1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Frasbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Theres no one better !

2. Frasbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    not playing football games for 3 weeks is a REST to these guys.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He has suffered from burnout, 100%. As has Forrest. Both entirely natural with the amount of games they play.

There are definitely occasions he should be rotated, we have enough good squad options to do it.

4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I thought you were deleting your account

Cena likes this.
  5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’ve no doubt that happened. We only ever see a snippet of the time in Dubai, an unsurprisingly that’s going to be the snippet with the most action.

There’s active recovery and passive recovery, with the former seemingly providing a few benefits over the latter.

I know Calum isn’t playing well. Honestly I don’t think he’s been at his best for a while. The question you have to ask yourself is - do you think the Celtic fitness staff have a good handle on things? I very much doubt they’re just running players into the ground while ignoring evidence that they’re exhausted.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  6. RiquelmeCSC

What you being an * for?

7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's just banter. I think you are totally wrong about Dubai that's all. As Paul says burnout is a very real thing and imo that's what we are seeing with Calmac.

RiquelmeCSC likes this.
  8. AMc88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Overworked to a ridiculous extent. Everyone saw it coming yet we've continued to play him in games he should have been rotated out of. I read he played the most minutes in world football last year. Testiment to the guy's fitness but that's not something to be celebrated, IMO. Actually, it's a * diagrace the amount he's relied upon. Then you get folk jumping on him the minute he looks off the boil. Sometimes it must feel like a thankless job.

9. Mince.Charming

I'm not sure if personnel has change since Rodgers was here.
    But there was definitely question marks over the handling of players.
    We ran Tierney into the ground.
    Giving players like Rogic etc pain killing injections and making their injures worse.
    We also have about 7 players we can't keep fit.
    Either they are being rushed back too quick or just total incompetence.
    It's too common for it to be coincidence.

10. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Guess you got to ask then has calmac got real competition for his place if he hasn’t been playing well ?

I’m starting to think he’s not as good in central midfield as he was further up supporting the attack he’s not a DM in a million years and I wouldn’t force him to be he’s better at the technical stuff I just wish he was a bit stronger on the ball

Let him loose further forward

11. marty89

Clubs at Celtic level have biometric data on every aspect of a modern footballers game. They know exactly how fatigued the players are physically based on their data.

I would suggest it has more to do with mental fatigue than anything. Surely you've seen someone at the top of there game then fall from grace. Adriano with his father being one example.

For me these key players need help in the form of players that can alleviate the load in mid pressure games like hearts at home, not nth division cup games. Turn up, be professional and let the result take care of itself. Whereas livi kicking you up and down the pitch giving it the this is our cup final, that's the game I would want someone capable giving me a break.

Not to bang a well beaten drum and would also say every campaign ever has it's failures and unforseens however the failure to get Mcginn and subsequently Turnbull added to a decent injury list with Rogic, Morgan, Kouassi etc not able to contribute added to Ntcham hitting his bad yin has exacerbated the problem further.

CalMac seems the type of guy who will take it on the chin and do his best for the club like andany winner would and get on with it which is all I ask of him.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

His body isn't tired. It's his mind. Sure dubai is great, but they are still playing. Litterly tell them to come back in 2 weeks no football and suddenly they miss it, they suddenly put that bit more effort in.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I would also say we don’t need to play wingers attacking midfielders like Christie rogic mcgegor can play behind Eddie at times it doesn’t need to be forrest and other wide men behind Eddie

14. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    In Dubai they intensified the training.

They should do that on the pitch not the training ground, this could be why we have the injuries we have ATM.

I also agree that Callum has played way too much football and it's up to the manager to realise this.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Bingo.

We have a gram of people from sport scientists to physios to doctors who will be able to quantify exactly how tired/fatigued any player is.

If they’re running him into the ground despite omit being clear that he’s physically exhausted, then questions need to be ask, but him not playing well can be attributed to numerous factors.

16. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Poor guy needs a break for a while , he has played too many games in the last couple of years .

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Get Robertson in in place of him next Saturday at home to County..

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CM: “I feel good fitness wise and I’m enjoying my football. I’m trying to help the team as much I can to get wins.”

CM:
    ClydeFC
    in the #ScottishCup: “Away games are difficult and we’ll approach it with the same attitude and mentality. We’ll go there and try to win.”

CM:Cup competitions are always difficult. You have to turn up and play well. It’s a good record we’ve got and we want to continue that. It’s something we are proud of, worked hard for it and don’t want to give it up.”

CM: The away games are difficult, especially in this league. The next fortnight will be tough. We want to come through the fixtures well. The winter break was good for us to refocus.”

CM: on potential additions: “It’s always important at big clubs to get competition in places and always healthy for the dressing room. The more quality players we get in will drive the quality up.”

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just seems to have lost his spark. He has not become a bad player, just totally flogged, not being game managed. Do we really need to play him 90min against the likes of Partick?? Lennon just does not trust his squad.