1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Left side of midfield

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by freederry20, Jan 26, 2020.

Discuss Left side of midfield in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    I just thought of this, but for 20 years straight now we have had some absolute cracking left sided attacking players, all who chipped in with some of the most memorable goals of their time.

2000-2005 Alan Thompson
    2005-2009 Nakamura
    2008-2011 Shaun Maloney
    2011-2017 Kris Commons
    2017-2020 Scott Sinclair

Now we currently have Elyounnoissi who I hope we can sign permanently. That is 2 decades of pretty much fantastic continuity on the left! Every one of them on their day were unstoppable.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Don’t think we’ll get Elyounoussi permanently, sadly. You forgot McGeady. Also, Nakamura played on the right for us.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Doubt we will be able to afford to sign Elyounoussi permanently in the summer but would love to be wrong. Certainly I think we have to try and make it happen but the player would probably have to take a pay cut to make a deal happen wages wise never mind whether we could persuade Southampton to sell him to us for something like half the 16m they paid to buy him originally.
    The sooner we get him back the better he has been a big loss over the past couple of months.

4. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This is the standard we should be aiming for. Spending 2-3M each on a few players that may work, better spend 6 or 7 on a quality proven player. Look at our left back shambles, 3 players who cost almost 7 million and none trusted to fill the slot.

5. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It’s the left side of defence that’s giving me the absolute fear!

Dan Breen and shaunbhoy67 like this.
  6. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Did Southampton not name their price - 9m?

7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

While I get your point, and I agree. Nakamura never really played on the left for us. McGeady did at that time though

8. oh bhoy

Did commons or maloney ever play left side of midfield ? I have an awful hangover so memory is a bit fuzzy maybe Maloney a time of two, i still have nightmares of the great donkey samaras constantly pulling a home alone face

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I have no idea. But if they did and it is 9m then we should pay that for sure and then it would come down to the player and is he willing to take a pay cut to fit in with our salary structure. He could be offered basically Sinclair's salary now that he is gone. Still a long shot but certainly for me if 9m is the price and the player is willing to find a way to make the salary work we should pay it IMHO.

Dan Breen likes this.