1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Best horror films

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Callum McGregor, Feb 17, 2020.

Discuss Best horror films in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This is by far my least watched genre. I’ll go see them in the cinema when I’m bored or have seen everything else, but I can barely remember the names of a lot of them as they tend to blend into one. Last horror I really enjoyed was Midsommar, last year. It’s probably my favourite horror that I’ve seen. Any gems I’m missing out on?

2. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

By and large, horrors these days are cheap schlock. Used to watch mostly every new one trying to find a gem but they’re all pretty *. Terrible writing and terrible acting. Really need to watch the older ones for original ideas that work, and even then they’re mostly cheesy garbage :giggle1:

3. Bonobhoy

Horror films suck nowadays.

But a selection here are great imo.

THE THING (1982) - Best Horror film,still to this day looks great due to the advanced puppetry used,Outstanding movie.

Prince Of Darkness - Another great horror from John Carpenter,very creepy and well made.

Rec - Spanish Movie but deffo worth a watch.

The Exorcist - Still a great movie till this day,aged a bit but still well acted.

Foreign movies (dont watch the american * remakes) : A tale of 2 sisters,Shutter,The eye,The ring.

Zanderama, Lilac Wine and scootz like this.
  4. Keano88

Horror and Psychological Thriller are my fave genre’s to watch. Difficult to find a good one of either genre though.

As you say, most of the spirit/possessed pish all blend into one for me as well and I struggle to remember which ones I’ve already seen :giggle1:

Prefer the old slasher’s like Halloween, Friday 13th.

Lilac Wine and Officer Doofy like this.
  5. TimFloyd Gold Member

Dunno rarely watch anything horror these days.

The ring, the Grudge and creep were pretty spooky.

Devils rejects as well I think I enjoyed

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  6. scootz

The Thing. 10/10

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The Thing is the GOAT. The Wicker Man is probably my second favourite but it’s not a typical horror. The Shining is obviously up there as well.

Out of all the classic slasher series of films, I’d recommend Scream the most, followed by Halloween.

In terms of this century - Let the Right One In is one of my favourites that goes under the radar.

elbhoydo and bagforlife like this.
  8. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Saw Let the Right One In a good few years ago and it is one of the most beautiful horror films I've ever seen if you know what I mean :)

TheHappyLoss and Officer Doofy like this.
  9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Halloween is the scariest I've seen but I was very young and just turning the lights out at that age made me * myself.

Scariest films I've seen as an * are the Austrian original 1994 Funny Games. I refuse to watch the 2007 US remake even though Naomi Watts and Tim Roth are in it and I'd watch any film with them, it would just be a disaster if they tried to make it popular for the senses.

Blair Witch freaked me out in a weird way, was so hyped up I didn't actually notice it creeping up on me and I really did feel trouble turning the light out that night and I wasn't even alone.

Good film I seen streaming recently which I knew nothing about is Get Out. Quite decent if you're not expecting much, make sure the lights are out though!.

Scream is brilliant, not really scary but it has some brilliant moments like the Hitchcock film where the guy lights a cigarette, that was a classic * moment

Zanderama likes this.
  10. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

There's a good zombie one on Netflix called 'The Night Eats The World' that's really good.

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    The Thing is brilliant, mind you when I think horror I don't think of sci-fi movies.

For me Nightmare on Elm Street, Blair Witch was freaky as ferk too and whilst not a movie the Salems Lot series way back (think it only had 2 or 3 parts) was scary.

The film that totally messed my head up was From Dusk Till Dawn, thankfully I never saw it coming, not that I think it was really that scary.

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
  13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Grave encounters. Scary. As. *.

I do like a horror.
    Especially utter * b movie style ones. Hilarious

14. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    @Sam Fender

I would recommend watching the remake of Funny Games. It's the same director, and pretty much a scene-for-scene remake. Probably the only time I will ever recommend an American remake of a foreign film, coz they're always *!!

Lilac Wine likes this.
  15. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    Martyrs (French version) is a very good horror. "Frontiers" and "Switchblade Romance" (aka "High Tension", or "Haute Tension") are also French and very good. Most of the best horrors nowadays are Foreign. South Korea and Japan have made some belters the past few years. If you can handle subtitles, then look for foreign horror films

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    elbhoydo likes this.
  16. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The hard bit now is finding the right mood, the original was completely original. It's a good thing to set up mind, can't make it all go wrong turn 8

Zanderama likes this.
  17. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    The original wasn't too successful, so think the director wanted to show it to a wider audience. So re-made it scene for scene, same script, etc, but in English. Wasn't very successful either haha. Check YouTube for a side by side view of the two films together. Would post it here, but dont know how to add spoilers

Lilac Wine likes this.
  18. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Oh don't do that, let folk just see the original and post the Otis Redding 'I've been loving you too long I can't stop now...' as the soundtrack

Zanderama likes this.
  19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Loved watching 1408

20. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Way back in the day a guy at work leant me a video , The Burning , watched it during the day and was still terrified . Saw the Exorcist and the first Halloween , called it a day I have never saw a Horror since .. #bigfeartie .