence to those, but the way they come and play at Parkhead makes a strong case for having McGregor, Ntcham and Christie/Rogic all in there.

He should be kept as fresh as possible and those games are perfect opportunities to help do so. Even then, it's not even a case of purely keeping him as fresh as possible, but seeing what other combinations work in there. For instance, we already know that Christie, McGregor and Rogic work well together. I'm sure Ntcham would too. Then you have Soro coming in, it won't hurt to change things up. We have the depth to do so.

7. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Should he be one of the first names on the teamsheet? Yes.

This isn't basketball. There's more to football than just gung-ho attacking. Fill the side with attacking midfielders and strikers, and we will probably still win the League, because we'd still win most weeks. But if you want to combine those titles with some Cups; grow a pattern of play which protects against the Tribute Act ever getting their sh*t together' and hopefully builds towards being competitive in Europe; then we need Brown (and in a few years time, a replacement) to fulfill a vital role.