1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Olivier Ntcham

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Norm Peterson, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss Olivier Ntcham in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Nope sorry but Ntcham is still the better overall player, yes Christie has had a brilliant last 18 months but Ntcham on his day is levels above him imo.

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Played well yesterday, got a goal that will do him the world of good.
    Overall, playing well at the moment, does not deserve to be dropped.

3. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

for the last 18 months though I would have picked Christie & I’m sure most of us would.
    it’s what they do while playing for Celtic that counts. consistency, reliability, & team play shouldn’t be overlooked or diminished when comparisons are made.
    Overall Christie has proven the better player over the last 18 months.

Mickmac and rudebhoy67 like this.
  4. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Being technically good only counts for so much. For me the best player is the one you'd rather have in your team, who you can rely on to do the business week in week out to a high standard and that's Christie, Brown and Mcgregor. There are plenty of technically gifted players who don't make it big because they lack other attributes and for me Ntcham lacks in too many areas to be classed as a top player. You can't judge a players ability/worth on technique alone.

Spring Time likes this.
  5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Cham v Christie I love these debates. So many insightful comments :50:

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Think of Christie on his day though. Worldies, pressing, winning the ball back, cute bits of skill, goals in Europe, creative play. It's very much similar to Ntcham. Both have attributes that are slightly better, Ntcham the better passer, stronger, Christie th better goalscorer; Not much between them at their very best though.

JML67 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just reckon we should find a way to accommodate both.

8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Just a frustrating player at times, has all the ability in the world, but just sometimes looks like he can't be arsed.

Feel his work rate has got a wee bit better.

Think him and Christie are different in every way, mind you my fav is Rogic, just his injuries are as frustrating as Olis shots.

9. Cringer67

This ''on his day , the best player in Scotland'' has been peddled about a lot. The fact is, he is isnt ''on his day'' often enough. Id have Christie in there every time, and his numbers back this up. A nice problem to have a least.

Dannybhoy81 and Mickmac like this.
  10. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Strolled it last night, calm and composed on the ball and worked hard off it. Tidy finish for his goal too!

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    At their very best, I don't think it's even close; however Ntcham hits his vey best so much less often than Christie (if he even ever has!) that it seems a bit unfair to me to compare them too closely. Christie will always give you 100% where Ntcham will maybe give you 90% if and when it suits him. In my eyes, that counts for a lot.

But Christie at his best against Ntcham at his best is not even a contest IMHO.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I have to disagree

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If I was manager then I'd be picking Christie over Ntcham, as you can hang your hat on Christie giving you his all, regardless of the opposition. So in that sense, I'm not disagreeing with you.

My point was that when Ntcham is playing to his maximum, he is head and shoulders above any other midfielder in our squad or in the country. He's strong, mobile, composed, can play passes that others might not see eg. to Tierney on the byline to cross for Griff tap-in v Anderlecht or pass to Bolingoli at Fir Park at the start of this season, took 2 banks of 5 completely out the game, unlucky that Boli fluffed it.

I agree that there's far more to being a top player than just showing flashes of brilliance. Attitude, temperament and concentration; all of which Ntcham could be questioned on at times. He needs to work on them if he wants to develop and progress in the game as top teams don't take on players who pick and choose when they want to turn up.

It looks like he has now turned a corner and is back contributing to the team, long may it continue.

14. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    The truly good thing is they are both at Celtic. An embarrassment of riches...

bagforlife and Whoflungdung like this.
  15. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    As I said I think Ntcham has improved but I'd still take Christie at his best over Ntcham at his best every day of the week. Ntcham still gets caught in possession and misplaces passes under pressure. He usually passes the ball out the park at least once in most games and he still doesn't work hard enough for me even at his best. I've never been keen on Ntcham and it would take a lot for him to change my mind - at least now I don't get * off when I hear he's in the team.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I really like Ntcham and always have but to say it's not even a contest is harsh IMO.

Christie has been immense for 18 months now and is still developing.

A very nice problem for us to have.

Hammy89 likes this.
  18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Christie has technique and immense work rate, we've only just started to see Ntcham do the latter in recent weeks tbh. He's had the odd great game over the same time that Christie has had an extended run of great form where he's scored important goals and made assists in big games.

Both quality midfielders, but we still need to see a bit more of Oli in the side before saying he's the better player imo.

19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Simply put.. Ntcham with Christie's work rate = GOAT

lazyregula likes this.
  20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mate, if it's about who has been the better player FOR US, it's obviously Christie by a mile. That's a different question, though.

Something like how Berkovic was in a different league to Kris Commons at their respective bests; but Commons was a much better player for us.